PDA

View Full Version : New Jla

Ian Ascher
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Announced at San Diego:

"The team will have: Mon-El (in a new costume with a Superman "S" on it), Dick Grayson Batman, Donna Troy and Hal Jordan"

http://i.livescience.com/images/jlapinup_sol-02.jpg

RandallFlagg
07-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Who are the people in shadows?

Paul Sanderson
07-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Mon-El? Where's Superman? Don't think much of his costume.

ponyrl
07-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Who are the people in shadows?
wolverine.

RandallFlagg
07-26-2009, 02:59 AM
All right, I recognize Green Arrow, and someone who may be Starfire. Anyone else?

Ian Ascher
07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
In the article on Newsarama I pulled this from, Robinson also said Congorilla. Starfire would be a very cool addition with Dick as Batman. I'll bet Vixen sticks around.

Robinson said this also spins out directly out of his JL miniseries.

I like the fact that two of the Teen Titans are now JLA Members. It just makes sense. Mon El is a good choice to replace Superman who is off world on New Krypton.

Knuckles
07-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Sounds interesting, but is Vixen still a female Mimic?

Moonrider
07-26-2009, 09:22 AM
wolverine.

No, I think that's Daken.

Joking aside, Mon-El's costume is really fugly. :confused:

ronin7
07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I love Mark Bagley's art, but man I am not digging Mon El replacing Superman, or wearing Superman's symbol. Why not have the real Captain Marvel (Billy) on the team? He's just as iconic as Superman, and has the respect of the superhero community.

Ian Ascher
07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
DC has no idea what it wants to do w/ Shazam.

All of the Shazam/Captain Marvel characters have been put on the shelf for the time being. The Wizard reclaimed all his power and left everyone human in JSA. It's presumed Freddie met the same fate as Billy and Mary although we never saw it.

It gets confusing because Robinsons JL mini was supposed to come out months ago and would have ended before the JSA issues with Shazam and the Marvel family.

Eugene Selassie
07-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't have a problem with this roster as they're obviously trying to showcase the current No Clark/Bruce/Diana DCU.

My only problem is Congorilla.

I love DC, but the damn monkeys get old.

Lovecraft13
07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Not too poo on the book before it comes out, but this new line up doesn't interest me at all.

ronin7
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
DC has no idea what it wants to do w/ Shazam.

All of the Shazam/Captain Marvel characters have been put on the shelf for the time being. The Wizard reclaimed all his power and left everyone human in JSA. It's presumed Freddie met the same fate as Billy and Mary although we never saw it.

It gets confusing because Robinsons JL mini was supposed to come out months ago and would have ended before the JSA issues with Shazam and the Marvel family.

It's simple. Captain Marvel is the mystical Superman. He protects the people from forbidden magics that are not supposed to run loose on Earth. He's also one of the elite magic based characters that serve as the first line of defense against magical based invasions.

Paul Sanderson
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Not too poo on the book before it comes out, but this new line up doesn't interest me at all.

I know what you mean. I feel at least partially the same way. I like Dick there, though, and Hal.

Ian Ascher
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
It's simple. Captain Marvel is the mystical Superman. He protects the people from forbidden magics that are not supposed to run loose on Earth. He's also one of the elite magic based characters that serve as the first line of defense against magical based invasions.

I understand the concept of Capt Marvel.....

My lack of understanding is how Freddy Freeman was affected by the events in JSA when the Wizard Shazam took his ball and went home. Right now there is no Captain Marvel or Mary Marvel. I'm assuming there's no Captain Marvel Jr. either. Robinson's JL mini takes place before the events in JSA.

As for his replacing Superman instead of Mon El... I'm half and half on the thought.

Since the mid 80's DC has never portrayed Captain Marvel on the same heroic level as Superman. He always seems to be in total awe of Superman, just like any kid would be (which we all know he really is). The only time he wasn't was Kingdom Come and that was a future Elseworlds story.

