PDA

View Full Version : Popular characters that you just don't get

Callen493
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Are there any popular comic characters that you feel are undesiring of their popularity? Let us know who and why.

For me, besides Wolverine, the one character I really don't get is Nightcrawler. In every incarnation I have seen him in he has either been boring or annoying. I love X-men and can usually find something interesting about every other character, including Wolverine, but the appeal of Nightcrawler seriously escapes me.

Biofungus
06-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Mike225.

Mike225
06-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Gambit.Fuck you, you're wrong.

Wolverine.

Allegory Comics
06-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Plastic Man.

I just don't get it. He's not funny and he looks perpetually trapped in the 1970s. Maybe with a relaunch, some fresh talent, and a make-over, I'd start caring.

Biofungus
06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Fuck you, you're wrong.

Wolverine.
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about... :whistlin:

Callen493
06-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I totally get what you are saying about Plastic Man, he loos ridiculous and is annoying. I am an Elongated Man fan, mainly because of the name. Hear a lot of people don't like him though, especially when compared to Pastic Man.

Mike225
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about... :whistlin:Ass.

Mike225
06-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Shithole Shirley.

Allegory Comics
06-04-2009, 12:39 AM
My lawyers will be issuing a cease and desist order immediately. :man:

Buckyrig
06-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Flapdoodle Squashberg.

Biofungus
06-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Batroc the Leaper.

Buckyrig
06-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, mostly for being cookie-cutter chins that are preferred by many more than better-developed successors.

Daredevil. I dunno, just don't get it.

Biofungus
06-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, mostly for being cookie-cutter chins that are preferred by many more than better-developed successors.

Daredevil. I dunno, just don't get it.
Yeah, getting back to the "seriousness" in this thread, I totally agree with this.

Mike225
06-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Is BloodWulf popular?

Doctor Shock
06-04-2009, 05:22 AM
The Punisher.

Except for Mike Zeck Mini in the 80s and that was all due to the artwork and the appearance in DD by Miller I can't see why he was ever popular. Same with Venom except for a great visual I think his story is lame.

pi0trov
06-04-2009, 05:32 AM
I enjoyed the first Ennis/Dillon run on Punisher, but mostly just for the humor. Really didn't matter who the character was.

I think the best thing I've read with him in it was a Punisher/DD mini a few years back done (drawn/written) by Dave Lapham. If Marvel just gave the regular book to Lapham I'd probably actually buy it, but I'm pretty certain that'll never happen...

But yeah, normally I don't really get his appeal either.

I'll also say Spawn. Sure, I thought he was the most awesomest thing ever when I was a dumb teenager, 17 years ago... But really, how is that book still going?

HaphazardJoy
06-04-2009, 05:33 AM
I get him, I just don't get the total adoration most incarnations of Deadpool receive. I've liked him in some arcs, like in the current Messiah War crossover, but I don't love him.

Great Scott
06-05-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm also voting for the Punisher & Gambit. I've just never seen anything interesting in any incarnation of either.

Ian Ascher
06-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I'll also say Spawn. Sure, I thought he was the most awesomest thing ever when I was a dumb teenager, 17 years ago... But really, how is that book still going?

I'm no longer the die-hard Spawn fan I was when Image first started but I've seen recent issues and have picked it up and flipped through it from time to time and, at least to me, it seems as if its evolved and grown beyond the 90's supernatural anti-superhero it once was.

I could be wrong though.

Some of the characters that I don't get....

Superboy: A very Silver Age concept no matter how you spin it. I've seen fanboys in my LCS and on-line just go rabid for the current version of this character who hapens to be a clone on Superman & Luthor. He was created as a gimmick and it took a gimmick to keep him going. I just don't see the appeal.

Impulse/Kid Flash/Bart Allen: Another kid hero or sidekick type character. No matter how hard they tried to make Bart Allen his own character he just never clicked with me. He's another character fans seem to be rabid for.

