PDA

View Full Version : Blackest Night #1

Mark Bertolini
07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
At risk of spoilers, what did everyone think?

Mwynn
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM
This was incredible. The Black Lanterns are going to be brutal. The Hawks did not stand a chance against Ralph and Sue.

theflash
07-15-2009, 10:37 PM
damn the spoilers man! what happened?

Mwynn
07-15-2009, 10:52 PM
The highlights.

Scar kills one of the guardians while the others watch.

A large amount of black rings enter the lantern crypt.

Black Hand has Bruce's skull. Hal and Wally face to face Black Lantern Martian Manhunter.

Black Lanterns Ralph and Sue Dibny kill Hawkman and Hawkgirl, then absorb their hearts.

Moonrider
07-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Holy hell! Now that's what I call a comic event!

Ian Ascher
07-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Read this last night and was blown away.

Much darker than anything I would have ever expected. A strong start to what I knew would be a great book.

Anyone else think it was a little extra creepy Blackest Night started on the Anniversary of the destruction of Coast City? And is that Bruce's skull generating Black Lantern rings on earth...?

The people I feel most sorry for: my friend's kids. They are HUGE Green Lantern freaks and there is no way in HELL he's going to let them read this for at least another four years or so. Just a little too violent for the young ones.

All we need now is the return of Driq and I'll be a happy man.

Knuckles
07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Read

Anyone else think it was a little extra creepy Blackest Night started on the Anniversary of the destruction of Coast City? And is that Bruce's skull generating Black Lantern rings on earth...?

I don't think so. I think all the rings came from the lantern in sector 666. Right now, we have no idea why he is holding Bruce's skull.

Ian Ascher
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't think so. I think all the rings came from the lantern in sector 666. Right now, we have no idea why he is holding Bruce's skull.

Most of them came from Sector 666 but take a look at the last few pages where Hawkman and Hawkgirl are killed. It almost looks as if the rings appear from Bruce's skull.

Don't have the issue in front of me now so I cant look myself. Could just be the way it's drawn. Could also explain why Black Hand has Bruce's skull.

Think Bruce will be back by the end of Blackest Night....?

jeffers
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
What a way for the Hawks to finally come together.

Brutally plotted. Wonderfully paced (the Hal and Barry scene damn near broke me down). Beautiful art. And, Hell, Ralph and Sue...

Make Mine Blackest Night.

buhe
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Perhaps it's because Bruce was exposed to both willpower and fear radiation when he was alive like where he borrowed Hal's ring and then there was the attempt recruiting of the Sinestro Corps. but was rejected when willpower radiation was detected on him, but the yellow power ring was on him even for a moment.

In the FCBD issue, it looked like Black Hand was absorbing something from the skull and it had a little green in it.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/CMpromobanner.gif
http://www.comicmonsters.com/

Deadfish07
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Definately a cool issue. Interesting take on zombies in the DC universe.

Plus, the shop gave me a plastic black ring. Free swag is always a bonus.

KHudd
07-16-2009, 05:43 PM
:w00t: This issue was soooooo good. I liked that he made barry more calm. The reason I'm not reading Flash Rebirth is beacuse Barry acts like the world is going to end tommorow. I liked that the black laterns can talk like real people and not like stereotypical zombies. Hal and Barry vs J'onn in GL 43! This issue was great, can wait for the next.

Paul Sanderson
07-16-2009, 10:41 PM
:w00t: This issue was soooooo good. I liked that he made barry more calm. The reason I'm not reading Flash Rebirth is beacuse Barry acts like the world is going to end tommorow. I liked that the black laterns can talk like real people and not like stereotypical zombies. Hal and Barry vs J'onn in GL 43! This issue was great, can wait for the next.

Yes, but Barry's behaviour in Rebirth will be (most likely) fully resolved by the end of that series. I think that's one of the points of that series overall is to get Barry into a better place mentally.

Moonrider
07-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Plus, the shop gave me a plastic black ring. Free swag is always a bonus.

Damn! That'll sell out pretty quick.

Knuckles
07-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Most of them came from Sector 666 but take a look at the last few pages where Hawkman and Hawkgirl are killed. It almost looks as if the rings appear from Bruce's skull.

Don't have the issue in front of me now so I cant look myself. Could just be the way it's drawn. Could also explain why Black Hand has Bruce's skull.

Think Bruce will be back by the end of Blackest Night....?

Yeah, it does and he did mention that Bruce is connected. But the ones before that clearly came from Sector 666, so I would assume they all do.

The tales of the Corps was also interesting. I can't wait to see what the Indigo/Compassion is all about. It was also nice to see a little history on Saint Walker.

Mwynn
07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/999/999964/blackest-night-event-20090630041107263.jpg

marctheokay
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I got a black ring too, and that Black Lantern Firestorm looks awesome.
So, does each Black Lantern ring charge up with each death?
Seems like Ralph and Sue are sharing a charge, no?

Troy Wall
07-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Do Indigos or Star Saphires wear power rings?

LOL. Why no toy for Hal Jordan?

I don't understand Black Hand carting around Bruce's skull. Chiefly because I really don't understand why there was a corpse after Darkseid's magic beams warped him to the stone age back in Final Crisis. WTF?