Aside from the goofy costume, I have no problem with Mon-El trying to fill Superman's shoes. I don't read the S books at this time so I have no clue what's going on aside from the fact he's obviously free of his lead poisoning and out of the Phantom Zone.

Ian Ascher
07-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Just saw this on Newsarama:

There will (probably) be two ongoing Justice League books.

James Robinson will be writing, and Mark Bagley will be drawing, although itís not been totally spelled out as to how the books will be divided.

The going rumor/assumption is that Geoff Johns and a superstar artist will be handling the other book, but that awaits confirmation.

Paul Sanderson
07-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't know. I'm never a fan of diffusion. It never leads to long term gains. In the end, they'll axe the spin-off and go back to the single JLA book. We've seen it all before.

Moonrider
07-29-2009, 07:58 PM
X-Men did it for years. They're still selling.

Paul Sanderson
07-30-2009, 03:10 AM
And they did various times with the JLA in the past, and short term success did not lead to the same long term.

HBK82287
07-31-2009, 06:01 PM
i think i see starfire in there... and the sword makes me think Katana

Biofungus
07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Fat lotta good he's been in the past few years doing that...

Biofungus
07-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I know what you mean. I feel at least partially the same way. I like Dick there, though, and Hal.
You know, even though I'm a Marvelite, I've always felt that the JLA was way more epic than their Marvel counterparts (the Avengers). The JLA had all of the main big hitters on the team, whereas the Avengers had a smaller 'core group' and some satellite heroes (some big, some not so big) that came and went. JLA was like an army, the Avengers was more of a strike force. But this line up, the JLA seems a lot smaller in scope than it used to be. And it's not because of the 'replacement character'. There's just nothing grand about this JLA anymore...

Ian Ascher
08-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I agree with Bio....

The JLA should be grand and epic. These are supposed to be earth's greatest heroes stopping threats that should destroy our planet and leave humanity in ruins. They formed in the wake of an attempted invasion by Starro and stayed together to defend the earth against alien invasions no single hero could stop.

There's been very little of that in their own book for a long time. It's cool to see little personal stories from time to time but we need the big sweeping epic. For lack of a better term, the JLA should be an event book EVERY ISSUE.

Stories should be anywhere from four to twelve issue arcs and stand alone continuity from the other members books so we don't have to worry about how this month's Batman or Superman or Green Lantern fits in. If a writer or editor wants to spell it out and acknowledge a JLA adventure in the pages of Wonder Woman, put it in a caption box like the good old days. [This story takes place between issues 132 and 133 of JLA]

As for multiple books or expanding the franchise, I think a second JLA book, if thought out and done well, could be a boon to DC. Every character or team that's had an expansion has done well for a time, then the line shrinks back to basics, then it expands again, and so on.

JLA was a single book for a long time, then it had an expansion which did very well for a while, and when the well ran dry, it went back to basics. So did the Avengers. Right now the Avengers is doing very well with several books and Im sure DC sees this and thinks the JLA can too.

As for the rumored second book.... I'll bet its the next big event from DC in 2010. We've already heard it'll be a big JLA centered story as a result of the aftermath of the Blackest Night.

Nano-Love
08-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree with Bio....

The JLA should be grand and epic.

Couldnít agree more. Thatís what I loved about Grant Morrisonís run on JLA. Everything was huge and epic all the while embracing the inherent (letís face it) zaniness at the heart of any superhero universe, which is a big part of the fun.

Like Bio, I'm a true beliver, but to this day, I regard Morrisonís JLA as the pinnacle of modern superhero writing.

Paul Sanderson
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
You know, even though I'm a Marvelite, I've always felt that the JLA was way more epic than their Marvel counterparts (the Avengers). The JLA had all of the main big hitters on the team, whereas the Avengers had a smaller 'core group' and some satellite heroes (some big, some not so big) that came and went. JLA was like an army, the Avengers was more of a strike force. But this line up, the JLA seems a lot smaller in scope than it used to be. And it's not because of the 'replacement character'. There's just nothing grand about this JLA anymore...

Agreed.