Atom (Ray Palmer)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Green Arrow (Ollie)
The Guardian
Congorilla
Cyborg
Starfire
Dr. Light

There's an ad in Blackest Night #3 which shows the complete group shot.

Moonrider
09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Whaddaya know. Dick finally made it.

ponyrl
09-18-2009, 02:44 PM
its over. you throw a monkey into any book, it ALL becomes about the monkey!

:laugh:

theflash
09-18-2009, 03:00 PM
uh oh. Dick Grayson and Starfire on the same team is dangerous. Where's the freakin Flash? Hell grab Wally and it's a Teen Titans reunion!

And seriously...what's a Congorilla?

Moonrider
09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
It's either a gorilla that came from Congo, or a guy who always go apeshit crazy whenever he attended a comic book convention.

Eugene Selassie
09-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Man...

I really don't see Guardian doing this AND the Science Police. He's needed MUCH more by the S.P. right now.

Starfire...she's never shown an inkling of wanting to step up to the League. Maybe she's outgrown the Titans, but she'd fit better there, or as support in an Adam Strange series or even R.E.B.E.L.S.

There should've been a speedster, ANY speedster on the League. And for Vixen and Firestorm to get the shaft so soon...irks me.

Same goes for Roy. Why promote him, when Ollie's just gonna come in and DEMOTE him just as quickly?

theflash
09-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Man...

I really don't see Guardian doing this AND the Science Police. He's needed MUCH more by the S.P. right now.

Starfire...she's never shown an inkling of wanting to step up to the League. Maybe she's outgrown the Titans, but she'd fit better there, or as support in an Adam Strange series or even R.E.B.E.L.S.

There should've been a speedster, ANY speedster on the League. And for Vixen and Firestorm to get the shaft so soon...irks me.

Same goes for Roy. Why promote him, when Ollie's just gonna come in and DEMOTE him just as quickly?

Yeah, I'd be fine if they killed Guardian outright honestly. He seems so out of place on this team. It's not like he'll be in a leadership role.

Starfire is there for the sexual tension between her and Batman. Happens every time they get within arms reach of one another, and since the steamy stuff played so well between Roy and Kendra...you know they want to keep that up. JLA is quickly becoming the comic equivalent of Day's of our Lives.

And yeah you'd think with four freaking Flashes to choose from they could manage at least one for this team. They'll be sorry about that I can guarantee it. Problem is Barry's got...issues, and if Wally were to join they'd might as well call it the Adult Titans, and bring back George Perez to draw it!

After all the face time Roy got in his appearances I have to wonder if they aren't going to use him more elsewhere. He's the younger, cooler version of Ollie, and he gets just as much leg...might be cool in his own series, or as a regular guest in someone elses book.

chris stevens
09-19-2009, 05:21 PM
dc continues to flounder. that's a lousy line-up if ever there was one.

Paul Sanderson
09-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Ray Palmer is back as the Atom? That's great news indeed :) Hal as GL, Barry as the Flash, Ray as the Atom. My childhood triumvirate is again complete ;)

As to the JLA lineup...it's certainly not a bad one, but it isn't great either. They really need to stick with the big guns and make that work rather than constantly bring in this second stringers (or if you do bring in second stringers, have them as additions to the big guns, not as replacements).

Allegory Comics
09-20-2009, 12:49 AM
It never fails. Every few years they restart JLA, trying to get back to its roots, and eventually the roster changes until all its power hitters are gone and the team is left with a bunch of losers -- like Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner, Booster Gold, etc.

This is just the latest downgrade.

The only REAL JLA is Superman, Batman (Bruce), Wonder Woman, GL (Hal), Flash, and either Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, or Hawkman (or all three).

Grant Morrison's lineup came the closest I've ever seen DC get in modern history. This team looks more like Teen Titans than JLA to me, and I like the Titans, but never enough to buy their books. So guess what?

Ian Ascher
09-20-2009, 08:52 AM
For months now DC has said that 2010 is the year of the Justice League. That a huge Justice League centered story is going to be their big event book.

This is the filler until they get to that point.

James Robinson can't be any worse on the book than Dwayne McDuffie was and, editorial decree aside, Dwayne wasn't all that great.

In the absence of Bruce, Clark, and Diana, seeing Dick, Donna and the other Titans take over roles in the Justice League is cool to me. These were the sidekicks, the kids trained by the Justice League to be the next generation. If DC had made the original Titans the Justice League it would be an evolution. It would make sense. Even if it's only half of them and they include Cyborg and Starfire, it's still cool to me.

