PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with creepy webcomic fans

TheDeeMan
09-24-2009, 04:00 AM
I ask because I have one and the damned comic just started.

There's this guy who's started posting on our mirror site who keeps asking artist Monique MacNaughton if he can be her "friend". But that's not the creepy part. The creepy part is that he then asks if he can't be Monique's friend can he at least be Fiona's friend.

For those of you who don't know, in "The Continentals" the character "Fiona" is the cross dressing adventuress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg. Not a real person.

So, I'm like "Dude, it's a comic--Get a life". Without actually saying it, of course. LOL!

None of this bothers Monique who has answered this guys posts. But it's sorta creepy to me. But is that enough? I mean, it doesn't matter if WE find Star Trek fans creepy or not, it's up to Shatner to say, "Get a life, people". Because creepy TO US is just adoration to others and I can just be seeing a problem (or a potential problem) where there is none.

Anyone got any creepy reader stories and how they dealt with them to share?

Dee

.................................................. .......
THE CONTINENTALS. It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.
www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

r nelson
09-24-2009, 04:13 AM
You could try to recruit a bunch of us from here to go over the Continentals' forum and make fun of the guy until he gets a clue.

Not naming names, but some of us here can be downright mean to dumbasses when we want to.

- Richard

EDIT: Just checked your webcomic out. It looks pretty cool.

Biofungus
09-24-2009, 04:23 AM
No, really, name names!!! :laugh:

It'll be fun!

TheDeeMan
09-24-2009, 07:09 AM
You could try to recruit a bunch of us from here to go over the Continentals' forum and make fun of the guy until he gets a clue.

Not naming names, but some of us here can be downright mean to dumbasses when we want to.

- Richard

EDIT: Just checked your webcomic out. It looks pretty cool.

Fortunately no forum. Unfortunately our mirror site where said "creepy guy" shows up is on Drunk Duck and all you need is to register an account to post comments.

I spoke to Monique about it again today. She is a bit creeped out by this guy too but says that sometimes guys like him are the nature of the webcomics beast. I don't know.

Thanks for kind words about my comic. :)

Dee

THE CONTINENTALS. It's like Sherlock Holmes meets the 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.

r nelson
09-24-2009, 11:58 AM
No, really, name names!!! :laugh:

It'll be fun!
Biofungus :nyah:

r nelson
09-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for kind words about my comic. :) You bet. So can I be friends with Monique now? :laugh: :laugh:

madelf
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Probably about all you can do is ignore him and hope he gets bored (and make sure your street address isn't available anywhere).

Although siccing the mean people on him might be entertaining.

TheDeeMan
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
You bet. So can I be friends with Monique now? :laugh: :laugh:

Quickly adds r. nelson to the creepy/pervy watch list. :)

Dee

.................................................. .....
THE CONTINENTALS. Murder, mystery, intrigue, adventure--And steampunk!!!

RonaldMontgomery
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
What's Drunk Duck's policy on stuff like this? When does he cross the line and what can you do about it?

NILgravity
09-24-2009, 05:04 PM
You should tell him she said to giver her a call and give him the number of a psychiatric facility

j giar
09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
You should tell him she said to giver her a call and give him the number of a psychiatric facility

:laugh:
God I love this place.

TheDeeMan
09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
What's Drunk Duck's policy on stuff like this? When does he cross the line and what can you do about it?

Honestly? I really don't know. When he crosses the line from being a harmlessly creepy foreign dude fawning over Monique (and Fiona) to being a less harmless creepy foreign dude fawning over Monique I'll sure as hell find out.

Dee

.................................................. ............
THE CONTINENTALS. It's like Sherlock Holmes meets The 60's tv show "The Avengers" with a dash of James Bond for flavor.

Scribbly
09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Honestly? I really don't know. When he crosses the line from being a harmlessly creepy foreign dude fawning over Monique (and Fiona) to being a less harmless creepy foreign dude fawning over Monique I'll sure as hell find out.
Dee
[/url]

Hey man, wasup!
Are you her husband? :p

HouseStark
09-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe the guy is just flirting or trying to be funny. What you described doesn't sound that creepy to me... the guy is doing what most of single guys do...he's trying to hook up. Now, if he was offering to collect her toe nail leavings for a pagan sex ritual, THAT might be creepy...unless you're a pagan, of course.

TheDeeMan
09-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Oh, like I said, things maybe getting lost in translation because he's foreign and the way he says things may lead to a lot of reading into them. So, I'm cool as long as Monique is cool. And it gives me ample opprotunity to tease her about her "boyfriend".

I brought this up on another forum and one of the guys there went completely overboard and said I should consider filing papers and shit because I had an obligation to society to stop this behavior NOW before he does something, if not to Monique, then to soemone else.. I was like, "Whoa! Dude, perspective please". Raising your flags with a weird way of putting things is a whole lot different then someone going to those extremes and hurting someone.

As long as Monique is cool, I'm cool. When she isn't, we'll take the necessary next step.

