PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Avengers

Phatman
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Millar and Pacheco:

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22325

Is it just me or does this look like a possible line up for the Avenger's movie? I have a feeling this is the testing grounds that Marvel is using for the film.

Nano-Love
07-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Hulk looks like he's taking a dump. And has to strain real hard, too.

Is that Perun in the back?

Biofungus
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
You'd have to push hard too if your pants where that tight...

So no Thor, and half the Fantastic Four are on the team. Odd.

Nano-Love
07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Props for Blade, though. That's cool... I hope.

Cap kinda looks like he's hailing the wrong team. "You think this A stands for Axis Powers?"

HaphazardJoy
07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Is it just me or does this look like a possible line up for the Avenger's movie? I have a feeling this is the testing grounds that Marvel is using for the film.

Except that Blade, Spidey, Daredevil, and the FF are licensed out to other studios, so extremely unlikely that they'll be part of the Avengers movie. Spidey is actively being developed, there's still some talk about another FF move, as well as Blade (even though Snipes is still in jail), and there's stalks about Fox using the Daredevil license while they have it to reboot (there's even an article where Jason Statham says he'd love to be Daredevil and work with Frank Miller, and Frank agrees).
Same with X-men characters obviously.

Cap, Thor, Ironman, AntMan, Hulk, Fury, Black Widow, they're all in play obviously.

Phatman
07-31-2009, 05:03 PM
You'd have to push hard too if your pants where that tight...

So no Thor, and half the Fantastic Four are on the team. Odd.

Who is the guy with the hammer and sickle?

I think Sue Storm is an excuse to put Jessica Alba into another movie and the movie Thing looks pretty cool---I thought I read that the movie rights to most of Marvel's properties are going back to them in the next couple of years, but I could be worng..

Nano-Love
07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Who is the guy with the hammer and sickle?

Looks like Perun, Russian (or Slavic, rather) God of Thunder. He was part of the Liberators who invaded the USA in Millar's Ultimates 2.

Phatman
07-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Looks like Perun, Russian (or Slavic, rather) God of Thunder. He was part of the Liberators who invaded the USA in Millar's Ultimates 2.

Cool---I think I remember him.

Nano-Love
07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Hmmm, why would Fury put him on the team though, considering Perun's history? Maybe its, dun-dun-dunnn... Ultimate Thunderstrike...?

Knuckles
07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe he was a double agent. Millar likes to use those.

Callen493
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
maybe he just needs that kind of power and Thor (having been ruined by Loeb) just can't cut it.

Ian Ascher
08-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think anyone that appears on the back half of that cover is on the team...

****SPOILER****

It's just the other survivors of the nightmare that was Ultimatum. Easily one of the worst crisis style event books in ANY continuity.

Biofungus
08-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Re: Ultimatum

The story isn't great, but they're killing off people left and right. If they stick with it, it's a great way to whittle down the Ultimates universe.

Ian Ascher
08-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Re: Ultimatum

The story isn't great, but they're killing off people left and right. If they stick with it, it's a great way to whittle down the Ultimates universe.

IF they stick with it...

The last page of the mini leads me to believe Scarlet Witch is already back and the mastermind behind the entire event.

galmando
08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Universe is far too comlicated, end of. they lost control of it

Ian Ascher
08-09-2009, 02:44 PM
From Newsarama
This should answer a couple of questions about the series...

Ultimate Avengers will have a Red Skull villain variant cover. This Red Skull will be the illegitimate son of Cap from the ‘40s. You’ll see the “Cap sex scene” in issue #2; Cap’s girlfriend has to give the baby up to SHIELD, and this is the result.

“I love Ultimate Hawkeye and Ultimate Cap; I love that he hates the French, you can do stuff with Ultimate Cap that you just can’t do.” Millar also threatens a five page insult to the French in issue #5. He’s probably kidding.

