PDA

View Full Version : Hulk #600

Ian Ascher
07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Read my friend's copy. It's a $5 whopper of a book.

Another odd effort by Jeph Loeb in the saga of the Red Hulk.

At this point I really don't care who the Red Hulk is. I just want to see if Jeph can really make something of the mess of a story he's created to date. At least the pictures are pretty.

This issue also included the first issue of Hulk: Grey, an all new She Hulk story with the new She-Hulk genetic love child from the future that gets weak when she gets mad (ugh) and a story by Stan Lee.

At least Marvel tried to give us our money's worth but I think they still fell a bit short.

The book's only redeeming quality is a plot point in the Jeph Loeb story reguarding Banner here on out and the direction of the new Incredible Hulk book he isn't writing.

******SPOILER*******

Red Hulk drains Banner of all his Gamma Radiation, freeing him of the Hulk curse once and for all. Cool....

Of course, if Red Hulk could always do this, then why the hell didn't he do it back in issue #1? Why the hell does MODOK care and tell him no? Ugh.

KHudd
07-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I Just read it a few minutes ago. My reaction was, "I'm done reading this crap!" I care about who the red hulk is and I wanted to find out. This is my first time reading Loeb and I don't think he is a good writer. Maybe i'm wrong, but how many times are you going to release banner from the hulk? Thats a stupid idea. Genetic love child? Oh my god! This book is so stupid! I read all away until Red hulk beat thor and then I stopped picking it up, I thought they were going to have spiderman figure it but nope. DC is way better than marvel right now.

Ramble over

ronin7
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Loeb's not that bad. His Hulk: Grey was wonderfully funny, and his run on Superman/Batman was nice action romp. While he does have his WTF moments. He does produce some good stories.

Moonrider
07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
These days, his good comic book stories are far in between I think. But in his defense, though a little out of topic, I don't think he deserved to be cut from Heroes. All the stories he wrote for that gradually declining show are arguably the best episodes in the series.

yellowphantom
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
i thought the best part of this issue was the cover gallery...it helped me remember past storylines that i enjoyed far more than this 600th issue ...

"Rulk." (give me a break).

(Captain Amareica #600 had a cover gallery as well...but not Spiderman #600...what's up with that marvel?) :(

Ian Ascher
07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Jeph Loeb HAS told good stories in the past.

Despite his recent work on books like Ultimates, Ultimatum, and Hulk, I still look forward to Captain America White because I enjoyed Spiderman Blue, Daredevil Yellow, and Hulk Grey.

His Batman work is what defined him as a top writer and I think he keeps going back to that well over and over and over again. The big drawn out "who done it" mystery. Each time he tries it though, it becomes a little less entertaining and more outlandish.

This is going to sound a bit harsh but if you look at the work Jeph Loeb did before his son passed away and the work he's done after his son passed away, there is a very sharp decline. Its obvious the loss of a family member, especialy a son, will effect you. It's my thought Jeph may still be grieving and that inability to cope is showing in his work.

Biofungus
08-16-2009, 03:08 AM
So is it official that Red Hulk is Samson? (I mean, they show he has an evil alt personality, then he and She-Hulk disappear and suddenly Rulk is there. So is it actually him, or more bad Loeb/Loeb-inspired writing)?

What I dislike about "mysteries" like this is, we have ONLY what we're presented to go on. Obviously given that Rulk has other sitings, generally that Doc Samson's whereabouts during those other sitings can be verified, a better connection than mere speculation can be made.

When was A-Bomb "made"? The first time we ever see him is Rick randomly transforming into him in what, issue 2 or 3 of Hulk? I don't recall any specific origin for him, but one was mentioned (I think in Hulk 13, but it could have been IH 600).

Paul Sanderson
08-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Jeph Loeb HAS told good stories in the past.

Despite his recent work on books like Ultimates, Ultimatum, and Hulk, I still look forward to Captain America White because I enjoyed Spiderman Blue, Daredevil Yellow, and Hulk Grey.

His Batman work is what defined him as a top writer and I think he keeps going back to that well over and over and over again. The big drawn out "who done it" mystery. Each time he tries it though, it becomes a little less entertaining and more outlandish.