If it were me I'd have the Wolfman/Perez Titans with Hal, Barry, and Ray to anchor the team. The dynamic between Dick and Hal would be outstanding.

But it's not my call so, oh well.

I'll stay with the Justice League. I have through thick and thin and I'm not going to stop now.

We're only about a year away from having the traditional, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Atom, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Firestorm, JLA back.

(Let's just hope when we do we get a writer that can make that dynamic work)

Allegory Comics
09-20-2009, 11:20 AM
If it were me I'd have the Wolfman/Perez Titans with Hal, Barry, and Ray to anchor the team. The dynamic between Dick and Hal would be outstanding.

But it's not my call so, oh well.
But both Dick and Hal ARE on this team (along with Cyborg and Starfire). So you kinda get your wish.
We're only about a year away from having the traditional, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Atom, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Firestorm, JLA back.
"only" he says? :p

KidIntense
09-20-2009, 04:38 PM
if the traditional JLA will be back on 2010, will it mean the return of the one true Batman who happens to be Bruce Wayne?

Paul Sanderson
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM

(Let's just hope when we do we get a writer that can make that dynamic work)

That's cool, and I'm willing to give this filler JLA a chance. And I don't mind if Dick stays as Batman for quite awhile. I know Bruce will be back in time, and that's as it should be, but Dick as Batman is a natural evolution (other former sidekicks becoming the adult version isn't always as natural), so I'm happy with him as Batman for the time being.

Ian Ascher
09-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah...

I do get half my wish with some of the Titans as Justce League. I just wish it was the full package. All of them trying to live up to the ideals set forth by their mentors and the secondary charactoers like Cyborg, Starfire, and Raven reminding them they don't always have to be as "perfect" as those that came before them. Would make for some great stories.

We'll see if there's a bit of a grind between Hal and Dick.

As for being about a year out.... that's nothing in terms of the monthly format. We're just one or two quick story arcs away from everything coming back together... the return of the real Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman... the real Justice League.

:thumbs:

Eugene Selassie
09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
1. I think Guardian is a great character, but with Dick and Ollie here, I don't see a use for him.

B. I HATE when Starfire is brought into a book SOLELY to create sexual tension. GIVE HER SOME DEPTH ALREADY.
And seriously, the Dick/Kory ship...it sailed almost two decades ago and it's really getting old. Can we move on from that tripe?

And Plothorg. I really can't stand the whole "If the big guns aren't in the Justice League, I won't read it." Grant Morrison did that already. Go back and read the trades.
It annoys me because too many good books get cancelled because of the mentality of "If Superman, Batman, Trinity, Spider Man, X-men aren't in a book, I won't buy it."

Allegory Comics
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I really can't stand the whole "If the big guns aren't in the Justice League, I won't read it." Grant Morrison did that already. Go back and read the trades.
But for many people (like me), that's the only REAL JLA. I understand the need to shake things up and keep them fresh and unpredictable, but you have to eventually go back to basics -- if only to shake them up again.

Having a bunch of D-list characters on a team and calling them "JLA" is like calling Supergirl/Batgirl "World's Finest" ... or Superboy/Robin ... or Mon-El/Damian. It's not the same. Likewise, Ollie and Hal work well together because who they are. It's just not the same with Speedy and Kyle (or Guy, or John, or Alan, or anyone). The teams are great because of the people and the personalities. You can't just put someone new in the same costume and think it will work the same.

Now I will admit, my curiosity is a little piqued when describing this in terms of the Titans all evolving to assume the roles of their mentors (thanks, Ian). But I could only accept that as a passing storyarc, and not as the new status quo.

They will never be the REAL JLA to me.

Doctor Shock
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Man Comics are complicated nowadays. Here it is Sept 09 the 70th anniversary of Batman and Bruce isn't in the costume. You don't have Superman or Wonder Woman either. But great news in a year DC has "promised" to make these characters come back and be great again. Why didn't they make them great allready? I'll just stick to back issues and forget about trying to keep up with this mess. I'd rather save my money than buy this stuff hoping it'll be good.

ronin7
09-21-2009, 05:52 PM
1. I think Guardian is a great character, but with Dick and Ollie here, I don't see a use for him.

B. I HATE when Starfire is brought into a book SOLELY to create sexual tension. GIVE HER SOME DEPTH ALREADY.
And seriously, the Dick/Kory ship...it sailed almost two decades ago and it's really getting old. Can we move on from that tripe?

