Ian Ascher
06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060915-Cap-Reborn.html

HaphazardJoy
06-15-2009, 10:17 AM
::vomits a little::

Deadfish07
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
It's really premature too bring him back this early. Bucky has barely done anything as Captain America. They should have left Steve in that block of ice for at least a decade. Even Kyle Rayner got to be the main Green Lantern for around that long.

ronin7
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Eh, it was bound to happen.

Eugene Selassie
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
It's really premature too bring him back this early. Bucky has barely done anything as Captain America. They should have left Steve in that block of ice for at least a decade. Even Kyle Rayner got to be the main Green Lantern for around that long.

That's because there was no Green Lantern movie in sight when Kyle was.

Captain America has a release date and is tied into the Avengers movie franchise.

Unfortunately, Marvel's comic division is catering to the movie division's schedule.

I agree. Steve Rogers is one of my all time fav characters, but it was WAYYY too soon to bring him back.

I think issue 75 wouldve been perfect for him to come back (or Cap#625)

robbdaman
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah this was expected eventually, just like Dick Grayson will no longer be Batman when the next movie rolls around for that franchise. I don't even know why they bother with these storylines.

Troy Wall
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Wonder what identity Bucky will take on now.

Mark Bertolini
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Wonder what identity Bucky will take on now.

He can be the new USAgent.

Ian Ascher
06-15-2009, 01:33 PM
More info:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060915-Brevoort-Reborn.html

They wanted to bring Steve back in issue #30 (after only five issues) but let it keep going.

Cap goes on hiatus while Reborn runs.

protonik
06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah this was expected eventually, just like Dick Grayson will no longer be Batman when the next movie rolls around for that franchise. I don't even know why they bother with these storylines.

because they are fun stories to tell and provide the illusion of change. A story like this in the pre-internet days would have been dynOHmite and without access to the solicitations we'd all be surprised by the return of Steve and loving it. These days though we are jaded and stories like this, while still fun & well told, are less impactful in their surprise moments. Marvel never should have made a big deal out of 600 and let Reborn tell us the story as opposed to having the media spoil it for us.

Eugene Selassie
06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Marvel never should have made a big deal out of 600 and let Reborn tell us the story as opposed to having the media spoil it for us.

Couldn't agree more.

But these days the stockholders matter more than the paying fans, so they needed their newspaper front page material to keep them happy...

At the expense of the people who read month in and month out.

Unfortunate but necessary part of the business...at least that's what I'm told.

Biofungus
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I think what annoys me the most about this is that, apparently, no matter how dastardly the Red Skull is being, nobody else can be bothered stepping in to stop him. No, they MUST bring Captain America back to do the job...

Troy Wall
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Haha. I joked about that during Secret Invasion. The Red Skull fucked a TON of shit up for like three years of Bru's run there without being noticed...a solid 30-something issues. When it was finally over I was like..."That's it...?"

I thought Red Skull + Arnim Zola + Dr. Faustus = the great infalible for a loooooooooong time.

Ian Ascher
06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
The first six pages....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/06/exclusive-first-look-steve-rogers-is-back-as-captain-america.html

robbdaman
06-16-2009, 01:06 PM
because they are fun stories to tell and provide the illusion of change. A story like this in the pre-internet days would have been dynOHmite and without access to the solicitations we'd all be surprised by the return of Steve and loving it. These days though we are jaded and stories like this, while still fun & well told, are less impactful in their surprise moments. Marvel never should have made a big deal out of 600 and let Reborn tell us the story as opposed to having the media spoil it for us.

But many of them are rehashes of something they did 10 years ago. Knightfall had Dick taking up the cowl as well or are we supposed to just ignore that continuity since we've had like 9 crisis books since? Doing the same with cap is just another form of rehash that in the end is just a story that wasted everyone's time. Clone wars anyone? You can't change the general public's main perception of who a character is. People know that Peter Parker is Spider-man, people know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, and some people know that Steve Rogers is Cap. If you can't really make a change why bother? Particularly cap's death was not long ago at all, just invalidates all those issues.