The fact that Geoff Johns has been responsible for both characters over the past five or six years might have something to do with it. There are some fans that don't feel he can do anything wrong in the DCU. Me, I'm just tired of all the generational hero stories which seems to be all he can do now, aside from Green Lantern.

I can understand why Wolverine, Gambit and the Punisher are popular. It's easy to say you can't but those three characters seem to have made the crossover from comics to multi-media on every level and their fan base is much larger than the traditional comic book reader. I wanted toadd Deadpool to the mix but he's kind of in the same boat as the other three now and has somehow become larger than the comics he started in.

NickGuy
06-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Plastic Man.

I just don't get it. He's not funny and he looks perpetually trapped in the 1970s. Maybe with a relaunch, some fresh talent, and a make-over, I'd start caring.

frank miller made the best use of plastic man ever, IMO.

kyle bakers plastic man comics are great and funny.

i dont see how you dont get it

Allegory Comics
06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
frank miller made the best use of plastic man ever, IMO.

kyle bakers plastic man comics are great and funny.

i dont see how you dont get it
Post some examples if you can find them online.

It's been years since I read any Plastic Man, so if there's something better out there today, I would have missed it because I gave up on him long ago. I never saw the point in wasting my time and money with him after that, but if you can show me samples (for free) that change my mind ... by all means.

yellowphantom
06-06-2009, 06:56 PM
in no particular order:
Gambit
Deadpool
Aquaman
Hawkman
Sentry
Spawn
The Question
Woozy Winks
Garfield
Kid Intense (just kidding guys)

Biofungus
06-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Sentry's not popular. And darn tootin' Aquaman ain't!

NickGuy
06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Post some examples if you can find them online.

It's been years since I read any Plastic Man, so if there's something better out there today, I would have missed it because I gave up on him long ago. I never saw the point in wasting my time and money with him after that, but if you can show me samples (for free) that change my mind ... by all means.
youve never read DK2? *gasp*

aside from that, heres some of my favorite moments from the plastic man comic by kyle baker. granted,t hey are more jokes at the JLA's suspense, but its the only scans i have from the comic, which is all hilarious
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/NickGuy_2006/Scan0003-26.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/NickGuy_2006/Scan0004-21.jpg

Callen493
06-06-2009, 08:18 PM
besides the robin growing up thing that wasn't funny at all and even that was just a humorous observation and not a joke. And I don't see how that highlights Plastic Man's appeal

KidIntense
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
We know Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern, & The Flash, and they are popular because they are A-listers. Aquaman needs to be an A-lister instead of a B-lister. So far Kid Intense is becoming an A-lister soon if all goes well. By the way, Spider-Man, X-Men, Thor Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, even Wolverine are A-listers and we love them. Since you love my character Kid Intense, he can be an A-lister too.

Allegory Comics
06-07-2009, 01:55 AM
youve never read DK2? *gasp*
Actually, yes, I did (but not for Plastic Man). As I recall, it sucked. I'm not a huge fan of Frank Miller. DKR was good, but only in that surreal, abstract way. And lately he's just a characiture of his former self. DK2 was like DKR on a bad acid trip. And his writing on ASBARTBW (we need an acronym for the acronym) is horrible!

As for Baker, I have always appreciated his cartoon-style, and when I heard he was doing a Plastic Man book, I knew he would be a good fit. But I've never really been drawn to his work. The pages you posted are cute, and get a quiet chuckle out of me, but (as you've said) they don't say anything about Plastic Man. In fact, that ONE picture of Plas on page 1, panel 4, is just plain awful.

For me to get interested in Plastic Man he would need two things - 1) a creator I knew and liked well, and 2) a new look.

So far, he hasn't had either.

HaphazardJoy
06-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I 100% get Spawn as a character, but not as a franchise anymore though. They jumped the shark several years ago.

By the time you become the all powerful God of a new world and sever all ties with Heaven and Hell, it's about time to call it quits. At that point, you could end the series and have it be a good, complete story... OR, you could keep on beating the concept like a dead horse for another decade.