And Plothorg. I really can't stand the whole "If the big guns aren't in the Justice League, I won't read it." Grant Morrison did that already. Go back and read the trades.
It annoys me because too many good books get cancelled because of the mentality of "If Superman, Batman, Trinity, Spider Man, X-men aren't in a book, I won't buy it."

I also hate Starfire written as sexual tension plot device; I'd rather some one give her a personality that defines her, so she contributes something to the JLA. I don't see Robinson doing that.

And I must be the only one who loved the Joe Kelly JLA run, as well as the Formerly Known and I can't believe it's not the Justice League.

Eugene Selassie
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
And I must be the only one who loved the Joe Kelly JLA run, as well as the Formerly Known and I can't believe it's not the Justice League.

No, you're not Ronin...very intriguing runs on the book.

Some people just can't get their heads out of 1985's ass. :yawn:

Eugene Selassie
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
But for many people (like me), that's the only REAL JLA.

And you do realize that mentality is who Dan Didio and company are catering to...

THAT is why new readers aren't coming to DC.

As much as I HATE the direction of many of Marvel's titles, THEY know how to pull in Joe Blow off the street and get him to start reading comics.

Until the catering to the Silver/Bronze age fans stops, DC will always be #2.

Allegory Comics
09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
And you do realize that mentality is who Dan Didio and company are catering to...

THAT is why new readers aren't coming to DC.

As much as I HATE the direction of many of Marvel's titles, THEY know how to pull in Joe Blow off the street and get him to start reading comics.

Until the catering to the Silver/Bronze age fans stops, DC will always be #2.
How are they catering to my crowd, exactly? I haven't had my lineup since 1996, and even then it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and it didn't last then either. It's mostly been new lineups like this. And how well is that working out for them? On the other hand, when Morrison reintroduce the big players to the league in the 1990s it was a HUGE success ... until he dropped them all in favor or Artemis, Steel, Plastic Man and others.

Historical evidence shows that fans want MY lineup. The REAL lineup.

They have plenty of opportunities to get new readers without replacing characters in their own books. They're doing the same thing in Superman comics. If they want to gain new readers with new characters, create a series and do it. They don't need to hijack a series already in progress and ruin it for longtime fans all in the hope of getting one more casual fan who wouldn't otherwise know the difference between Lex Luthor and Lex Lugor.

Ian Ascher
09-21-2009, 08:58 PM

You're not the only one....

The Joe Kelly/Doug Mahnke issues were really something to take notice of. A very under-rated run on the book.

The Bwah ha ha ha Justice League will always be right up near the top for me. We didn't always have the big guns but the characters worked and the stories were creative and different. Guy vs Batman. Beetle and Booster. Fire and Ice. Martian Manhunter and Oreos. Just great stuff I've read over and over and over.

Ian Ascher
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Now I will admit, my curiosity is a little piqued when describing this in terms of the Titans all evolving to assume the roles of their mentors (thanks, Ian). But I could only accept that as a passing storyarc, and not as the new status quo.

The Titans as the "real" JL would never work simply because I don't ever see DC giving the concept enough time to truly evolve into what it could be. We would get 12 to 18 issues at most before the originals all came back and cast the Titans aside.

Maybe some day when I'm writing for DC they'll see the beauty of it and I'll get my own Elseworlds book.

Paul Sanderson
09-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I loved the BWAHAHAHA JL too, but it really was a product of its time. But at the time, I thought it was brilliant. Still do.

Look, the concept of the JLA is "the best of the best". Without the big guns there, it just isn't that. Doesn't mean it can't be good, I'm well aware of that, but the JLA deserves to be the best. Doesn't mean you can't have some second stringers there in amongst the big guns. They did that during the titles absolute golden years during the 60s/70s/early 80s.

RandallFlagg
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Look, the concept of the JLA is "the best of the best". Without the big guns there, it just isn't that. Doesn't mean it can't be good, I'm well aware of that, but the JLA deserves to be the best. Doesn't mean you can't have some second stringers there in amongst the big guns.
I have to kind of disagree. If the JLA was just best of the best, there should have been a team of Superman, Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter, Supergirl, Mary Marvel, The Spectre, Wonder Woman, all of the Earth Green Lanterns, and probably the Flash, but you really don't need him since most other people on the team are already superfast.