I'm pretty sure those two rings came out of Bruce's skull there at the end of Blackest Night #1. No way Reis would have drawn it that obvious if we weren't supposed to take that away from viewing the image. The central power battery manufactured the horde, but Black Hand gets a nifty skull that can hark up one or two when needed. Hey, if Scar the guardian can puke one up, so too can Bruce's skull!

Mwynn
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
http://cornerstorecomics.com/productImages/af_sdcc09_dcdirect_green-lantern_l.jpg

Mwynn
07-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Looks like the multi colored Hal's will only be at SDCC.

Lovecraft13
07-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty sure those two rings came out of Bruce's skull there at the end of Blackest Night #1. No way Reis would have drawn it that obvious if we weren't supposed to take that away from viewing the image. The central power battery manufactured the horde, but Black Hand gets a nifty skull that can hark up one or two when needed. Hey, if Scar the guardian can puke one up, so too can Bruce's skull!

Perhaps skulls in general act as a battery.

Mark Bertolini
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
What I think is funny is that all of the Black Lanterns have full-on black outfits except Aquaman. He just can't seem to get rid of that damn orange shirt.

Eugene Selassie
07-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Damn, did they have to make the Arisia figure so...

Never mind. :slap:

Biofungus
07-17-2009, 07:03 PM
The Bruce skull thing was answered practically by the third page of the issue. Bruce has a significant connection to all the "risen" Black Lanterns (ie the heroes of earth). That's the "why". The specifics I fear, may be a plot point (as in, bring back Bruce/destroy Bruce and you stop the Black Lanterns).

Also, did you notice at the end when the Hawk's hearts were consumed, the power level reading? (.01% and .02%) Either the killed/consumed heroes powers are powering up some 'master plan', or the true power of the Black Lanterns has far from been revealed.

Lovecraft13
07-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Would the concept of a White Lantern be too expected in this storyline?

Lovecraft13
07-22-2009, 05:23 PM
The Black Hand definitely seems to have been setup as a patsy-esque character, probably to be killed again by the mid-point as the real player comes forth-- besides the Blue Scar.

Lovecraft13
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
At the risk of creating a new post per thought, but could the death of the New Gods and Darksied (among others) play an upcoming part in the story? Who would want to pass up the chance to resurrect Orion for your army? Or especially Darkseid?

Moonrider
07-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Can happen, but after Final Crisis I doubt it. The New Gods are reborn somewhere else, I think. Grant Morrison should know more about it.

Ian Ascher
07-23-2009, 07:20 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if it were somehow Darksied's skeleton in Bruce Wayne's grave. Unlikley, but a cool idea if it was.

I don't think we'll have a White Lantern but it wouldn't surprise me if by the end of the story Hal ended up w/ one of every power ring to do battle with whatever the dark Guardian Scar is trying to ressurect.

Read Green Lantern #44 for a few more answers.

ronin7
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I hope Blackest Night #1 is worth the money I paid for it. Otherwise, I'm putting it, and the ring up for sale.

UniverseX259
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Just finished issue 1. DEFINITELY better than I expected. I'm really pumped to see the Kal-L Black Lantern.

Biofungus
07-24-2009, 12:42 AM
The mysterious Black Lantern is Bruce Wayne\

That is all.

Mwynn
08-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Now the Black Lanterns have a living planet.
Bl Lois has Ma Kent.
Superman and Conner can show all forms of the spectrum at once.
Sinestro took down Carol
Larfleeze is in serious trouble as all he has killed have risen.

ponyrl
08-28-2009, 01:28 AM
So...the spectre gets to take vengeance on himself because (As far as I heard) his host is now a black lantern?

HTF! DTW! :man:

Troy Wall
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Larfleeze is in serious trouble as all he has killed have risen.

That was an awesome sequence. Is it safe to assume that Larfleeze is also now completely powerless? He more than likely cannot control avatars of all those folks now that they have risen. So, no more Orange Corps. Just Larfleeze!

Mwynn
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Even the non-core titles have been really good. Titans, Batman, and Superman were good. The Black Lanterns have even touched New Krypton.

captainarian
08-31-2009, 02:43 PM
i know, i'm way out of time, but hawk girl and hawk man are dead?
bruce wayne is actually dead? wait what? they killed batman atlast?

i just got my hands on the last season of JLA... that means almost every one i see there is dead? oh wow, swell, :D

gotta get that comic.
i just hope they don't kill kyle. he's my favorite lantern. can't wait to get my hands on this beauty.

theflash
08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
i know, i'm way out of time, but hawk girl and hawk man are dead?
bruce wayne is actually dead? wait what? they killed batman atlast?

i just got my hands on the last season of JLA... that means almost every one i see there is dead? oh wow, swell, :D

gotta get that comic.
i just hope they don't kill kyle. he's my favorite lantern. can't wait to get my hands on this beauty.

you gotta pick up Final Crisis sir. That shows you not only Barry's return but the death of Batman. But...he's not really dead. :)

Great Scott
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
The power behind the Black Lanterns:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nekron

Biofungus
08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Notice how a] the black rings can't stand "peace" (can't even say it), and b] even though Black Hand has Bruce's skull, why couldn't/didn't they bring him back? Hmmm...