PDA

View Full Version : Can someone fill me in on Batman... (Maybe a few spoilers...)

Kallisto
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
This is already pretty embarrassing question. But I have been away for the last 18 months. So can someone fill me in here.

So did Bruce Wayne really die? If so, who's Batman now, and how are the stories? Heck, who's Robin?!

KHudd
07-13-2009, 02:07 AM
This is already pretty embarrassing question. But I have been away for the last 18 months. So can someone fill me in here.

So did Bruce Wayne really die? If so, who's Batman now, and how are the stories? Heck, who's Robin?!

With the questions you are asking, it seems you know a little. Batman was supposed to die in R.I.P, but for some reason he didn't, he died in Final Crisis, but he didn't he is in the past. Something like that. Nightwing is batman, again. Batman's son is Robin and Tim Drake is Red Robin.

Callen493
07-13-2009, 02:26 AM
So who's the new Tim Drake?

KHudd
07-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Damien Wayne

Allegory Comics
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
With the questions you are asking, it seems you know a little. Batman was supposed to die in R.I.P, but for some reason he didn't, he died in Final Crisis, but he didn't he is in the past. Something like that. Nightwing is batman, again. Batman's son is Robin and Tim Drake is Red Robin.
Someone, either on this site or on Newsarama, made an excellent observation that saying Bruce Wayne is still alive in the past is like saying Abraham Lincoln is still alive in the past. He's still dead today.

It's true (as I understand it) they sent Bruce to the past and they can go get him whenever they want. That makes me wonder why Bruce hasn't already sent a message from the past telling them where he is -- like Doc Brown did with Marty in Back to the Future 3. :p

Even if they didn't send him to the past, technically, Bruce has always been alive in the past. If they wanted to, they could just as easily go back to 4 seconds before he died and save him - or bring him back.

Paul Sanderson
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
The thing is, Bruce travelled in time, so he's not alive in the past and dead today as with Lincoln. He's alive and stranded in the past. The comparison doesn't work.

Kallisto
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys. I guess we can turn this into a personal opinion discussion. Because that's what I'm going to do.

This is sounding really stupid... I mean there was a reason everyone forgot Batman's son existed. Not the least of which it was just an outright dumb idea.

Sounds to me like they need to take a tip from other things that have weathered the storms of time. Take the story Cinderella for example. It's over 1,000 years old, with numerous variations in literally hundreds of different cultures and has adapted well into mainstream pop culture. Why? Because it's simple. And no matter if you read the Aschenputtel which was the version collected by the Grimm's Brothers, the oldest variation dating back to fifth century BC in Greece, Walt Disney's version, or Ever After, it's still Cinderella. It's basics haven't changed.

With Batman, it seems like they're uprooting everything that made him Batman to begin with. They did the same thing with Nightquest. It was basically uprooting what made him Batman.

Newt
07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Apples and oranges. The Batman property is a character and setting which can be used in different stories; the Cinderella story is a plot which can be carried out in different settings by different characters.

Paul Sanderson
07-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Denny O'Neil, then editor of Batman, decided to treat the graphic novel Batman: Son of the Demon, in which Talia gives birth to Batman's son, as an Elseworlds story, though it wasn't originally presented or intended to be viewed that way. Since then, Grant Morrison resurrected that story and brought it back into continuity. I don't have any problem with this, personally, as I always loved Son of the Demon.

Ian Ascher
07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
It's true (as I understand it) they sent Bruce to the past and they can go get him whenever they want. That makes me wonder why Bruce hasn't already sent a message from the past telling them where he is -- like Doc Brown did with Marty in Back to the Future 3. :p

You have to wonder if he hasn't already.

At the end of Final Crisis ****SPOILER**** Bruce was working on some crude cave paintings. Let's say that's what he's doing, trying to send a message. He'd have to cross his fingers that they would be discovered and that someone would be looking for the clues he's leaving behind. If everyone thinks he's dead they may not catch his signal right away. For all we know, those cave drawings are on the wall of the Batcave behind the Giant Penny or the bat computer. He could have seen them down there as a child and realized he was the one that drew them.

Could be a cool way to go. Have a group of characters try to figure it out based on clues left by the Worlds Greatest Detective millions of years ago.

RandallFlagg
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
This sounds like a job for Booster Gold and Rip Hunter!

Moonrider
07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
You have to wonder if he hasn't already.

At the end of Final Crisis ****SPOILER**** Bruce was working on some crude cave paintings. Let's say that's what he's doing, trying to send a message. He'd have to cross his fingers that they would be discovered and that someone would be looking for the clues he's leaving behind. If everyone thinks he's dead they may not catch his signal right away. For all we know, those cave drawings are on the wall of the Batcave behind the Giant Penny or the bat computer. He could have seen them down there as a child and realized he was the one that drew them.

Could be a cool way to go. Have a group of characters try to figure it out based on clues left by the Worlds Greatest Detective millions of years ago.

That does sound interesting. While Captain America is stranded in his past lives without even knowing that he's stranded or how to get out, Batman prompted his friends to bring him back through hidden messages. It's gonna be like The Search for Spock with capes! Man, if only Ralph Dibney is alive this could be a great 52 sequel.