PDA

View Full Version : Could it be?

BJCochran
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Anybody read the solicits Marvel just put out? Marvel Spotlight features a cover with Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider and retells some of the clone saga!!!!

If anybody doesnt know Spotlight is sort of like the old Marvel Age comics that would have interviews with creators as well as promoting BIG storylines coming up in the following months.

So could Ben Reilly be back!!!!!

If so I am very very excited. As a big Spidey fan I enjoyed the clone saga. Yeah it ran too long, yeah it had some horrible story arcs along the way. BUT I was a fan of Ben Reilly and this character. So count me in to pick up my first Spider-man comic since the Freak storyline after BND.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

ronin7
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Anybody read the solicits Marvel just put out? Marvel Spotlight features a cover with Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider and retells some of the clone saga!!!!

If anybody doesnt know Spotlight is sort of like the old Marvel Age comics that would have interviews with creators as well as promoting BIG storylines coming up in the following months.

So could Ben Reilly be back!!!!!

If so I am very very excited. As a big Spidey fan I enjoyed the clone saga. Yeah it ran too long, yeah it had some horrible story arcs along the way. BUT I was a fan of Ben Reilly and this character. So count me in to pick up my first Spider-man comic since the Freak storyline after BND.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

IRRC Quesada hated the clone saga, so I doubt Ben is coming back unless some one has written a really good story to change his mind.

BJCochran
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
IRRC Quesada hated the clone saga, so I doubt Ben is coming back unless some one has written a really good story to change his mind.

A lot of people hated the clone saga and it was never going to be mentioned again. But here it it being talking about again through an official Marvel Publication.

I think its a ploy to bring the Spidey comics closer to the way they were previously. Think about it, from some of the interviews with Joe, he said MJ is coming back into the title as a regular as well as some other changes.

Also I've heard Steve Wacker mention Kaine's name multiple times in interviews and not all of the times he's mentioned it is a joke.

So I'm getting my hopes up that this is the return of Ben and Kaine (Eventually)....Spider-cide I can do without

onizuka43
05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Man I own almost all of the Clone Saga and I still barely understand what the hell was going on. Yet Ben Riley was a good character that was killed off because of the fault of the story, than his own problems as a character, and Kaine I have no problem with because he was a big player over in Spider-girl and was handled very well after the Clone Saga. It would be interesting to see how Marvel will handle this after the problems it originally had. That's if they choose too.

Moonrider
05-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Ben Reilly was a conflicted character, interesting enough but nobody really know what to do with him. I think there is a loophole that would enable him to return post-One More Day, since Peter & MJ never get married it's possible that Peter have never even met his clone in this revised continuity.

BJCochran
05-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Well remember he mainly came out of 'Exile' to see Aunt May. It wasnt really MJ he was going to see.

IDk. I'm very interested especially since I was reminded on another comic book forum that Quesada has stated there was one major event in Peter's life that was changed slightly and would be the focus point in a large storyline this year....so again I'm keeping my fingers crossed (Its tough to type with them crossed)

buhe
05-20-2009, 02:50 PM
I always thought that Ben Reilly was being held somewhere by Norman Osborn because he had most of Peter's memories which would have been a valuable resource for Osborn and that the one who dies was another clone which had the degeneration factor, since the Osborn Journal revealed that Ben was one of the stable clones thanks to Osborn's "secret" help in helping the Jackal perfect his cloning process which later his lab assistant stoled important notes which forced the now genetically altered Jackal to "reperfect" his cloning process which he may have found the answer in Doctor Octopus' cure for the Carrion virus which was based on the clone's degeneration factor.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/CMpromobanner.gif
http://www.comicmonsters.com/

Eugene Selassie
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I always thought that Ben Reilly was being held somewhere by Norman Osborn because he had most of Peter's memories which would have been a valuable resource for Osborn and that the one who dies was another clone which had the degeneration factor, since the Osborn Journal revealed that Ben was one of the stable clones thanks to Osborn's "secret" help in helping the Jackal perfect his cloning process which later his lab assistant stoled important notes which forced the now genetically altered Jackal to "reperfect" his cloning process which he may have found the answer in Doctor Octopus' cure for the Carrion virus which was based on the clone's degeneration factor.

Say that three times fast.