Eugene Selassie
06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
But many of them are rehashes of something they did 10 years ago. Knightfall had Dick taking up the cowl as well or are we supposed to just ignore that continuity since we've had like 9 crisis books since? Doing the same with cap is just another form of rehash that in the end is just a story that wasted everyone's time. Clone wars anyone? You can't change the general public's main perception of who a character is. People know that Peter Parker is Spider-man, people know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, and some people know that Steve Rogers is Cap. If you can't really make a change why bother? Particularly cap's death was not long ago at all, just invalidates all those issues.

Valid point.

L Jamal
06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
What really comes out of this story is a Bucky as a stronger revitalized character. When the sidekicks step up and become the man, it really a story about them no longer being second fiddle. Ultimately, what happens to these sidekicks when the original returns is a much better story than he continuance of the status quo.

Nick Kerklaan
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Dick didn't take up the cowl in Knightfall, Azrael did.

As far as I know, Dick has never taken up the cowl before. That's kind of the point of the current storyline, Robin finally has to step up and fill his mentor's shoes.

L Jamal
06-16-2009, 04:11 PM

As far as I know, Dick has never taken up the cowl before. That's kind of the point of the current storyline, Robin finally has to step up and fill his mentor's shoes.

After Az left the cowl and before Bruce took over again, Dick was a reluctant Batman.

Eugene Selassie
06-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Dick took over in the Prodigal storyline.

Nick Kerklaan
06-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Whoooops.

Shows what I know.

Biofungus
06-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Ha! On the Marvel MySpace page, they posted a blog entry about it, to which I commented, "But why? The post-Rogers Cap. A. has been one of Marvel's best written books in YEARS!" but the comment was rejected :p I understand comment approval to weed out the snarky haters, but I hate when they reject any comment that isn't sucking up.

Paul Sanderson
06-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Eh, it was bound to happen.

Yeah, this was set to happen the instant Steve Rogers was done away with and people everywhere should have realised this.

And Bucky should have stayed dead.

Moonrider
06-17-2009, 01:42 AM

You're just being mean.

L Jamal
06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
But, he was never dead :p

kdmelrose
06-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Why?

darrell31316
06-17-2009, 09:46 AM
After Bucky and Jason Todd came back to "life" I began to think that the time was ripe for Spidey's Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents to make a comeback. That way every single character that has died in the history of Marvel and DC will have been brought back to life. And if Uncle Ben comes back as a cool looking supervillain or mercenary...oh boy!

Moonrider
06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
After Bucky and Jason Todd came back to "life" I began to think that the time was ripe for Spidey's Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents to make a comeback. That way every single character that has died in the history of Marvel and DC will have been brought back to life. And if Uncle Ben comes back as a cool looking supervillain or mercenary...oh boy!

What makes you think Uncle Ben's not back already? ;)

I was reaaaally really hoping that he is actually Deadpool. :laugh:

Eugene Selassie
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Whoooops.

Shows what I know.

Ehh...its ok Nick.

This stuff is all cyclical anyway.

You'll see it happen 15 more times in your lifetime anyway. LOL

The DarkMind
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
But, he was never dead :p

well, he was never alive either...

Nitecrawlah2
06-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm disappointed to see him come back so soon since I've really been enjoying Bucky as Cap. They could have let Bucky be Cap for another 5 years and I think it'd still be a fantastic book. Of course, with the #600 issue coming up and movie news, they're gonna push this sooner than I expected. Everyone knew Cap was already coming back, I just hoped they'd let Bucky do his thing for a while longer.

xombey
06-17-2009, 02:10 PM
i don't know about that. when they killed off superman, batman and cloned spider-man, the internet wasn't in full swing and it was still clear that it wasn't going to add up to anything. i think now, that gwen stacy and cpt mvl are the only dead characters that are staying dead. it's not fun when you know there's no real danger. that's why i hate superman as a character and now what wolverine has become, there's no sense that anyone is ever rreally in danger.

L Jamal
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Uncle Ben come back in a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man story by Peter David. It was an alternative universe version and I don't believe he was ever sent back to his universe.

xombey
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Why?
it means more. if characters die and them conveniently return there's no jeapordy. if there's no jeapordy, there's no point in reading the story. or maybe i should ask those who don't see it that way, what's the point of reading the story, if in the end all is wiped clean like it didn't happen. why would you care if that bomb went off--he'll be back in a few issues.

