PDA

View Full Version : Nonlinear comic storytelling

Crestmere
06-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm trying to find some examples of this because I am interested in trying it for an upcoming project.

Can anyone provide me with some successful examples?

ronin7
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm trying to find some examples of this because I am interested in trying it for an upcoming project.

Bendis' Aka Goldfish is one example.

Dark Knight Returns is another, but not to an extensive use.

Ultimate Spider-Man has a few examples.

Mostly non-linear storytelling is where the panels that tell the story are not in a straight, easy to read fashion. Think of manga's like Naruto, etc. If you crack one of those open, you'll get a headache trying to figure out the panel lay out.

I know many claim Grant Morrison invented, or innovated it, but it's simply not true. Japan's mangaka have been using the non-linear technique far longer then Morrison has.

Crestmere
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Bendis' Aka Goldfish is one example.

Dark Knight Returns is another, but not to an extensive use.

Ultimate Spider-Man has a few examples.

Mostly non-linear storytelling is where the panels that tell the story are not in a straight, easy to read fashion. Think of manga's like Naruto, etc. If you crack one of those open, you'll get a headache trying to figure out the panel lay out.

I know many claim Grant Morrison invented, or innovated it, but it's simply not true. Japan's mangaka have been using the non-linear technique far longer then Morrison has.

I was thinking of nonlinear storytelling more in terms of like Damages or Pulp Fiction.

Is there not a lot of that?

NickGuy
06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Amorres Perros > Pulp Fiction

*walks away whistling with hands in pockets*

Crestmere
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Amorres Perros > Pulp Fiction

*walks away whistling with hands in pockets*

I think I might agree with you. Pulp Fiction was great in the 1990s but its been surpassed since then. Its also one of those movies where it seems to lose a little bit every time you watch it.

My point was more to clarify exactly the kind of storytelling I was looking for with well known references.

L Jamal
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Look for Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther.

Crestmere
06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
What do you think the best way to approach this kind of story over multiple issues would be?

ponyrl
06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Jackie Brown?

:D

hellblazer72
06-23-2009, 12:18 AM
bendis did non linear stuff quite abit on daredevil..

robbdaman
06-23-2009, 01:13 AM
That's kind of what Bendis does a lot of. Some of it is confusing and just boring but oh well. My point is that it's hard to do well.

Irredeemable by BOOM uses a non-linear storytelling method of sorts but it's could be considered flashbacks too.

Justice41
06-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Look for David Lapham's Stray Bullets series.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/david.jpg

L Jamal
06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Look for David Lapham's Stray Bullets series.
Definitelt worth checking out. Even if it is likely never ot be finished.