The idea of all of the big guns doesn't really work. Not exactly. But what would work better is the idea of the JL like the JLU cartoon. The idea that you have all of the heroes on reserve with different teams for different jobs. Sometimes you have jobs that Batman, Green Arrow, and the Question as a team would work best for. Other times, the Flash and Green Lantern. You need everyone. And I do mean everyone.

Paul Sanderson
09-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Nonsense! The big guns together has always worked and worked well. And I disagree with several on your list.

KidIntense
09-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Soon, it will be time to bring back Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (Bruce Wayne), Flash (Wally West), even Green Lantern (Jon Stewart). I think the big guns are the most powerful in the DC universe. besides, there is only one Batman, and that is Bruce Wayne.

Allegory Comics
09-21-2009, 11:56 PM
But what would work better is the idea of the JL like the JLU cartoon. The idea that you have all of the heroes on reserve with different teams for different jobs. Sometimes you have jobs that Batman, Green Arrow, and the Question as a team would work best for. Other times, the Flash and Green Lantern. You need everyone. And I do mean everyone.
I agree with that, and I would have no problem with it. I liked that model in JLU, and I think it would work well in the comics also. As long as the core members are the "bigs guns" leading everyone - the way we saw it on the show.

Eugene Selassie
09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree with that, and I would have no problem with it. I liked that model in JLU, and I think it would work well in the comics also. As long as the core members are the "bigs guns" leading everyone - the way we saw it on the show.

I also agree. I cannot fathom why DC hasn't done this already. I wouldn't use the ENTIRE DCU but I would include EVERY person who has ever been a Leaguer and any lower tier hero in need of exposure.

I'd leave out the JSA, Titans, Outsiders, etc unless its a member or two finally stepping up to the big leagues (Garth becoming Aquaman, etc...).

The big guns are the field leaders of rosters of mid level heroes.

I'd be cool with that.

Eugene Selassie
09-22-2009, 01:35 PM
AND...with the Hall AND Satellite around, WHY is it taking so long for there to be two Leagues?

The satellite group can deal with the Grant Morrison-esque threats,
while the hall group can deal with the grounded subplots that Meltzer had such a knack for during his run and Identity Crisis.

Sounds like win-win to me.

Allegory Comics
09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I wondered that also. We used to have multiple LEAGUE books. Why not again? We could keep JLA about the core members to please the purists like myself, and have 2 or 3 different JL titles devoted to other teams to attract new readers and introduce lesser played characters.

Here's a fun exercise. What would those teams be called, and who would be on them?

I wouldn't mind seeing all the core characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, et al.) back in the main title and then maybe rename it JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, because they are the central unit overseeing all other teams everywhere in the world, and they are our global protectors from the Watchtower satellite. Then we could have another JL: America with members that focus themselves on US threats only (HQ'ed in the Hall), and other teams devoted specifically to other areas of the world.

I think they did something like this in the 90s, but it was nowhere near this scale and I don't think they were all integrated or monitored by a single core unit.

Lovecraft13
09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Morrison's JLA was gods fighting others gods on a galactic level.

When you bring in 2nd or 3rd tier characters for more "blah blah blah's" and foil devices, then it's not a team book, it's a soap opera. I don't really care to see Donna Troy and Congorilla team up to stop Deathstroke or Grundy. I want to see Bruce Wayne's Batman outsmart Death and Superman slam Darkseid through a moon.

Not that this cast is permanent. They're obviously just there as seat-fillers, which makes it even less engaging.

Eugene Selassie
09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Satellite team: Wonder Woman (leader), Superman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, The Atom (Ryan Choi), Hawkgirl, Negative Man (yes, I said it.)

Hall of Justice team: Black Canary (leader), Batman, Flash, Aquaman (Garth promoted?), Martian Manhunter, Power Girl (Hey, Meltzer had the trinity agree it was overdue) Vixen, Firestorm, Connor Hawke

The teams can interact via teleporters.
J'onn would be on both rosters. He can gather intelligence, coordinate with both team leaders and he doesn't have that pesky civilian id to cramp his time.
At anytime, if John Stewart is busy, he can tag in Rayner, Gardner or Jordan, if they're available. Same with Barry and Wally.
I'm sure I'll hear complaints...

Allegory Comics
09-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Mine would be very political, dealing with logisitics of operating the teams efficiently and effectively. Also dealing with current sociopolitical economy of our world and trying to apply the role of the hero equally in two regions that are not equal. After all, global cultures are different, and we can't behave the same in Iran as we do in the U.S., or in China, or in Rome. They all have unique challenges that would make each team different, and occassionally cause conflict between the teams.

