PDA

View Full Version : Multiversity

Ian Ascher
06-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Read about this in another interview then went and found this one. Sounds like a fun series:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21104

pi0trov
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this (and not just because Captain Carrot shows up, but that's a nice bonus...). Really interested in the "90's Heroes" world he mentions - although I'd be happier if those "replacement" heroes hadn't got re-replaced by the old guard.

I know DC would never do it, but they could've just had a Silver Age world for one of the 52. Bring back Hal and Barry and anyone else, and just give them their own world and let New Earth go forward. Almost seems too obvious...

Biofungus
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Sounds like "Elseworlds: the Series"

Knuckles
06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Sounds great!

Biofungus
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Has Elseworlds ever been in series format? I know they used to have a lot of one shots and mini's, but have they ever done it "What if?" style?

I think the biggest problem here is that Morrison is writing it. My personal disdain for his writing aside, I don't think he's the right "flavor" to establish this (his forte tends to be coming into an existing series and shaking things up, not starting from essentially the ground up).

RandallFlagg
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Seeing as how this thread is already about the multiverse, can I ask some questions regarding where things take place? Like, what Earth does Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil take place? Or Neil Gaiman Sandman? I know that could be any of them, but still. Is the DCAU considered part of the multiverse? Batman: Brave and the Bold? See, there's a lot of stuff I need to know dammit!

pi0trov
06-05-2009, 12:34 AM
There was a partial list of the different Earths that was circulating after 52 finished, and I believe one of them was supposed to be the "Vertigo" Earth. But considering that select characters seem to wander back and forth between the Vertigo and "real" universes (e.g. even Death and Dream have met members of the Justice League), and so much of Vertigo's titles are self-contained and not connected, I don't know what that term was supposed to cover.

Also, they did show a world that was apparently the DCAU during Countdown, or at least had someone who looked like the Terry McGinnis Batman...

RandallFlagg
06-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Also, they did show a world that was apparently the DCAU during Countdown, or at least had someone who looked like the Terry McGinnis Batman...
See, I remember that, but I didn't think that they called him Terry. I thought Bruce used his name and it was something different. I'll have to go back and check.

Moonrider
06-05-2009, 05:58 AM
I think there are several alternative worlds that could be interesting if it's mapped in the proper DCU multiverse, but there are elseworlds that should just stand on its own. Would I care about a Preacher/Superman crossover? Or see Yorick team up with Congorilla? Sounds almost interesting, but I don't really want it.

Ian Ascher
06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't think any of the lists that we can find on the net are 100% offical Multiverse lists. I want to say there was some serious changes made as a result of Countdown and Final Crisis.

Most of the wolrds can be figured out by reading the Arena mini series that was part of Countdown but a lot of those characters died so you have to wonder if DC will keep these alternate Elsworld realities without their Batmen, Wonder Women, Green Lanterns, or Supermen, among others.

Vertigo, in my mind, is part of the real DCU. While some books stand on their own, like Preacher, books like Swamp Thing, Sandman, Animal Man, Hellblazer, Doom Patrol, Shade the Changing Man, and so on have all crossed back and forth. Its on the twilights edge of the traditional DCU.

To my knowledge, the closest we ever got to an offical Elseworlds series was the year all the Annuals were Elseworlds stories. Like Marvel, anytime a story didn't fit into continuity, it became it's own little universe to be revisited or ignored as creators saw fit.

Ian Ascher
06-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Here's one of the Lists I found on line...

Earth-0 aka New Earth: The Earth existing in the primary reality following the Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis events. Specifically referred to as Earth-0/Zero in Final Crisis #7.

Earth-1: unknown

Earth-2: This Earth is defended by Justice Society Infinity, a successive version of the original Justice Society whose members include Batman's daughter, the Huntress, and an older Robin. Reminiscent of Pre-Crisis Earth-Two.

Earth-3: Criminal versions of Earth-2's JSA.

Earth-4: Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, and the Question, among others, are the heroes of this Earth. Reminiscent of Pre-Crisis Earth-Four.