This is going to sound a bit harsh but if you look at the work Jeph Loeb did before his son passed away and the work he's done after his son passed away, there is a very sharp decline. Its obvious the loss of a family member, especialy a son, will effect you. It's my thought Jeph may still be grieving and that inability to cope is showing in his work.

I agree with you. I think his best work, at least everything seems to point that way right now, is behind him.

KHudd
08-16-2009, 03:43 AM
So is it official that Red Hulk is Samson? (I mean, they show he has an evil alt personality, then he and She-Hulk disappear and suddenly Rulk is there. So is it actually him, or more bad Loeb/Loeb-inspired writing)?

What I dislike about "mysteries" like this is, we have ONLY what we're presented to go on. Obviously given that Rulk has other sitings, generally that Doc Samson's whereabouts during those other sitings can be verified, a better connection than mere speculation can be made.

When was A-Bomb "made"? The first time we ever see him is Rick randomly transforming into him in what, issue 2 or 3 of Hulk? I don't recall any specific origin for him, but one was mentioned (I think in Hulk 13, but it could have been IH 600).

He could be "red" herring. Thats why I want them to say who the heck this guy is. They gave us the jacket, they gave us the shorter hair, but he could be tricking us(samson). I think it is General Ross, loss of a child can make you do some weird things, writing a comic book, or being in a comic book. So, I think it is ross.

I wondered the same thing, where did this "A bomb" come from.

The writing is horrid, if it is a superhero who just all of a sudden went belligerent and waged war against everyone, then it is the most vile comic being published.

When they officially tell who the red hulk is, can someone please post who it is. Thank you

Biofungus
08-16-2009, 05:39 AM
But Ross actually spoke to Rulk in issue 6 I believe (stood over his downed unconscious body after he was finally beaten by Hulk/Thor).

KHudd
08-16-2009, 06:24 AM
But Ross actually spoke to Rulk in issue 6 I believe (stood over his downed unconscious body after he was finally beaten by Hulk/Thor).

I don't have the issue anymore so I don't remember, but I do think it may be Ross. Either Ross or Samson. Remember the issue where Ross and Samson were scanned, it happens again in the third issue. Maybe in War World Hulks they will reveal who he is.

Ian Ascher
08-16-2009, 05:15 PM
From everything I've read, Samson has an evil side but is not the Red Hulk...

His identity will be revealed in World War Hulks this winter.

Yup....

KHudd
08-16-2009, 09:03 PM
There is also a she rulk. Thats weird, I'm thinking if i'm going to buy it.

Biofungus
08-17-2009, 01:28 AM
She-Rulk would probably be Thundra.

And yeah, Samson having that 'dark side' and the torn shirt, etc., red herring.

But both Samson and Ross were seen with Rulk (I forgot Samson was with Ross when Rulk got the Thor/Hulk beat down). The problem now is, it seems Loeb is either pulling someone who's been long gone/forgotten (like Talbot), or somebody who's just arbitrary (like Clay Quartermain). IOW, nobody who would have a legitimate reason to become Rulk, or anybody that people really would even *care* about becoming Rulk...

Biofungus
08-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Btw, even though supposedly the only reason Ed McGuiness was willing to come over to Marvel was to draw Hulk, do the last couple of issues look like he's starting to get tired of drawing Hulk?

Ian Ascher
08-17-2009, 07:06 AM
I don't know if McGuiness is getting tired of drawing it so much as Marvel is yanking him around. The book isn't on a solid monthly footing even with several fill in issue to date (by Art Adams and Frank Cho) and he's off the book for the X-Force and She-Rulk chapters it seems as well.

Based on what I've seen and what I've read interview wise I bet Loeb pulls some really crazy long lost character out to be the Red Hulk. Someone 99% of the people reading this book won't ever remember.

Kevin Lee
09-11-2009, 05:40 AM
Read my friend's copy. It's a $5 whopper of a book.

Another odd effort by Jeph Loeb in the saga of the Red Hulk.

At this point I really don't care who the Red Hulk is. I just want to see if Jeph can really make something of the mess of a story he's created to date. At least the pictures are pretty.

