PDA

View Full Version : Help with merging letters with Art!

pboy152
06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Hello everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has a some info or a link to a site which can help me to combine my finished letters that I did in Illustrator to my finished colored art in Photoshop! I have been working on a book for sometime and have been learning the creative process of each phase on my own either by books or website tutorials! I think I have a decent grasp of lettering in illustrator and rendering in PS but now I have run into another challenge and that is getting the two together! I have "Indesign", but no idea how to use it! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Patrick

Kel Nuttall
06-22-2009, 07:08 AM
All you really need to do is put hi-rez art "under" your letters in Illus and export a TIF of the lettered page. .

It's my understanding that may not have always been the case but as long as your copy of illustrator is anywhere in the neighborhood of up to date (maybe Illus10 or higher) there should be no problem. Some may say otherwise but I've done hundreds of pages like that for Devils Due, Digital Webbing Press, Arcana, HarperCollins, etc.

pboy152
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Kel! I have imported them once into Photoshop as an EPS file and kinda messed it up but I don't think I was far off from getting it to look good! So what your telling me about the techique you use is to bring my colored PS tif into my Illustrator CS3 and drop it in a layer under my letters? I will try it!

Kel Nuttall
06-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, just replace the art you lettered over with hi-rez art. In fact I just letter over hi-rez to start with.

pboy152
06-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Hey Kel, I did what you said and it worked great! Thanks for your help! Is this a common technique in the proffesional lettering world?

Kel Nuttall
06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I think it's getting to be more common at least among guys working mostly in indie books. I think the big publishers still want to marry the art and letters themselves so they want the letterer to just supply the letters as EPS.

Glad I could help out.