PDA

View Full Version : Who is the new sorcerer supreme?

Callen493
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I heard it was revealed in the latest new avengers but i haven't read it yet. Anyone want to spoil it for me?

ronin7
05-29-2009, 12:37 PM
I heard it was revealed in the latest new avengers but i haven't read it yet. Anyone want to spoil it for me?

Bendis heavily hinted he was going to make Billy Kaplan the Sorcerer Supreme. But it easily could have been a fake out, and the Hood becomes the SS.

Eugene Selassie
05-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Will read once someone who knows how to write magic in at least a half-way believable way takes over this story.

Callen493
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I just heard it is Brother Voodoo

knockedoutpanzer
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Paul Daniels? :p

Biofungus
05-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Squirrel Girl.

Troy Wall
05-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a better idea, keep it as Dr. Strange.

Callen493
05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
But it is Brother Voodoo according to the end of the issue

WilliamStormeSmith
05-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I expected a lot more out of this story arc. I'm sure there is a lot to come, but seems like a lot of gun play and anti-climatic battles for a story about the search for a new sorcerer supreme.

Biofungus
05-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Wasn't Brother Voodoo the Sorcerer Supreme in at least 2 other alt type stories? (I'm pretty sure the Exiles met up with a Bro Voo SS, but I think there was at least one other storyline).

HaphazardJoy
05-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, THE EYE goes to Brother Voodoo, so it's probably a safe assumption, but we'll see.

I'd rather free Strange from being Sorceror Supreme and then maybe we can have some Doctor Strange stories that involve him off around the world rediscovering his magic instead of playing chauffeur and fighting abstract beings with pretty colors coming from his hands.

Ian Ascher
05-31-2009, 09:58 AM
I haven't been too thrilled w/ this arc either...

Brother Voodoo as the New Sorcerer Supreme? I know there's an issue or two left to go but c'mon, really?

Hap: I think we could still tell the stories you're looking to see without removing Strange from the role of Sorcerer Supreme. They already set it up with him using Dark Magic to fight the Hulk.

Here was a guy who fought tooth and nail to retain his status in the world and in doing so, found enlightenment and became the greatest sorcerer in the world. I fail to believe that just because he used dark magic once he's given up and ready to pass the torch on to someone else.

Eugene Selassie
05-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I expected a lot more out of this story arc. I'm sure there is a lot to come, but seems like a lot of gun play and anti-climatic battles for a story about the search for a new sorcerer supreme.

With this writer's track record on this book, you really expected something different than what you just stated?

ronin7
05-31-2009, 03:07 PM
With this writer's track record on this book, you really expected something different than what you just stated?

His first 30 issues of New Avengers still trump Morrison's rotten Batman run.

Eugene Selassie
05-31-2009, 04:21 PM
His first 30 issues of New Avengers still trump Morrison's rotten Batman run.

And when did you hear me singing praises of that one??? LOL

Morrison's New X-men...A MASTERPIECE. All Star Superman...A WORK OF ART.
His Batman...a good read, but nothing mind blowing.

I went back and read Jinx and Goldfish and Torso AND his DD run and halfway through his Ultimate Spider Man.

Bendis KICKED ASS on ALL of those books.

Can't understand why he can't seem to "get" Avengers and why so many people turn a blind eye to his flaws on that book.

Biofungus
05-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Strange will reclaim the Eye by the end of this arc.

ronin7
05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
And when did you hear me singing praises of that one??? LOL

Morrison's New X-men...A MASTERPIECE. All Star Superman...A WORK OF ART.
His Batman...a good read, but nothing mind blowing.

I went back and read Jinx and Goldfish and Torso AND his DD run and halfway through his Ultimate Spider Man.

Bendis KICKED ASS on ALL of those books.

Can't understand why he can't seem to "get" Avengers and why so many people turn a blind eye to his flaws on that book.

I bet if I asked you a fully detailed explanation of why NEW X-MEN was a masterpiece. You would say, "'Cause Grant Morrison wrote it, nuff said."

Which is just what every Morrison fan says, and they always eventually come around, and admit to me they have never read X-Men before. So, they don't know what he did wrong, nor do most of them end up caring.

However, if Morrison wrote Avengers, shit all over Captain America by turning him into a communist, homosexual pole dancer, and having Iron Man become some kind of cyber-pedophile, and did a likewise freakshow makeover to the rest of the team. You would be calling him every name in the book. So would every other Avengers fan.

