PDA

View Full Version : which dc character would translate over to marvel the best?

kamikaze
07-09-2009, 11:17 PM
A friend and I talked about this yesterday. He asked me which character could I see "jumping" from Dc to marvel the best. I thought it was a good question if it hasnt been asked already.

So who do you think?

my pick is Batman, but there can be more than one of course.

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
To be honest, I think either the All New Teen Titans, Checkmate, the current Blue Beetle, The Flash or Doom Patrol.

Phatman
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
That's easy---CAPTAIN MARVEL

Buckyrig
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Static

ronin7
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Batman would be useless without his wealth to finance his operations. He's never had to rebuild his assets like Tony Stark has. Though, he has increased his assets, and ownership in Gotham.

Realistically, I can only see very few DC characters translating into the Marvel Universe.

NickGuy
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Batman, hed buy tony stark.

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Batman would be useless without his wealth to finance his operations. He's never had to rebuild his assets like Tony Stark has. Though, he has increased his assets, and ownership in Gotham.

Realistically, I can only see very few DC characters translating into the Marvel Universe.

You sure? I thought Wayne's financial empire took a HUGE hit during the 1970s.

MAN, I need to go swimming through my back issues.

Mark Bertolini
07-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Heh...I'm pretty sure that got retconned 7 or 8 times since then, dude.

ronin7
07-10-2009, 03:13 PM

His company has taken financial hits, but instead showing Bruce as a resourceful businessman like Stark who can rebuild from nothing. They always ret-con his money problems away.

Eugene Selassie
07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
His company has taken financial hits, but instead showing Bruce as a resourceful businessman like Stark who can rebuild from nothing. They always ret-con his money problems away.

But I thought that's what they were doing. By having Bruce leave Wayne Manor and move to the penthouse. By showing globetrotting Bruce handle rebuild W.E. around the world instead of just in Gotham all the time.
Although I haven't read those 70s Batman stories in a while.

Some of that stuff was gold. I don't understand all the venom that it usually gets.

ronin7
07-10-2009, 05:11 PM
But I thought that's what they were doing. By having Bruce leave Wayne Manor and move to the penthouse. By showing globetrotting Bruce handle rebuild W.E. around the world instead of just in Gotham all the time.
Although I haven't read those 70s Batman stories in a while.

Some of that stuff was gold. I don't understand all the venom that it usually gets.

That wasn't absolute bankruptcy that Bruce faced, or a hostile take over. It was just a down turn in his stocks. Tony Stark's had his companies collapse under him because of his alcoholism, or taken from him by his rivals.

Dan Hill
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
The current Blue Beetle.

Callen493
07-10-2009, 07:58 PM
manhunter (kate i believe her name is)

Batwoman

Guy Gardener

and Doomsday as a 90s x-man

BJCochran
07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I know someone already said Doomsday. But I see a lot of potential with him standing toe to toe with the Hulk.

Other than that I really see The Flash translating the best.

Moonrider
07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
The radioactive dude from Superman IV. Oh, wait. He's basically The Sentry.

HaphazardJoy
07-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Booster Gold would fit in just fine methinks.

outlawmojo
07-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Deathstroke, Lex Luthor and Robin. I think they would mesh well in the 616

Moonrider
07-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Deathstroke? Not with that costume. Doom Patrol would fit in Marvel.

BJCochran
07-11-2009, 12:02 AM
I take back my previous comment about the Flash. I'm going to go with Nightwing...Dick Grayson. I know he's Batman now...but when Dick was Nightwing he had something about him that screamed 'I could be in the Marvel Universe'

KHudd
07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
None of the characters could go to the marvel universe. Why? Because DC does so much shimmy shimmy choclate to their characters and I wouldn't want to see them in Marvel's simple universe.

Marvel has better characters. DC does better stories with characters.

mstarnes
07-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Marvin, Wendy, and Wonderdog

ronin7
07-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Deathstroke? Not with that costume. Doom Patrol would fit in Marvel.

Eh, with Doom Patrol you'd have that whole evil Fantastic Four vibe. Since Professor Niles Caulder is a Machiavellian.

I could see Niles wanting to mess with the mutant community; screw them up worse than they are. The X-Men would constantly clash with them.

fluxchild
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
None of the characters could go to the marvel universe. Why? Because DC does so much shimmy shimmy choclate to their characters and I wouldn't want to see them in Marvel's simple universe.

Marvel has better characters. DC does better stories with characters.

i wouldn't say better....maybe more realistic.

Callen493
07-11-2009, 06:50 PM
not more realistic just less idealized versions of heroes.

WilliamStormeSmith
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Batman

MARS
07-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Wonder Woman and Catwoman.

I could see both of these two characters doing well in the Marvel Universe. They seem built for it. Wonder Woman needs the change of scenery bad.

Marvel would make her into the super hero power house she deserves to be.

M.

Eugene Selassie
07-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Wonder Woman and Catwoman.

