PDA

View Full Version : Reborn

KidIntense
06-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Yes, it will be the return of Captain America, but it will be a cool story. Everyone thought it would be the return of Steve Rogers, but it turned out to be the return of Isaiah Bradley. Yes, the black Captain America from truth will return. I hope fans will love to see a black Captain America which will be cool. Anyway, Reborn will be out in July, and it will be a big story.

ronin7
06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes, it will be the return of Captain America, but it will be a cool story. Everyone thought it would be the return of Steve Rogers, but it turned out to be the return of Isaiah Bradley. Yes, the black Captain America from truth will return. I hope fans will love to see a black Captain America which will be cool. Anyway, Reborn will be out in July, and it will be a big story.

A lot of speculation is Isaiah is going to replace Bucky Cap as Cap. Which is starting to get ridiculous at this point. Bucky has replaced Cap, fans love it. Why replace him with a character that's two dimensional?

Moonrider
06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Not to mention currently he has an IQ of a child thanks to the imperfect super soldier serum.
Josiah X, however, may be an interesting choice if they keep his Muslim background intact.

The DarkMind
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Well, you know... we have a black President now and every company has been cashing in on that with all the Obama appearances. We at Marvel figured we could one-up them since we already had a black Captain America from the 2003 series run we did. It was great to finally get the blond haired blue eyed Aryan stereotype Rogers out of the role since Cap is supposed to be symbolic of what America is, and that vision has been long gone, but still keeping a white guy in the role just seemed very outdated. Bringing Isaiah back was the most logical thing to do then.

We feel that not only will this be something that the other companies can't top, but it will also broaden our reader base and increase sales. At the end of the day, that's all we really care about anyway.

'Nuff said :whistlin:

Moonrider
06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Why can't we have an african-american Spider-Man instead? Or Deadpool. Or Darkhawk. Or any character with a fully body costume. I mean, even black characters wearing full body costumes like Black Panther and Black Manta still feel the need to put the word 'Black' in front of their code names. That is wrong no matter how you deny it. Or hey I got a radical idea, a black Galactus! No longer will our universe be devoured by the natural disaster that is the cosmic sized white man wearing a purple bucket on top of his head.

But seriously, it's still an interesting idea if they can keep it real and make it a good story to read.

Mwynn
06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Yet a Black Panther is a real animal. Not all Panthers are black.

Moonrider
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
'Panther' is not a species name, though. It's a synonim for either jaguars, leopards and cougars. Only the black ones are commonly called 'panthers' to distinguish them from the rare albino jaguars/leopards/cougars. I've never heard of a Marvel character named White Panther, so the 'Black' is still unnecessary.

L Jamal
06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
There's White Tiger

Lightdragon
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Why can't we have an african-american Spider-Man instead? Or Deadpool. Or Darkhawk. Or any character with a fully body costume.

I think this is to show that the character is black. A character in a full body suit wouldn't really do it. You see spiderman fight so and so and it wouldn't really matter. It would make a difference if spiderman was a different sex or body shape. When most of these characters were created, it was a different time like the Captain America. So naturally they were you're typical white Anglo-Saxon protestant types. I think if a new character develops then possibly a non-white might form.

The DarkMind
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
'Panther' is not a species name, though. It's a synonim for either jaguars, leopards and cougars. Only the black ones are commonly called 'panthers' to distinguish them from the rare albino jaguars/leopards/cougars. I've never heard of a Marvel character named White Panther, so the 'Black' is still unnecessary.

the panther family also includes lions and tigers. it's any of the big cats.

black panther is most commonly a jaguar or leopard because they are very similiar in physical characteristics and the only way to tell which is very close inspection because the pattern is still visible.

black cougars are thought to not exist because there is no record of them and they've never been bred.

black tigers exist, but they are physically more distinct and can be identified as such so they are just called black tigers.

cant find anything on black lions though.

so, black is necessary. I don't think the "black" in black panther was meant to indicate the man under the mask was of african descent. it was meant to indicate a black panther because there was always an air of mystery and mysticism associated with the animal because of its rarity and it was viewed as a stronger and more cunning animal then it's regular tawny or spotted counter part.

Moonrider
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I think this is to show that the character is black. A character in a full body suit wouldn't really do it. You see spiderman fight so and so and it wouldn't really matter. It would make a difference if spiderman was a different sex or body shape. When most of these characters were created, it was a different time like the Captain America. So naturally they were you're typical white Anglo-Saxon protestant types. I think if a new character develops then possibly a non-white might form.

My previous post was sarcastic in nature. It's just to make a point that these racial changes are most likely there for shock value, and should not have been made such a big deal if it fits the story well. Of course you can't tell if Spider-Man or Deadpool is white or black until you tear up their suit to reveal their skin or simply hear them talk. But you'd know if Captain America is black or Asian descent or even hispanic under the half mask. I think, that is why characters like Deadpool and Spider-Man (the garden variety kind, not Spidey 2099 who is actually hispanic since the original concept) are relatively safe from such alterations because the changes won't affect much of Marvel U, even though it affects us, the readers, greatly. Generally speaking though, any racial or gender changes in comics are mostly unnecessary for whatever reason.

