PDA

View Full Version : How low (or high) can you go? (ad buying question)

JasonM
09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Question for independent creators:

A publication can offer a print run of 1000, 5000, or 10,000 units. The cost of a full page ad would be as follows:

1000 - $40
5000 - $150
10,000 - $260

This is a targeted ad (so it's going into a publication related to comics).The question is, would you purchase an ad in any of those categories?

Thanks for helping on this fact finding mission ;)

NewBabyProd
09-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Color or B/W?

JasonM
09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
color

ehobbs
09-23-2009, 05:56 PM
It's hard to give you a solid answer without knowing how the publication would be distributed.

JasonM
09-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm mostly just looking for ballparks to see if those numbers are just crazy. Let's say either in print or digital on cd.

Biofungus
09-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Assuming I had a product to peddle at the moment:

Print = Yes
Digital = Probably not (too easy to bypass ads, or just ignore them, vs. print ads, IMO)

ehobbs
09-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I might consider it in digital form if viewers we able to link to a site where my product/service was available.

JasonM
09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback, anyone else with some thoughts on this?

Babalouie
09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Personally, the big question for me is if those copies will get into people's hands or if they will be taking up space in your garage. If you could get 50% of you print run into people's hands I wouldn't hesitate to pay that. A minor consideration is the type of comic, but assuming your title is targeting the same demographic as mine (age group - all ages, young adult, adult, etc..), I think those very reasonable fees - again with the proviso that 50% of the run actually get into people's hands.

L Jamal
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Ad rates depend on the target demographic and reach.
Marvel has to combine their book into product lines in order to get enough eyes to interest real advertisers. While smaller rates may be in line with Marvel rates, they are less desirable because they reach less people.

I can take out a 10 x 10 full color ad in the local indie newspaper with a circulation of 45K and a readership of 192K for less than double your rate for 10K.

JasonM
09-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Interesting points. I suppose the disadvantage for the newspaper ad is that it's no where near targeted, where at least advertising for entertainment in something centered on entertainment is at least more targeted. Good point about the price though.

And what if the publication were given out for free? meaning it was a guarantee that within a certain amount of time, it would in fact be distributed to people at comic book conventions and other places with like minded audiences. Does that make it less or more desirable?

L Jamal
09-24-2009, 12:35 PM
And what if the publication were given out for free? meaning it was a guarantee that within a certain amount of time, it would in fact be distributed to people at comic book conventions and other places with like minded audiences. Does that make it less or more desirable?

Depends on the content ... Is it content that people are seeking out to read (like a newspaper) or content that is handed to them (like a typical convention handout)? Most convention handouts end up in the trash before being read.

MrGranger
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd probably be interested. Even though the local paper might be cheaper it would also have a lot more competing ads and the comic reader vs. non-comic reader would be much greater. 10k of comic readers is probably worth 100k general public for many publications.

NewBabyProd
09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
10k of comic readers is probably worth 100k general public for many publications.
That sounds very generous. Even if 10% of the general public reads comics, a comic-related ad may still be missed by a comic-reader in a publication of that sort. They already believe that most ads in the publication are not targeting them so they are ignored. Whereas if they are picking up a comic-related publication, they know that the ads are targeting them and pay more attention.

JasonM
09-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Very good point. I personally look at ads in comics but ignore them elsewhere - unless really bored and trapped somewhere!