PDA

View Full Version : Marvel and Comic Prices

Ian Ascher
06-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Read it here:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/06/01/marvels-john-turitzin-on-price-increases-%e2%80%9cwere-just-looking-to-maximise-our-profits-for-business%e2%80%9d/

Can't say I blame them 100%. They are first and foremost, running a business and most of us are still buying something despite the sales.

Personaly, I would love to see a break down to see what the true price point on a comic book should be.

L Jamal
06-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I think it's funny because as the cost of books rise, I just stop buying monthlies. Now that I'm only buying TPBs and HC, my Marvel consumption has gone down tremendously. I was buying the entire Avengers line for a while and now, I buy none. About 10% of my purchases are Marvel (down from about 50%). DC is about 25% (up from about 10%), the rest is mostly Dark Horse and Image.

The books added to my pull list (yes I have TPB and HC pull list) since Oct 2008
Stand HC
The Bomb TPB
Tom Strong Deluxe Edition
Fables Deluxe Edition
Y the Last Man Deluxe Edition
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Collected Book One
SiP Omnibus

DeadboyPress
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
It's craziness! why did it take so long for books to go from $1 to $1.99 and now they jump up a dollar at a time?

For the past year or two i've been budgeting myself $21 per week for books...if there's a heavy week something gets left behind. If it's a light week i try and go back and see whats left from previous heavy weeks...but it's crazy!

I remember when i was in high school in the early 90's, a weeks worth of books would give me reading material for a whole week with some left over....i clearly remember having a stack next to my bed of stuff i hadn't gotten to. Now, i get my books on Thursday and by Sunday I'm banging around the web looking for previews of next weeks books!

DB

Eugene Selassie
06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I remember when i was in high school in the early 90's, a weeks worth of books would give me reading material for a whole week with some left over....i clearly remember having a stack next to my bed of stuff i hadn't gotten to. Now, i get my books on Thursday and by Sunday I'm banging around the web looking for previews of next weeks books!

DB

You're being generous.
3 days??? More like 3 hours.

BJCochran
06-02-2009, 02:06 PM
It's a conspiracy to get rid of the single issue market.

Eugene Selassie
06-02-2009, 02:31 PM
It's a conspiracy to get rid of the single issue market.

A year or two ago I would have scoffed at this and called it alarmist.

Now, all signs are pointing in the direction you stated my friend.

BJCochran
06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
A year or two ago I would have scoffed at this and called it alarmist.

Now, all signs are pointing in the direction you stated my friend.

It's really really sad.

My prediction is that by 2013 (If we dont all die first...end of the world you know) all comics will be trades and or online. It really sucks because I love going to the store to pick up monthly issues, I love the cliffhangers that make me sit and think about what will happen next.

Granted I don't buy monthly comics like I used to (Because of the prices). I still pick up my regular monthly supply.

Plus now its going to be that we have to wait a year just for a trade featuring 4 issues worth.

I miss the way it used to be!!! I miss monthly titles that shipped on time, I miss single issue stories where it wasn't just to build a trade, I miss the fact that these 5 issue arcs were a rare occurance in titles and as a fan when I saw one of these prolonged arcs coming out I would be excited because it usually meant something big was going to happen, I just miss the way things used to be!!!!!!!!

RonaldMontgomery
06-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Personaly, I would love to see a break down to see what the true price point on a comic book should be.

I would love someone to reverse-engineer printing and labor costs to find out what these books REALLY cost...and what the variation is between titles.

I though the mention of demand elasticity was interesting...someone, somewhere, is crunching numbers to determine the the sweet spot with readership and unit price, where profit is maximized.

The floppy book buyer has been segmented out from other market segments (for sake of argument, HC and TPB buyer) and being given the SQUEEEEEZE.

As a reader I think it stinks, but as a shareholder I agree.

ponyrl
06-03-2009, 01:28 AM

I read manga.

Ian Ascher
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
It's really really sad.