Don't bother saying you wouldn't object because your starry eyed love for the Avengers nostalgia tells a different tale.

WilliamStormeSmith
05-31-2009, 06:58 PM
No writer knocks it out of the park every time. Personally I enjoy most of the things done by Bendis, Morrison, and everyone else. Sometimes though you feel like the great idea ain't executed to it's fullest. Plus some stories leave some people in awe because they relate to them, and others don't. Very few "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and "Secret Wars" being made nowadays because they try to do one every 3 months.

The search for the new sorcerer supreme should really be a roller coaster, instead there is no real suspense being built. Maybe it's just me, but the Hood is to new a villain to have all the pressure put on him, Dormannu helps but c'mon. Plus in Remender's Punisher The Hood's having trouble killing the Punisher for Osborn, but worrying Dr. Strange and Hellstorm in Bendis's New Avengers?!? Just a strange juxtaposition , Punisher and Doc Strange. (He's also bringing back the dead in Punisher, since when could he do that!)

Eugene Selassie
05-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I bet if I asked you a fully detailed explanation of why NEW X-MEN was a masterpiece. You would say, "'Cause Grant Morrison wrote it, nuff said."

Which is just what every Morrison fan says, and they always eventually come around, and admit to me they have never read X-Men before. So, they don't know what he did wrong, nor do most of them end up caring.

However, if Morrison wrote Avengers, shit all over Captain America by turning him into a communist, homosexual pole dancer, and having Iron Man become some kind of cyber-pedophile, and did a likewise freakshow makeover to the rest of the team. You would be calling him every name in the book. So would every other Avengers fan.

Don't bother saying you wouldn't object because your starry eyed love for the Avengers nostalgia tells a different tale.

Morrison brought a back to basics approach that the convoluted X-universe has needed honestly since Nicieza/Lobdell were on it.

How you paint me to be a Morrison-zombie when I JUST STATED that I'm not a huge fan of his Batman...or Final Crisis for that matter.

You conveniently cherry pick statements to suit your purposes ronin...BUT STILL DODGE THE QUESTION, WHY DO BENDIS APOLOGISTS TURN A BLIND EYE ON HIS AVENGERS WORK WHEN HE WRITES SUBPAR ISSUES?

I've seen die-hard Bendis fans call him out on some of his work on Powers, the Pulse and Ultimate Spider Man even, but they all make every excuse in the world for his Avengers work.

Callen493
05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
I would love to see Captain America as a gay pole dancer. With nothing on but that shield, hmm, don't get me started.

Ian Ascher
05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
WHY DO BENDIS APOLOGISTS TURN A BLIND EYE ON HIS AVENGERS WORK WHEN HE WRITES SUBPAR ISSUES?

Just for the record:

I have liked Bendis on Avengers/New Avengers since day one.
I do not like his current story arc with Dr. Strange.
I make no apologies for it.

It almost seems as if he doesn't know what to do with the New Avengers book now that the Secret Invasion has run its course. He built that story up for several years and now its done. All three Avengers books could be... should be... one monthly book the way things are playing out. They all seem rushed and drawn out more so than ever before.

That said... I'll still buy New Avengers so long as its entertaining to me... Hell, its been better than the Justice League for years.

Biofungus
05-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Okay kids, start behaving or I'm turning this thread around and we're going home!

Ian Ascher
05-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Bah....

Im not trying to add fuel to the fire but I can see where my post looks like I am... Im just saying that I can enjoy New Avengers w/out liking everything Bendis does.

This Dr. Strange arc is utter dreck.

ronin7
06-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Morrison brought a back to basics approach that the convoluted X-universe has needed honestly since Nicieza/Lobdell were on it.

How you paint me to be a Morrison-zombie when I JUST STATED that I'm not a huge fan of his Batman...or Final Crisis for that matter.

You conveniently cherry pick statements to suit your purposes ronin...BUT STILL DODGE THE QUESTION, WHY DO BENDIS APOLOGISTS TURN A BLIND EYE ON HIS AVENGERS WORK WHEN HE WRITES SUBPAR ISSUES?

I've seen die-hard Bendis fans call him out on some of his work on Powers, the Pulse and Ultimate Spider Man even, but they all make every excuse in the world for his Avengers work.