Dee

.................................................. ........
THE CONTINENTALS. Murder, mystery, intrigue, adventure--And steampunk.

Biofungus
09-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh, like I said, things maybe getting lost in translation because he's foreign and the way he says things may lead to a lot of reading into them. So, I'm cool as long as Monique is cool. And it gives me ample opprotunity to tease her about her "boyfriend".

So she doesn't have an actual boyfriend. Interesting...

Very interesting...

:sure: :slap:

TheDeeMan
09-25-2009, 07:32 PM
So she doesn't have an actual boyfriend. Interesting...

Very interesting...

:sure: :slap:

Quickly adds biofungus to the creepy/pervy watch list. :)

Dee

.................................................. ..

Biofungus
09-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Not quick enough, it seems...

r nelson
09-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Quickly adds biofungus to the creepy/pervy watch list. :) Welcome to the "cool" section, Bio.

macclint
10-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Curse it DEE! You said you would never tell about my infatuation with Monique! You promised that it would remain.... Oh... Wait...

This is about someone else isn't it? :whistlin:

TheDeeMan
10-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Curse it DEE! You said you would never tell about my infatuation with Monique! You promised that it would remain.... Oh... Wait...

This is about someone else isn't it? :whistlin:

Ugh...It WAS until now.

Dee

.................................................. ............

Scribbly
10-02-2009, 05:01 AM
When is the wedding DEE?

TheDeeMan
10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
When is the wedding DEE?

Yeah, laugh now. Just as long as you RSVP later. :)

Dee

.................................................. ......

-R-
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM
You know, I think it depends on the situation and your boundaries. You may just need to say, "hey, can you dial it back a little? We're glad you like the work but your constant requests to get 'friendly' with my collaborator is making things uncomfortable."

I've had a number of odd fans over the years.

One guy who read my stuff and kept sending me emails asking how "dark" I was and if I "did cyber". I told him dark was a matter of individual perspective, and no, I didn't cyber, which I shouldn't have, because he sent me another email, along similar lines, to which I didn't reply. After he sent me about five more unanswered emails, he stopped.

Another guy wanted to share some of his art, which was cool. We were talking on AIM and so he dropped a couple of his sketches into the window, and then a photo of himself and an extremely homoerotic picture of his "fursona", and asked if I had any pictures I wanted to share with him. That maybe I could reciprocate. I told him no, he pushed, so I blocked his account and moved on.

One other guy wanted to know when I was going to draw a particular character naked. That one was one of my favorites, I have to admit, because that guy wasn't the first, just the first to not immediately disappear from his side of the conversation when I dropped the bombshell on him. It went something like this:

Him: so when are you going to draw her naked? She's so hot. Maybe throw in a sex scene?
Me: She's a he. The character's male.
Him: So when are you going to draw him naked?

I mean, without pause. It was great.

The nice thing about the net is that you can usually just block someone, but the bad thing is that they can find ten other ways to contact you. From my experience with DD, you don't really have that option to killfilter someone's responses.

You do cons and it becomes a different animal.

Had a guy who drove three hours to a con to see me and stood at my table for hours. That was strange. When he wandered off at one point the guy at the table next to me was like, "dude, do you know that guy?" All I could do was shrug. I'd talked to him on IM once or twice, but that was it. He wasn't being rude or anything, he was just loitering, for hours...and it was a little odd. I've talked to him since then a few times, like a year later, and he's actually ok, but I think he's just a tad socially awkward.

After that it's just variations on a theme. There are a lot of quirky people out there, and comics, just like certain genres of films or books, have large populations of maladjusted fans to begin with. And some of them are also the creators. :nyah:

Though sometimes you end up with one that surprises you. Like a fan from my first comic who I actually spoke to on the phone (this was years ago), and I'd known him from another art forum for like half a year beforehand. And he was young and wide-eyed and optimistic. "You and I are going to be friends," he said, in that creepy, kind of overly happy sort of way. Knowing me at the time I said something crass and belittling. Yeah, well, it's now 12 years later and he's my oldest friend.

Mostly I just ignore them. As long as they're not local and physically tracking you down (which has also happened)...shrug. It may be a little disconcerting, but usually it's just around the edges and really not threatening.

Biofungus
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
So you're Monique, huh? Interesting...

VERY interesting... :sure:

:laugh:

chris stevens
10-02-2009, 07:35 PM
didn't read the whole thread here, but what's all the fuss about?

unless you're leaving something out, it seems like you have a fan. someone who follows your comics. be happy. life's full of shits&giggles don't take it so seriously.

TheDeeMan
10-03-2009, 01:16 AM
I think the title I chose "Dealing with a creepy webcomic fan" is a bit misleading. Especially since some folks have overreacted and been like "You should report him".

I think the whole "dealing with" part in the title made folks think there was an ACTUAL problem. He's NOT dangerous. Just a bit creepy. Not creepy enoguh to raise red flags, but creepy enough to mention, share sme stories about creep fans, and get a few laughs talking about.

Dee

.................................................. .........