L Jamal
06-17-2009, 02:19 PM
The point of the story is the story.
We all know (or should know) that any change only exists at the surface and can be swept away at any time (see OMD). That however doesn't change the entertainment level of a good story.

xombey
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
but it kind of does. no matter how many great plays in a game most wouldn't watch it if they knew the outcome. it's kind of like that.

kdmelrose
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
it means more. if characters die and them conveniently return there's no jeapordy. if there's no jeapordy, there's no point in reading the story.

A fictional character is never in jeopardy; he isn't real. It's how the character, and those around him, react to plot developments -- deaths, births, love, destruction, etc. -- that matters.

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, et al, aren't any more likely to "die" (permanently) than the lead in an action-movie franchise or a hit TV series. It's the nature of serial drama.

Besides, Bucky's death, and Captain America's suspended animation, was a nonsensical retcon that did little more than necessitate the creation of additional Captains to explain that character's post-war exploits. In any case, the return, and rehabilitation, of Bucky Barnes has been far more engaging than the slap-dash flashback that killed him off.

xombey
06-17-2009, 02:49 PM
It's the nature of serial drama.
this is true. i think that's why i usually just buy interesting story arcs, as opposed to every issue of a series--in most cases.

Mark Bertolini
06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
A fictional character is never in jeopardy; he isn't real. It's how the character, and those around him, react to plot developments -- deaths, births, love, destruction, etc. -- that matters.

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, et al, aren't any more likely to "die" (permanently) than the lead in an action-movie franchise or a hit TV series. It's the nature of serial drama.

Besides, Bucky's death, and Captain America's suspended animation, was a nonsensical retcon that did little more than necessitate the creation of additional Captains to explain that character's post-war exploits. In any case, the return, and rehabilitation, of Bucky Barnes has been far more engaging than the slap-dash flashback that killed him off.

Very true. This Bucky we're talking about. What were the chances that Bucky would ever become a fan favorite character, 60 years later?

I just hope that when Steve returns, they do something with the Winter Soldier.

KidIntense
06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Steve Rogers is coming back??? WHy they wanna bring back the one true Captain America? I mean Bucky is doing a good job, bit i think you are right, it is time for Steve to come back to set things right. Also, will he be rejoining the New Avengers after Reborn?

fluxchild
06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Steve Rogers is coming back??? WHy they wanna bring back the one true Captain America? I mean Bucky is doing a good job, bit i think you are right, it is time for Steve to come back to set things right. Also, will he be rejoining the New Avengers after Reborn?

what?

Doctor Shock
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
They kinda have to bring back Steve Rogers the 70th anniversary is coming up and it needs to be him in the suit for that. If they waited til right before it would be anti-climactic. It's just too bad that Bucky has gotten the popular vote in the last 2 years. I trust Brubaker tho he can make Steve just as interesting I'd imagine.

HaphazardJoy
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Ugh, so far it's crap. There better be a good explanation of what Red Skull was up to, because so far this is goofy.

KHudd
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Ugh, so far it's crap. There better be a good explanation of what Red Skull was up to, because so far this is goofy.

Good writing and good art, this isn't crap just the way they are bringing him back. The book isn't that bad.

Moonrider
07-02-2009, 01:29 AM
It's kinda funny that people seem to hate watching their heroes come back from death, while their villains have done it millions of time from the beginning of pulp novel history, sometimes in almost every issue, and people are still okay with it.

HaphazardJoy
07-02-2009, 04:06 AM
It's kinda funny that people seem to hate watching their heroes come back from death, while their villains have done it millions of time from the beginning of pulp novel history, sometimes in almost every issue, and people are still okay with it.

Nope, I fucking loathe that too. Every now and then, with a well conceived plot twist, that's fine. Every other issue with a half-assed explanation, fuck that. I still can't figure out how Colossus is supposed to be alive... he sacrificed himself to cure the Legacy Virus, which worked, only that wasn't really Colossus because he was abducted by an alien race whose planet he was destined to destroy. I mean, even as an X-fan, what the fuck?!

Again, everyone knew Steve would be back, that's fine, but there's easily a couple more years of Bucky-as-Cap stories that would be better than just bringing Steve back, and they're bypassing that to bring Cap back in a ridiculous way.

Moonrider
07-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Yeah, but guys like Joker or Red Skull or that crossdressing dude from MacGyver who always seem to die at the end but keep coming back alive the next day receive less scrutiny than their heroic counterparts. Because, perhaps, we just love to watch them die over and over again!