This issue also included the first issue of Hulk: Grey, an all new She Hulk story with the new She-Hulk genetic love child from the future that gets weak when she gets mad (ugh) and a story by Stan Lee.

At least Marvel tried to give us our money's worth but I think they still fell a bit short.

The book's only redeeming quality is a plot point in the Jeph Loeb story reguarding Banner here on out and the direction of the new Incredible Hulk book he isn't writing.

******SPOILER*******

Red Hulk drains Banner of all his Gamma Radiation, freeing him of the Hulk curse once and for all. Cool....

Of course, if Red Hulk could always do this, then why the hell didn't he do it back in issue #1? Why the hell does MODOK care and tell him no? Ugh.

Wow, green hulk, red hulk, blue hulk, gray hulk, she-hulk?????? :eek:

And people are still reading hulk?!! Poor poor green hulk. :cry:

Moonrider
09-11-2009, 06:34 AM
I don't read Hulk, but I do read the Son of Hulk and I'm quite excited about Skaar's relationship with Banner in The Incredible Hulk.

Red Hulk suck.

Eugene Selassie
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Read Son of Hulk, and now that Pak's back on Incredible, I can get my Hulk/Banner fix.

Couldn't get past issue 7 of Hulk...I tried, I really did.

WilliamStormeSmith
09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I think the Red Hulk is Glen Talbot.

Eugene Selassie
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I think the Red Hulk is Glen Talbot.

I really hope not.
Been so long since he actually mattered...

RandallFlagg
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking Red Hulk is actually Rick Jones on again/off again special lady Marlo. She was turned into a dude, and then became Red Hulk. Or it's Snapper Carr, and he just got sent over to Marvel when DC realized he sucks. That's why he's so angry.

NickGuy
09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
i love red hulk. its goofy and doesnt take itself too seriously. sure, it doesnt make much sense either at times, but its easily my favorite book out right now and the one i look forward to reading every month. and Hulk 600 was far better than the awful ASM 600

Biofungus
09-14-2009, 09:39 PM
i love red hulk.

I knew there was something wrong with you... :sure:

Moonrider
09-14-2009, 10:48 PM
If this were back in the '60s, they would have called Loeb a commie for even thinking of creating a 'Red' Hulk.

VIRGOBLUES
09-19-2009, 05:06 PM
i think the red hulk is Ross and Samson combined, it sounds stupid so its the most logical conclusion i came up with given the rest of the story

chris stevens
09-19-2009, 05:18 PM
mcguinness is doing phenomenal work on the hulk. the last two issues he did were without his usual inker, dexter vines. that's probably the difference you noticed, bio.

Hanyouyomi
10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd have to say that I'm glad there was a build up to the Fight scene between Spider-man and Rulk, and when Rulk absorbed the gamma energy out of Banner's body, and stated that he doesn't to be the Hulk anymore, I thought:"Oh what is this "Hulk R.I.P?" Now as a writer who works with reoccurring themes in my own stories I understand it if Grant Morrison, and Loeb favor the theme of Super-Hero deaths, however it's kind've ridiculous when you kill off the main character of a series that's been around for a good while. And then when Ben Urich mentioned that there was another War coming,(A Prelude WWHulks) I was completely turned off, as I thought "Oh god not another one!"

However I liked Stan Lee's short.

Biofungus
10-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I definitely noticed something. Makes me wonder if the inker was just lazy, or Ed cut back on some of his "extras" (hatching/textures/feathering, etc). But definitely didn't look nearly as clean as the earlier issues. I hope they bring Vines back soon. Even if Ed IS cutting back on hash marks, the rest of the art is still suffering w/o Vines. Thanks for that bit of info. Just goes to show how important the right inker is (like Scott Williams on Jim Lee).

terrioj9782
10-17-2009, 05:03 AM
I actually think the new storyline can be interesting since he cant' transform into hulk and is now raising Skaar to kill his father. It should be interesting to see how this affects Bruce. I wonder if this means a return to the Green Scar personality?

Biofungus
10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Prediction: Rulk will kill Skaar, prompting Bruce to hulk out again (as he knew he could despite the test results).