I could see both of these two characters doing well in the Marvel Universe. They seem built for it. Wonder Woman needs the change of scenery bad.

Marvel would make her into the super hero power house she deserves to be.

M.

Yeah, but I don't feel confident in moving those characters. Not too confident in the big M's ability to write a strong, believable female character.

When I look at stuff like Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Manhunter, etc... I have faith.

On the other side of the fence, not so much.

MARS
07-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, but I don't feel confident in moving those characters. Not too confident in the big M's ability to write a strong, believable female character.

When I look at stuff like Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Manhunter, etc... I have faith.

On the other side of the fence, not so much.

Really?

I'd agree Marvel's track record with their current "lead" female characters is lacking... But look what you are working with:

Ms. Marvel and SHe Hulk? Really? I mean c'mon.

I look at what Claremont did with the X-Men ladies and use THAT as a template for what Marvel can do with B level characters.

I'm not looking to take the depth out of Wonder Woman and Catwoman. I just see the potential of them being more popular in the MU. I think right now DC throws Adam Huges on the cover and all i see is a pair of globed tits. And then when i open the book i fall asleep at the wheel because yes, character driven should not mean boring.

Woman Woman should be drop kicking everyone. She should be DC's version of THOR. I could see her as a leader on the Avengers easy. And Catwoman would go nicely up against the Kingpin ( or even wok for him?)

I would have more confidence in Marvel bringing out the action super hero in this characters because I already know these characters are rich in background. I just need to see these chicks kick more ass. Enough estrogen i want action.

And that never seems to happen over @ DC when these two play second fiddle to Supes and Bats constantly.

M.

Eugene Selassie
07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Really?

I'd agree Marvel's track record with their current "lead" female characters is lacking... But look what you are working with:

Ms. Marvel and SHe Hulk? Really? I mean c'mon.

I look at what Claremont did with the X-Men ladies and use THAT as a template for what Marvel can do with B level characters.

I'm not looking to take the depth out of Wonder Woman and Catwoman. I just see the potential of them being more popular in the MU. I think right now DC throws Adam Huges on the cover and all i see is a pair of globed tits. And then when i open the book i fall asleep at the wheel because yes, character driven should not mean boring.

Woman Woman should be drop kicking everyone. She should be DC's version of THOR. I could see her as a leader on the Avengers easy. And Catwoman would go nicely up against the Kingpin ( or even wok for him?)

I would have more confidence in Marvel bringing out the action super hero in this characters because I already know these characters are rich in background. I just need to see these chicks kick more ass. Enough estrogen i want action.

And that never seems to happen over @ DC when these two play second fiddle to Supes and Bats constantly.

M.

I really think you need to go back and read Wonder Woman stuff by either Phil Jimenez, Greg Rucka, or the current Rise of the Olympian story by Gail Simone. These three are the only creators since Perez' reboot that fully encapsulate what Diana is all about and know how to turn the level of kick ass to 11 while doing so.

Same with Catwoman by Ed Brubaker or Paul Dini.

yellowphantom
07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
...i'm going to go with Ambush Bug...

MARS
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I really think you need to go back and read Wonder Woman stuff by either Phil Jimenez, Greg Rucka, or the current Rise of the Olympian story by Gail Simone. These three are the only creators since Perez' reboot that fully encapsulate what Diana is all about and know how to turn the level of kick ass to 11 while doing so.

Same with Catwoman by Ed Brubaker or Paul Dini.

Maybe.

But i still feel that if i skipped it the first time ( i do remember everyone of those creators runs on that book).

As an artist i would go apeshit on WW. There would be larger than life villians , monsters, battles... Could we deal with that for a few runs?

But if you dig what you dig and it works for you then that's cool. I am just following the thread's purpose and thinking outside of the " old school box"

Because i put everyone of those creators sensibilities in that category. (not a bad thing)

But i'd love to see Copeil on WW. That would rock.

But i'll take alook at some of those trades and i will get back with you. Maybe i missed all the hot action?

M.

xombey
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
i guess the obvious rip-offs are the ones i'd go with--

Lobo
Booster gold, or is that Blue Beetle?
New Teen Titans

non-rip-offs would be
Doom Patrol

ronin7
07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
i guess the obvious rip-offs are the ones i'd go with--

Lobo
Booster gold, or is that Blue Beetle?
New Teen Titans

non-rip-offs would be
Doom Patrol

Actually, Doom Patrol is a blatant rip-off of Fantastic Four.

Moonrider
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Actually, Doom Patrol is a blatant rip-off of Fantastic Four.

No, Doom Patrol was a ripoff of The X-Men (first class).
While the Fantastic Four is actually Challengers of The Unknown with super powers.

Eugene Selassie
07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
No, Doom Patrol was a ripoff of The X-Men (first class).
While the Fantastic Four is actually Challengers of The Unknown with super powers.

Doom Patrol came out six months before X-men did.

X-men are rip offs of the Doom Patrol.
:cool: