PDA

View Full Version : Any good space-epic comics?

BJCochran
06-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Just curious if anyone can suggest some.

Gilgamesh
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Dang Brian! You got to it before I did! Ha! :laugh:

But yeah, I'm looking for something akin to Battlestar Galactica or Mass Effect, but NOT adaptations of those. I'm looking for something original that I can research. Sci-fi epics is what I'm trying to hunt down.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Skullbie
06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I enjoyed Sky doll a lot, it's a french comic with beautiful art that got translated (i think by dark horse but i'm not 100% sure) It's not 'lunky tough guys shoot aliens and one-liners' by any means though.

Ian Ascher
06-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Marvel's Annihilation Events have been really good cosmic space action comics and this years War of Kings isn't bad.

You can get the collected editions on-line at good prices and read everything at once.

Mark Bertolini
06-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Alien Legion is still one of my favorites.

Ian Ascher
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Ive been reading Star Wars Legacy from Dark Horse the past few weeks.

Its set 125 years after Jedi. It has a familiar yet different feel to it.

L Jamal
06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I enjoyed Sky doll a lot, it's a french comic with beautiful art that got translated (i think by dark horse but i'm not 100% sure) It's not 'lunky tough guys shoot aliens and one-liners' by any means though.
That's Marvel's Soleil imprint that published Sky Doll here in the US.

Ian Ascher
06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Just saw this on Newsarama:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060917-STarstruck01.html

Ive heard of this but never read it. Was a bit before my time. Might be interesting though.

Nitecrawlah2
06-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I highly recommend the Annihilation miniseries to get you started. Fantastic read and crazy epic-scale space craziness going on there. That'll set you up with any of the current series out now; Nova, Guardians of The Galaxy, and a few others I can't think of right now.

WilliamStormeSmith
06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I've been reading the first 2 TPB of Marvel's Star Wars, pretty darn good.

"Space Usagi", is one of my all time favorites. "Negation", from Crossgen was pretty good. Don't know if "Camelot 3000" counts, more of an alien invasion, but it rocks.

But my favorite is probably "Dreadstar" from Jim Starlin, I got a good deal on the whole series a couple conventions back, and really was impressed!

Aaron Walther
06-30-2009, 09:12 PM
The first 12 or so issues of Fear Agent are some of the best space/sci fi comics I've ever read. Once the book moved from Image to Dark Horse, Reminder began moving the book in different directions.

But if you are looking for some "classic" science fiction, check out Fear Agent.

knockedoutpanzer
07-13-2009, 06:18 AM
all of the above- there is a current DC comic "Rebels" -however many cosmic buffs hate it as too derivative. However I think it's fab.

JamieRoberts
07-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Actually, I'd be interested to read some of these. Has there ever been a comic adaptation of the Lensman series?

HaphazardJoy
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Marvel and Soleil have been releasing some of Soleil's comics in English, as indicated by Skull and Jamal. They've all been pretty good, and all of them but for Samurai: Legend have been roughly space-epics.

Sky Doll was alright, kind of like a perverted Disney movie in comic form.

Ythaq doesn't quite do it for me, meh.

But, both Universal War One and Scourge of the Gods are pretty awesome books.

DemolitionSamurai
07-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I highly recommend the Annihilation miniseries to get you started. Fantastic read and crazy epic-scale space craziness going on there. That'll set you up with any of the current series out now; Nova, Guardians of The Galaxy, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Came here to say everything this guy's saying. Especially Guardians of the Galaxy; I love that comic.

WilliamStormeSmith
07-13-2009, 04:20 PM
all of the above- there is a current DC comic "Rebels" -however many cosmic buffs hate it as too derivative. However I think it's fab.

REBELS is about my favorite DC book right now!

Ian Ascher
07-15-2009, 07:39 AM
REBELS has been good since issue #1. A very under-rated book.

In a shop with about 60 pull customers I'm the only one that buys it and my shop owner stopped buying an extra for the shelf because no one else touched it. A damn shame too...

The only down side is someone that doesn't know the DCU space characters could get lost very easily. There's a lot of characters floating about that book. Tony does his best to keep it in-line though.

knockedoutpanzer
07-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I do like Rebels but the review at Cosmic News slated it.

http://cosmicbooknews.com/