My teams would be:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED (Watchtower):
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (they share leadership and can only decide legislative matters on a majority vote of 2-1 or greater). Also on the team would be Flash, Hal Jordan, and Martian Manhunter. Oracle would be on the team also, and she would manage all of the communications and team databases. She would rarely go on missions, but she could remotely assist them by hacking computers or overwriting security systems from the tower.

There would be three earth-based teams, and Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman would be on three different teams to watch over them. The other three members could assist any team, as needed, but would not be officially tied to them.

JL: AMERICAS (Hall of Justice)
Superman (leader - chosen for his midwestern ties and American symbolism), Green Arrow, Stargirl

JL: EUROPE
Wonder Woman (leader - chosen for her familiarity with mediterrainian cultures), Capt. Marvel, Plastic Man

JL: EAST
Batman (leader - chosen for his training in the easten arts), Atom, Power Girl

Each team would obviously have a 2 or 3 more members, but I can't decide which ones yet. I want each team to be different, and not just a rehash of one another.

The League also would have a group of ambassadors to assist them and advise them in other areas. They would have ambassadors of the seas (Aquaman), New Krypton (Supergirl), Oa (John Stewart), etc.

It would be very complicated, but I think if you could pull it off it would be an amazing thing - really showcasing the global effort of the League and how they handle threats in different cultures while still trying to adhere to some singular definition of "hero" and get along with each other.

The Dag
09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
its over. you throw a monkey into any book, it ALL becomes about the monkey!

:laugh:

ape... its a ape..

Eugene Selassie
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Mine would be very political, dealing with logisitics of operating the teams efficiently and effectively. Also dealing with current sociopolitical economy of our world and trying to apply the role of the hero equally in two regions that are not equal. After all, global cultures are different, and we can't behave the same in Iran as we do in the U.S., or in China, or in Rome. They all have unique challenges that would make each team different, and occassionally cause conflict between the teams.

My teams would be:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED (Watchtower):
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (they share leadership and can only decide legislative matters on a majority vote of 2-1 or greater). Also on the team would be Flash, Hal Jordan, and Martian Manhunter. Oracle would be on the team also, and she would manage all of the communications and team databases. She would rarely go on missions, but she could remotely assist them by hacking computers or overwriting security systems from the tower.

There would be three earth-based teams, and Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman would be on three different teams to watch over them. The other three members could assist any team, as needed, but would not be officially tied to them.

JL: AMERICAS (Hall of Justice)
Superman (leader - chosen for his midwestern ties and American symbolism), Green Arrow, Stargirl

JL: EUROPE
Wonder Woman (leader - chosen for her familiarity with mediterrainian cultures), Capt. Marvel, Plastic Man

JL: EAST
Batman (leader - chosen for his training in the easten arts), Atom, Power Girl

Each team would obviously have a 2 or 3 more members, but I can't decide which ones yet. I want each team to be different, and not just a rehash of one another.

The League also would have a group of ambassadors to assist them and advise them in other areas. They would have ambassadors of the seas (Aquaman), New Krypton (Supergirl), Oa (John Stewart), etc.

It would be very complicated, but I think if you could pull it off it would be an amazing thing - really showcasing the global effort of the League and how they handle threats in different cultures while still trying to adhere to some singular definition of "hero" and get along with each other.

I like your concept but

1. I don't think they'll give the Justice League more than 2 books (Despite Marvel having 5 Avengers books (when Young Avengers is out) and ALL of them are selling.

2. I LOVE the political angle, but I don't think they would allow real world politics in such a high profile book such as Justice League. It is usually reserved for books like Checkmate and Freedom Fighters. I think they're scared to deal with politics in JLA. Its why I've always been more an Avengers fan...until recent years.

Allegory Comics
09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
We aren't talking about what we think DC would REALLY do. We're talking about what we'd LIKE TO SEE.

I don't think 4 titles is too much. It would basically be an interwoven weekly series, with independent storylines and creators. I also don't see a problem with basing it in real world politics either. I'm not talking about using real politicians or real world leaders. Just mirroring actual political climates in other countries and how that affects the League's ability to do what they do.

I basically want to examine what it means to be a global hero in our modern, politically segregated world. Why hasn't Superman swooped in and stopped wars in the Middle East? In my story, it's because he doesn't want to caudal humanity. He wants to let them remember how to fight for themselves. And he's afraid of triggering a global super war that normal people may not survive (see: Kingdom Come). It's kind of like superheroes standing in for our real world threat of escalation toward nuclear war.

