PDA

View Full Version : My picks for top 5 artist currently working

Mark Bertolini
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
1) Doug Mahnke. Just read Final Crisis, and while J.G. Jones's art was great, Mahnke took that ball and ran with it. The best work of his career.

2) Sean Phillips. Just look at Incognito. Or Criminal. Or read the Sleeper re-releases. This guy has the goods, month in and month out.

3) Frank Quitely. Batman and Robin #1 was fantastic (art wise). This guy seems to be able to do no wrong.

4) Cory Walker. Loving his work on Destroyer. Never seen so much blood look so good.

5) Michael Lark. Gotham Central was amazing, and Daredevil is blowing it out of the water.

That's me, that's what I think.

Eugene Selassie
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
1. Carlos Pacheco

2. Sean Phillips

3. Frank Quitely

4. Ethan Van Scriver

5. Nicola Scott

Honorable mentions to Jim Lee, Steve Epting, Scott Kolins, George Perez, Jamal Igle and Rags Morales

ronin7
06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
1. Mike Dedato (He's impressed with his work from New Avengers to Thunderbolts, and to Dark Avengers. All of it has been gorgeous!

2. Steve Epting (His Captain America artwork is gorgeous!)

3. Michael Lark (I love his artwork on Daredevil, and unlike some I think Brubaker and Lark have blown Bendis/Maleev's run out of the water.)

4. Tom Grummett (I love this man's work. It has the look, and feel of Byrne's clean, and cartoony artwork, but with a more modern touch."

5. George Perez (No one does character ensembles featuring numerous characters like George Perez, and he still hasn't lost his touch.)

Speaking of which, I can't wait until New Teen Titans: Games comes out. I hope though that Marv lets George co-plot. Otherwise, I'd hate to imagine how terrible the story will be without his input.

NickGuy
06-21-2009, 09:20 PM
working in comics? hmmm.....

1.) JRJr

2.) Ed McGuiness.

3.) Jim Lee

4.) Ryan Ottley

5.) Olivier Coipel

woulda put Joe MAD on the list, but he went back to video games.

Skullbie
06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
More of my personal favorites list rather than skill but eh...
1. Greg land! (ahaha j/k)

1. Steve mcniven(in love with his civil war stuff, i dig the modern photo-realistic look that's not bogged down with crosshatching)

2.Frank quitely(his anatomy is sometimes outrageous and wtf but it works so well)

3. Ryan ottley( none of his characters ever look stiff, they flow so well and his action scenes are incredible and brutal)

4. Frank cho (i dig his babes and boobs..i mean uh, raptors and jungle detail :eek: .)

5.Becky cloonan (very original and distinguished look and inking)

Really surprised to see mike deodata listed, i hate his scratchy hatch and the way he draws iron man(blag), but then again love the way he draws girls though. :thumbs:

Eugene Selassie
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
1. Mike Dedato (He's impressed with his work from New Avengers to Thunderbolts, and to Dark Avengers. All of it has been gorgeous!

2. Steve Epting (His Captain America artwork is gorgeous!)

3. Michael Lark (I love his artwork on Daredevil, and unlike some I think Brubaker and Lark have blown Bendis/Maleev's run out of the water.)

4. Tom Grummett (I love this man's work. It has the look, and feel of Byrne's clean, and cartoony artwork, but with a more modern touch."

5. George Perez (No one does character ensembles featuring numerous characters like George Perez, and he still hasn't lost his touch.)

Speaking of which, I can't wait until New Teen Titans: Games comes out. I hope though that Marv lets George co-plot. Otherwise, I'd hate to imagine how terrible the story will be without his input.

Bro, I don't understand why we don't get along better.
Besides Deodato (Whom I haven't liked since Hulk #449, 1st app of the Thunderbolts), we have the same sensibilities.

I completely agree w Perez.

Grummett is underappreciated.

ronin7
06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Bro, I don't understand why we don't get along better.
Besides Deodato (Whom I haven't liked since Hulk #449, 1st app of the Thunderbolts), we have the same sensibilities.

I completely agree w Perez.

Grummett is underappreciated.

Dedato reminds me of Neal Adams, which is why I like his artwork; it's moody, and dark. Perfect for books like the Incredible Hulk, Dark Avengers, Batman, etc.

I also like Carlos Pacheco, Herb Trimpe, Jim Lee, Klaus Janson, Marc Silvestri, Marshall Rogers, Mark Bagley, Steve Ditko, Jack "The King" Kirby, John Byrne, John Romita Junior, Gene Colan, Frank Miller, and Erik Larsen.

NickGuy
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Dedato reminds me of Neal Adams, which is why I like his artwork; it's moody, and dark. Perfect for books like the Incredible Hulk, Dark Avengers, Batman, etc.

I also like Carlos Pacheco, Herb Trimpe, Jim Lee, Klaus Janson, Marc Silvestri, Marshall Rogers, Mark Bagley, Steve Ditko, Jack "The King" Kirby, John Byrne, John Romita Junior, Gene Colan, Frank Miller, and Erik Larsen.

*wipes tear from eye* im so proud of you, m'boy.

kdmelrose
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
In no particular order:

Naoki Urasawa

Frank Quitely

Guy Davis

John Paul Leon

J.H. Williams III

Rob Norton
07-04-2009, 04:31 PM
i assume we are talking in terms of just PENCILERS...

oliver copiel

stuart immonen

steve mcniven

ADAM HUGHES

marc silvestri(when he tries, rather than half assing it)

lots of others, many guys that have been listed... but these fellas.. wow.

rob

KHudd
07-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I have 3

Steve Mcniven(Civil War was my first taste, wolverine made me an addict.)
Ethan Van Shcriver(Green Latern and Flash)
J. H. Williams III(Detective blew me away!)

I like the artist on Justice League Cry for Justice and Frank Quietly.

WilliamStormeSmith
07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
1. J.H. Williams
2. Frank Quitely
3. Mike Deodato
4. Bryan Hitch
5. tie Ethan Van Sciver / Sean Phillips

MARS
07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Oliver Copiel
Nathan Fox
John Cassidy