As for the 'Black Panther', I always thought that 'Black Jaguar' would have been a better name. Alas, no jaguars in Africa ;) . Consciously or subconsciously, the name Black Panther, Black Manta, Black Lightning etc. are products of their time just as well as the rendition of Steve Rogers as a square jawed white man. Today, history say that people just learn to tolerate them and thankfully the reasoning is acceptable to the general audience. It's just funny how out of millions of names they could have come up with, those were the best they can do. :laugh:

Lightdragon
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
My previous post was sarcastic in nature. sorry couldn't tell unless there was a :P ;-) or some smilely. But believe it or not some people might make that statement and not be sacrastic.

It's just to make a point that these racial changes are most likely there for shock value, and should not have been made such a big deal if it fits the story well. that i agree with. But if they feel it will generate sales. And if it does generate an increase in sales. then they will continue on.

yellowphantom
06-09-2009, 11:05 PM
...as long as brubaker was handling the writing chores ...i would say it could have the potential to be one of the best cap storylines in decades (besides brubakers current fantastic run)...
...but marvel will probably hand it off to someone like jeph loeb and we'll get the
"mystery of the RED CAP!!!".....
...is he cap or communist????
...or is he BOTH????

KHudd
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Why can't we have an african-american Spider-Man instead? Or Deadpool. Or Darkhawk. Or any character with a fully body costume. I mean, even black characters wearing full body costumes like Black Panther and Black Manta still feel the need to put the word 'Black' in front of their code names. That is wrong no matter how you deny it. Or hey I got a radical idea, a black Galactus! No longer will our universe be devoured by the natural disaster that is the cosmic sized white man wearing a purple bucket on top of his head.

But seriously, it's still an interesting idea if they can keep it real and make it a good story to read.

I don't know whether to laugh at this iggnorance or be sad that this comment is iggnorant.

Moonrider
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't know whether to laugh at this iggnorance or be sad that this comment is iggnorant.

I don't know whether to laugh at your misspelling or be sad that there is no such word as 'iggnorant'.

Mike225
06-10-2009, 01:33 AM
'Panther' is not a species name, though. It's a synonim for either jaguars, leopards and cougars. Only the black ones are commonly called 'panthers' to distinguish them from the rare albino jaguars/leopards/cougars. I've never heard of a Marvel character named White Panther, so the 'Black' is still unnecessary.I can't remember that white guy's name from the beginning of the Priest series, but I think it was White Panther.

Biofungus
06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
the panther family also includes lions and tigers. it's any of the big cats.

black panther is most commonly a jaguar or leopard because they are very similiar in physical characteristics and the only way to tell which is very close inspection because the pattern is still visible.

black cougars are thought to not exist because there is no record of them and they've never been bred.

black tigers exist, but they are physically more distinct and can be identified as such so they are just called black tigers.

cant find anything on black lions though.

so, black is necessary. I don't think the "black" in black panther was meant to indicate the man under the mask was of african descent. it was meant to indicate a black panther because there was always an air of mystery and mysticism associated with the animal because of its rarity and it was viewed as a stronger and more cunning animal then it's regular tawny or spotted counter part.
Meow?

protonik
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
So would a black Captain America be called "Black America" in order to follow the "Black" meme? Tm and (c) Black America to me. LOL

The DarkMind
06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Meow?

What? I didn't see Newt chiming in so... thought i'd give it a go.

Mark Bertolini
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
So would a black Captain America be called "Black America" in order to follow the "Black" meme? Tm and (c) Black America to me. LOL

Actually, I think that was already Tm and (c) Public Enemy.

Newt
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
You rang?

If any black guy were going to take up the mantle of Captain America, it would have to be his long-time partner the Falcon.

Anyone remember the uproar over the black Bucky several years back?

The DarkMind
06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
You rang?

If any black guy were going to take up the mantle of Captain America, it would have to be his long-time partner the Falcon.

Anyone remember the uproar over the black Bucky several years back?

geez... do you search for your name like Mr. Robinson does? :laugh:

darrell31316
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure who to believe anymore, newsarama or Kid Intense?

Newt
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
geez... do you search for your name like Mr. Robinson does? :laugh:

Hey! I'm not that pitiful. :mad:

The DarkMind
06-17-2009, 02:19 PM
not yet? ;)

xombey
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Yet a Black Panther is a real animal. Not all Panthers are black.
all panthers are black. a panther is a black jaguar.

The DarkMind
06-17-2009, 02:23 PM
all panthers are black. a panther is a black jaguar.

wrong. see post 10.

xombey
06-17-2009, 02:35 PM
1. learn something new all the time. i never noticed the posts were numbered before.

2. even tho, the black in "black panther" is needed, i'm sure , because of the era in which he was created, that the black meant black man as in, black lightning, black racer, black vulcan, vykin the black...

Doctor Shock
06-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I wish Steve Rogers could make it back for the characters 70th anniversary.