My prediction is that by 2013 (If we dont all die first...end of the world you know) all comics will be trades and or online. It really sucks because I love going to the store to pick up monthly issues, I love the cliffhangers that make me sit and think about what will happen next.

Granted I don't buy monthly comics like I used to (Because of the prices). I still pick up my regular monthly supply.

Plus now its going to be that we have to wait a year just for a trade featuring 4 issues worth.

I miss the way it used to be!!! I miss monthly titles that shipped on time, I miss single issue stories where it wasn't just to build a trade, I miss the fact that these 5 issue arcs were a rare occurance in titles and as a fan when I saw one of these prolonged arcs coming out I would be excited because it usually meant something big was going to happen, I just miss the way things used to be!!!!!!!!

No matter what happens I don't think we'll ever see traditional comics disappear. They may shrink and their numbers was dwindle but they will never go away. We'll always have books like Action, Superman, Batman, Spider-man Cap, and the Fantastic Four (to name a few) in a traditional monthly format.

Trades are put out the month after a story arc ends now so yeah, you might have to wait five to thirteen months to read a story, depending on how it's collected, but if you're not reading the regular series anyways, will you really notice?

UniverseX259
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I dunno, I think even with the big companies pushing for trades that single issues still have to exist in some form. With single issues a casual buyer could look at a rack of comics and see a Green Lantern comic that looks nice, and they'll buy it since they've never read GL before. If they like it, they keep buying it. If they don't like it, oh well, they spent $3 on a single issue. I think the risk is higher for new readers to buy a whole TPB for $15-20 on a series they're not familiar with, and if they don't like it they're out more money.

Personally I'd rather buy single issues of a series, and then maybe only buy the TPB if I've missed an arc or something. Granted, I can't really afford to buy comics at this point in my life, but whenever I'm in a comic shop the first area I check is the new monthly issues, then maybe I'll check the trades. And if I do buy a trade, it's usually a series I'm familiar with.

L Jamal
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but publisher could put out sampler issues to catch casual readers and entice them into buying the collected volumes.

Lightdragon
06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
the one thing i know about both Marvel and DC.(not sure on other companies so i can't say squat about them ). They are constantly experimenting and to see what works and what doesn't. If they see it doesn't work. sometimes it'll take a few years .like one to three years .But if they see it doesn't work then they will scrap it.

also no one mentioned anything about subscriptions. and as far as i can tell it's being sent out via snail mail.

So the question i want to know is what is the percentage of readers that use subscriptions and what are the ones which just buy the comics.

So if most of the people are buying through subscriptions then it would make sense for an increase. As Marvel is only getting about $1.45 or so an issue. The increase would make it at about $2.09 an in issue through subscriptions.

also forgot to mention postage is free.

L Jamal
06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
also forgot to mention postage is free.
Not for them it's not. It's factored into the subscription price. Marvel and DC have brokered deals with Diamond so, no one knows how much they pay Diamond per unit. It could very well be a set fee per year or book or copy however, it's well less than the what they make selling direct to the consumer.

Lightdragon
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Not for them it's not. It's factored into the subscription price. Marvel and DC have brokered deals with Diamond so, no one knows how much they pay Diamond per unit. It could very well be a set fee per year or book or copy however, it's well less than the what they make selling direct to the consumer.
that i didn't know. so offhand, 1st class postage in the U.S.A would be $0.88 (do not have a cents symbol on my computer. :mad: ) and minus the $2.08/ per issue that is currently being offered in subs. . so that would be about $1.20 an issue then.

L Jamal
06-04-2009, 08:15 PM
They don't send it first class.
I think they send it second class which is cheaper and they have a bulk discount. Marvel probably takes home about 1/2 the subscription price in profit. The Direct Market pays for the comics, so anything sold direct is just money in their pockets.

Lightdragon
06-05-2009, 12:37 AM
thank you. thank you thank you.

I've been here only about a few days and I am learning quite a lot.