Earth-5: The Marvel Family are Earth's main heroes on a world of magic. Reminiscent of Pre-Crisis Earth-S.

Earth-6: World including version of Ray Palmer who becomes The Ray. This Earth contains heroes similar to those of Marvel Comics.

Earth-7: World including version of Courtney Whitmore who becomes known as Starwoman.

Earth-8: Home world of Lord Havok and the Extremists.

Earth-9: Tangent Universe

Earth-10: The original Freedom Fighters fight Nazi counterparts of the JLA.

Earth-11: A reverse gender Earth.

Earth-12: A future world inhabited by a version of Batman 'beyond anything ever seen'.

Earth-13: World of dark and arcane heroes.

Earth-14: unknown

Earth-15: A populated parellel developed Earth whose people have evolved to become 'nearly perfect beings' of their own personal development. Earth-15 was completely destroyed by Kal-El (Earth-Prime). The source dimension and other inhabited planets of that dimension continue to exist.

Earth-16: Home of the Super-Sons. Source Earth of Christopher Kent the alternate Superman. Once designated to be the Source Earth of the 52 multiverse version of The Supersons, but is has been revealed that there are no other Kryptonian relatives to Christopher Kent in this reality.

Earth-17: A post-apocalyptic world where the Atomic Knights protect the last signs of life. On this Earth, science and magic apparently co-exist - this Earth's greatest hero is Superdemon.

Earth-18: A world where the JLA are a group of lawmen who ride the Wild West.

Earth-19: Batman fights Jack the Ripper in the 1880s.

Earth-20: Home to a group of pulp-inspired heroes, the Society of Super-Heroes, led by Doc Fate

Earth-21: A world where the Cold War has recently ended, and a new age of heroes has begun.

Earth-22: A near-future world brought to the brink of apocalypse by warring superheroes. Starman confirms that before he came back to the 21st Century during the Lightning Saga, he was accidently shunted to Earth-22 ("No one liked each other there very much!").

Earth-23: unknown

Earth-24: unknown

Earth-25: unknown

Earth-26: Home of the cartoon animal superheroes Captain Carrot & The Zoo Crew.

Earth-27: unknown

Earth-28: unknown

Earth-29: unknown

Earth-30: Superman is a champion of Cold War-era Soviet Russia.

Earth-31: A "darker version of the future"

Earth-32: Bruce Wayne becomes Green Lantern instead of Hal Jordan.

Earth-33: A mystical earth where all of the heroes have magic-based powers, including Bat-Mage, and Kal-El, wielder of Kryptonian Magicks. Ruled by the multiversal seer Oracle.

Earth-34: Wonder Woman frees Britain from oppression under the reign of King Jack.

Earth-35: unknown

Earth-36: unknown

Earth-37: Thrillkiller Universe

Earth-38: Homeworld to a Captain Atom who leads the Atomic Knights.

Earth-39: Homeworld of Daniel Garrett who became Blue Beetle the same way as Jamie Reyes.

Earth-40: The Liberty Files world, where costumed heroes and villains have joined World War II.

Earth-41: unknown

Earth-42: unknown

Earth-43: A world of vampires and the supernatural, inhabited by a vampire Batman.

Earth-44: Unknown, but it's main heroes were a group of robots called the Metal Men, led by "Doc Tornado"

Earth-45: unknown

Earth-46: unknown

Earth-47: unknown

Earth-48: Native home of the Forerunners, creatures bred by the Monitors from all the alien races of the solar system after the destruction of all human life on Earth in a war against other planets. This universe's counterpart of J'onn J'onzz is a general in the Martian army.

Earth-49: An Earth who's sun has been turned into a Red Sun by Firestorm. Superman, Supergirl and other heroes that need the sun's yellow rays must wear suits identical to Superboy-Prime's.

Earth-50: The Wildstorm Universe.

Earth-51: "A near perfect world. No mention of crime, war, poverty, disease .." Universe-51 later destroyed as a result of Monarch's apparent death at the hands of Prime.

Some of these are very vague and some I have a tough time believing DC will keep set as we see them here if they are correct.

Paul Sanderson
06-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Sounds a bit iffy to me.