“We’re also changing up teams quite a lot.” Red Skull story is by Carlos Pacheco; the #7-12 issues are Leinil Francis Yu. Millar promises a huge artist coming later for the fourth arc; he calls him the “best –selling artist this decade, I think.”

Millar says, “We’re creating a whole new bunch of characters; we’re creating a new Wasp, a new War Machine. There’s a character called The Spider, that’s a cannibal Spider-Man. There’s an African-American Hulk that’ll have been Bruce Banner’s mentor.”

ronin7
08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I highly doubt that Millar is kidding. He's put insulting material to us Americans before. He's also insulted poor people, and non-literates. I can only imagine France will ban this comic from their stores once they see his insults, but he doesn't care. He's making money off of his film investments, and creator owned properties.

Callen493
08-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Well how could illiterates be offended by anything he has written?

Ian Ascher
08-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Who bought it...?
Who read it...?

I did and I liked it. It's a good continuation of everything that's gone down in the Ultimate Universe and the art by Carlos is solid. A very cool intro to the Ultimate Red Skull.

onizuka43
08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
It felt like this comic was totally back on track to the way when I first started reading it. Then the art was so well done, I can't wait for the next issue. The Ultimate universe may finally be back to it's original greatness. Though Ultimate Spider-man was still great even to the end.

L Jamal
08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Bought it, enjoyed it and now waiting on the trade.

ronin7
08-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Well how could illiterates be offended by anything he has written?

I'm not talking about people who can't read, I'm talking about people who are not book snobs.

JamieRoberts
08-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm not talking about people who can't read, I'm talking about people who are not book snobs.
Uh.... what?

I bought it today, along with USM #1 (or more appropriately, UC: S-M #1). For a comic that consists of two scenes, it was far, far more interesting than the last few issues of Ultimates 2. I imagine it breathes entirely different air to Ultimates 3.

It's good to see Pacheco back at Marvel. I loved his X-Men run and Avengers Forever is just incredible. His art here has certainly developed since then, and there's something that bugs me (I think it's the way he's letting the colouring do more of the work than usual) but overall it's a fantastic looking issue.

Very happy with it, even if it was quite brief.

vartemis
08-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Bought it... and I'm on the fence. I also picked up Yu's variant because it looked great. First time I have bought a variant cover in ages.

As for why I'm on the fence...

1)It starts off with a reference to Ultimatum, which I didn't read, and I felt like I was missing some important information.

2)It didn't really feel like a lot happened in the issue.

3)It doesn't feel like an "ultimate" comic to me. The first 2 series seemed like they were set in the "real world" as close as super heroes could be. Ultimates Vol 1 and 2 felt like it was between the Knights and Max line, while being set in the real world. The third series felt like it was right back in with the rest of the Marvel U. This one isn't as "comic booky" as Vol 3, but it just doesn't give me the same feeling I got from 1 and 2. It feels like a book from the regular Marvel U, just using it to push out a different version of Avengers stories without having to be bogged down in decades of continuity. Even the look of the characters has changed. I loved the way Cap looked in the first 2 volumes. His uniform looked realistic. This one looks like the one from Vol 3, same as the regular costume without the wings on the head.

As for the actual plot line... I'm going to keep reading to see where it goes.

j

hellblazer72
08-15-2009, 04:04 PM
i've been a pacheco fan since avengers forever, but i wasn't digging his art on the book. it could have been the inker since his usual inker is pencilling jsa now.