No ... they'll never do it. But we aren't exactly pitching here, are we?

Eugene Selassie
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Satellite team: Wonder Woman (leader), Superman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, The Atom (Ryan Choi), Hawkgirl, Negative Man (yes, I said it.)

Hall of Justice team: Black Canary (leader), Batman, Flash, Aquaman (Garth promoted?), Martian Manhunter, Power Girl (Hey, Meltzer had the trinity agree it was overdue) Vixen, Firestorm, Connor Hawke

The teams can interact via teleporters.
J'onn would be on both rosters. He can gather intelligence, coordinate with both team leaders and he doesn't have that pesky civilian id to cramp his time.
At anytime, if John Stewart is busy, he can tag in Rayner, Gardner or Jordan, if they're available. Same with Barry and Wally.
I'm sure I'll hear complaints...

Diana's group would be taking on the likes of Despero, Starbreaker, White Martians, etc...
They'd also start interacting with super teams from other nations and other worlds.

Dinah's group would take on the likes of Prometheus, the Injustice Gang, a new Ultramarine Corps, etc...
They'd have an interesting job as they'd be dealing with the fallout from Identity Crisis that subsequent writers have seen fit to sweep under the rug.

Paul Sanderson
09-23-2009, 07:43 PM

When you bring in 2nd or 3rd tier characters for more "blah blah blah's" and foil devices, then it's not a team book, it's a soap opera. I don't really care to see Donna Troy and Congorilla team up to stop Deathstroke or Grundy. I want to see Bruce Wayne's Batman outsmart Death and Superman slam Darkseid through a moon.

Not that this cast is permanent. They're obviously just there as seat-fillers, which makes it even less engaging.

The absolute peak of the JLA title was during the 70s and early 80s when the big guns were there, but there were others too. Alongside Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL, Flash etc. were Zatanna, the Atom, Firestorm, Red Tornado, Green Arrow etc. etc. And it worked superbly well. Galactic foes were faced as well as more lower key enemies from time to time. And that's as it should be.

Ian Ascher
09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Just bought DC Comics Classic Library Justice League of America by George Perez.

Reprints Justice League 184-186 and 192-194 in a nice Hardcover format.

That should hold me over for a week...

ronin7
09-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Morrison's JLA was a derivative of Gardner Fox's run; he just threw them against all the foes G.F. created except the White Martians, which he created himself, Darkseid created by Kirby, Asmodel which he created himself, and some other well known League villains.

I'd personally rather see some more character dynamics in the book rather than non-stop fist to face action; a healthy balance of both to be more clearer.

-Mick

Biofungus
09-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Last time they did that though, they were chastised and derided for delving too much into 'comedy' (isn't that why they shifted it over to the JSA, which practically became a Saturday Night Live skit that didn't know when to end).

Eugene Selassie
09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
To be honest, that's why I preferred Mark Waid/Bryan Hitch run over Morrison's.

It had the big sweeping Morrison-esque action AND the character dynamic that the book had been COMPLETELY LACKING in the previous three years.

ronin7
09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
To be honest, that's why I preferred Mark Waid/Bryan Hitch run over Morrison's.

It had the big sweeping Morrison-esque action AND the character dynamic that the book had been COMPLETELY LACKING in the previous three years.

Tower Of Babel was the best JLA story I read from the period after Morrison up to Joe Kelly; with Earth 2 being a close second. I haven't read all of Waid's JLA run, but I know that his runs on any comic book series have more ups and downs than a yo-yo.

Eugene Selassie
09-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Tower Of Babel was the best JLA story I read from the period after Morrison up to Joe Kelly; with Earth 2 being a close second. I haven't read all of Waid's JLA run, but I know that his runs on any comic book series have more ups and downs than a yo-yo.

I don't know that I agree.
I WILL be honest in that the ONLY Legion of Super Heroes that I've enjoyed this decade was Jim Shooter's stuff when he took over from Waid and I wasn't feeling Mark's return to Flash...
But his Fantastic Four was nearly flawless, as well as his JLA.

Paul Sanderson
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Just bought DC Comics Classic Library Justice League of America by George Perez.

Reprints Justice League 184-186 and 192-194 in a nice Hardcover format.

That should hold me over for a week...

Beautiful. Nice purchase, enjoy it :)