Back to basics? Turn in your fan card because he did not do a back to basics approach. He gutted twenty-six years of characterization that showed Magneto was not some simple militant terrorist, but a man who had lost everything, and because of that he ended up becoming the same monster that killed his family. But, underneath it all he did hold a slim hope for peace between mutants and humans. Not to mention he has shown he has harbored guilt for what he has done, but he feels he has no choice.

Then he decides that Cyclops has impotence problems, which come out of nowhere, and fly in the face of nearly 3 decades of characterization. And what does he do? He uses Joe Casey's awful run on the book as an excuse to destroy Cyclops character.

Oh, and let's not forget how he trashes Jean Grey by implying she's a gutter slut who wants to throw herself at Wolverine every chance she can get.

Or, how Wolverine doesn't fit with the X-Men because suddenly they are pacifists. Which shows right there Grant Morrison had no idea what he was doing. If the X-Men were pacifists, why did Xavier train them to fight and combat evil mutants?

I'll tell you why. The X-Men were created to police the militant, and volatile evil mutants who threaten the dream that Xavier fought for.

And if you had read my prior posts when I have talked about my feelings on New Avengers instead of cherry picking what I say. You know that I have been dissatisfied with some of the changes Bendis has made in the Avengers. Such as when he turned Hawkeye into a ninja, the death of Ms. Marvel, and the current scope of the X-Universe.

Eugene Selassie
06-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Oh, and let's not forget how he trashes Jean Grey by implying she's a gutter slut who wants to throw herself at Wolverine every chance she can get.

You must not have read the preview for Claremont's X-men forever, huh?

ronin7
06-01-2009, 02:20 PM
You must not have read the preview for Claremont's X-men forever, huh?

Actually, I did, but I long ago realized that Claremont and Byrne make a better pair together on the X-Men book, than either one solo on it.

WilliamStormeSmith
06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Personally i see what you both are saying but your opinions seem to ally more with your personal tastes or previous loyalties. I have read almost every issue of Avengers and Xmen, 1000's of books, and have rarely been dissappointed. The main problem with any popular book is the risk of a story being watered down. Something Bendis and Claremont are more likely to do than Morrison. Grant goes full tilt in new directions, and New Xmen had interesting sub plots and characters, plus it showed the Xmen are very hip modern flexible characters and team.

To that note the Avengers have never been a hip modern flexible team book. Something Bendis has made them. Though I have enjoyed New Avengers, sometimes Bendis's interpretation of a character is 100% different than mine also 100% different on the team dynamic. That doesn't change he has the ability to give a lot of story in a short space. Sometimes he uses tools that are better used in other books. He's awesome with dialogue, Avengers unlike Spiderman doesn't need much dialogue. But it does need action. Just feel he uses the wrong pacing and action style for New Avengers, with Secret Invasion and since. After all I like Dark Avengers, think it's his best super hero work.

Both have redefined the groups completely and what they did has become the modern template, which happens, but it's easy to see why you guys dislike the stories and the changes they created. I enjoy anyone who has a clear vision, and both always do. It's just not always gonna be what I hoped!

Eugene Selassie
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Personally i see what you both are saying but your opinions seem to ally more with your personal tastes or previous loyalties. I have read almost every issue of Avengers and Xmen, 1000's of books, and have rarely been dissappointed. The main problem with any popular book is the risk of a story being watered down. Something Bendis and Claremont are more likely to do than Morrison. Grant goes full tilt in new directions, and New Xmen had interesting sub plots and characters, plus it showed the Xmen are very hip modern flexible characters and team.

To that note the Avengers have never been a hip modern flexible team book. Something Bendis has made them. Though I have enjoyed New Avengers, sometimes Bendis's interpretation of a character is 100% different than mine also 100% different on the team dynamic. That doesn't change he has the ability to give a lot of story in a short space. Sometimes he uses tools that are better used in other books. He's awesome with dialogue, Avengers unlike Spiderman doesn't need much dialogue. But it does need action. Just feel he uses the wrong pacing and action style for New Avengers, with Secret Invasion and since. After all I like Dark Avengers, think it's his best super hero work.

Both have redefined the groups completely and what they did has become the modern template, which happens, but it's easy to see why you guys dislike the stories and the changes they created. I enjoy anyone who has a clear vision, and both always do. It's just not always gonna be what I hoped!

And once again, for the record...I NEVER said Bendis was a bad writer.
:)