JamieRoberts
08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
1)It starts off with a reference to Ultimatum, which I didn't read, and I felt like I was missing some important information.
Really, all you need to know is that Magneto killed loads of people in NY with a tidal wave. I didn't read it either.
2)It didn't really feel like a lot happened in the issue.
I see what you mean, but I think Millar's best stories are paced pretty slowly. I'll wait until after #2 until I comment.
3)It doesn't feel like an "ultimate" comic to me. The first 2 series seemed like they were set in the "real world" as close as super heroes could be. Ultimates Vol 1 and 2 felt like it was between the Knights and Max line, while being set in the real world. The third series felt like it was right back in with the rest of the Marvel U. This one isn't as "comic booky" as Vol 3, but it just doesn't give me the same feeling I got from 1 and 2. It feels like a book from the regular Marvel U, just using it to push out a different version of Avengers stories without having to be bogged down in decades of continuity. Even the look of the characters has changed. I loved the way Cap looked in the first 2 volumes. His uniform looked realistic. This one looks like the one from Vol 3, same as the regular costume without the wings on the head.
Visually, I think they're attempting to not totally disrespect Joe Mad's input. I was surprised that Hawkeye still wears his vol. 3 costume, but at least Pacheco renders them well. Cap's look, I think, is just how he'd have looked if Pacheco has drawn Ultimates vol. 1. As far as not feeling like an Ultimate book, wouldn't that be down to how far the Marvel U proper has evolved since 2000? Ultimate books went through changes anyway, from the 'young readers' line to the 'edgy, more grounded' approach, complete with social commentary. A lot of the Marvel U has adopted one of those approaches since then, so this re-launch is intended to create a new identity for the Ultimate line. I think the 'anything can happen' approach may be what they've opted for.

galmando
08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Ultimatum has really ruined the Ultimate universe for me. i enjoyed this issue of Ultimate Avengers though.

what is seperating it for me is quite simply Hawkeye, i agree, why the fuck is he in that 'superhero' costume?

before anyone says 'cuz he's a superhero' - no. he's supposed to be (in this universe) a black ops soldier and when he had the all in one leather that Hitch designed, it all looked practical.

thats what was so fuckin cool about Ultimates, and spidey, pretty much everything appeared to have a practical purpose. Caps costume evolved into that of a soldier, and i actually dont mind it at all in this issue. but those red goggles hawkeye has? why exactly, do they do something? purple suit? why, it's stupid.

they should habe just trimmed the line down to ultimates and spidey without the new titles they have. cancelled the rest of the shit and had a third book which told various stories of the other ultimate characters. keep it tight.

and drop Avengers from the title, they arent the avengers, they are the ultimates, that was the frickin difference in the first place.

i do howver liek the new red skull, it's probably because Miller is writing it and i think he's brilliant at re-intorducing these characters and keeping it real.

Eugene Selassie
08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Whopping meh from this issue.
I was sooo looking forward to this. I think Millar's more tolerable work is away from the 616.
But between the slow pacing, the stench of vol 3 still looming and other things that I don't enjoy with Millar's writing...the ONLY reason for me to keep reading is Pacheco art.

Rob Norton
08-18-2009, 11:40 PM
i thought it was okay. didnt have the impact YET that the other Ultimates vol. 1 and 2 had, but it was okay. was expecting more though. but im on board for the duration. no question.

the hawkeye question has me thinking. his situation reminds me of another Brian Hitch book. when he was on Authorty, there was the character of the Doctor. i thought that warren ellis wrote a realy interesting character in HIS run, a guy inheriting all these god like power and trying to figure them out. but as soon as hitch and ellis left, the character was immediatly turned into a drug addicted loser. it was still interesting stories, but that character was forever lost in the way he was, and as brief as it was, i miss that guy. i wanted to see where he went.

and now i feel the EXACT same thing has happened with Hawkeye. he was so bad ass in Ultimates, esecially that issue with him and the widow taking out all those aliens. and the character was cool, even up through the hell he was put through. but after that.. this mask wearing uber douche is not anything like him. YES... he needed to be written as reacting to his families death, but Loeb sure missed the chance to make it interesing. im hoping millar can put him back and a character in want to know more about. first step would be to lose that stupid mask, put his glasses and buzzcut hair on him, and get him being a supebad ass with a suicidal streak. or whatever.

anyway..

rob

Jasen Smith
08-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Laura Martin did a great job on the colors with this one.

JamieRoberts
08-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Laura Martin did a great job on the colors with this one.
Laura only coloured the cover. The interiors were by Justin Ponsor.