Pencils_Tom
06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
BJ,

I am one of those few persons who are interested to see Ben Reilly and the Scarlet Spider returns to the book. Be it his own book, or just part-time ly crossovered :D

BJCochran
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Looks like I'm partly right. I'm as excited as a morman who just experienced sex for the first time and liked it.

Of course that is until the writers make some BS explanation of this Ben Reilly being a distant male cousin to Peter whom he never knew he had. And nothing to do with clones.

Although Kaine would be AWESOME to see!!!!!!

Mwynn
06-12-2009, 02:35 PM
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/06/11/is-the-scarlet-spider-making-his-triumphant-return/

“Who says it’s just one thing?” queries Guggenheim in return. “How about reintroducing a character whose last name is ‘Reilly’? How about the introduction of a new villain who will play a pivotal role in the upcoming series arc, ‘Who Is Ben Reilly?’”

BJCochran
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/06/11/is-the-scarlet-spider-making-his-triumphant-return/

“Who says it’s just one thing?” queries Guggenheim in return. “How about reintroducing a character whose last name is ‘Reilly’? How about the introduction of a new villain who will play a pivotal role in the upcoming series arc, ‘Who Is Ben Reilly?’”

Ok. I have sworn off Spidey for some time now...but I'm going to pick it up just to read this stuff.

Thank you Quesada for making me give up on giving up on Spidey!!!!

Moonrider
06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Ben Reilly is really a Skrull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might as well use that gimmick for every frickin' Marvel character's return. :)

Nitecrawlah2
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I hated Maximum Carnage, but I liked Ben Reilly as a character. Didn't he just go off and live his own life somewhere else? What if he comes back and remembers everything?! I MIGHT read this issue off the rack to see where it goes, don't think I can buy a Spidey title nowadays.

Troy Wall
06-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I hated Maximum Carnage, but I liked Ben Reilly as a character. Didn't he just go off and live his own life somewhere else? What if he comes back and remembers everything?! I MIGHT read this issue off the rack to see where it goes, don't think I can buy a Spidey title nowadays.

Ben Reilly had yet to be introduced during Maximum Carnage.

Reilly died in the conclusion of the 'Revelations' storyline in Spider-Man #75. The infinite cluster fuck that was the clone saga came to a screeching fifty two car pile-up of a halt when Norman Osborn returned from the dead and claimed credit for the entire ordeal. He revealed Reilly to be the clone once and for all, just in time to watch him melt into a pile of jiz as a result of clone degeneration.

Jesus, Mario, get your geek straight. When you come to me, you better come correct! :laugh:

BJCochran
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
SPIDER-MAN: THE CLONE SAGA #1 (of 6)
Written by HOWARD MACKIE & TOM DEFALCO
Penciled by TODD NAUCK
Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
You’ve been asking for it…and now it’s here: THE CLONE SAGA!!! Marvel’s most controversial event of all time returns with a vengeance, presenting the Clone Saga as it was originally intended to be told! From the minds behind the crossover that changed comics forever and the artist that introduced Spider-Man to President Obama, it’s six issues of twists and turns that will shock fans old and new alike! Be here as Peter Parker’s worst nightmare begins again…now with an ending you have to see to believe!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=325596

Oh am I happy. It looks like a retelling of the saga. If anyone remembers the original plan was going to have this story last 6 months and end with Ben and Peter in a warehouse that was burning down. In the end one of them would die and the other would get amnesia and forget if he was Peter or Ben.

I think I got that from Life of Reilly.

But regardless I freaking love this storyline. I know people hated it. But I enjoyed it (Even though it went on way to long). Ben was a kick ass character and Kaine was as well. Ok enough repeat rambling. I'm excited.

Mwynn
06-14-2009, 02:27 PM
You’ve been asking for it…and now it’s here: THE CLONE SAGA!!!

Who has been asking for this?

BJCochran
06-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Who has been asking for this?

Ok so physically only one person -- Me. But if you count all the voices in my head it equals to about 5,000 people.

Nitecrawlah2
06-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Ben Reilly had yet to be introduced during Maximum Carnage.

Reilly died in the conclusion of the 'Revelations' storyline in Spider-Man #75. The infinite cluster fuck that was the clone saga came to a screeching fifty two car pile-up of a halt when Norman Osborn returned from the dead and claimed credit for the entire ordeal. He revealed Reilly to be the clone once and for all, just in time to watch him melt into a pile of jiz as a result of clone degeneration.

Jesus, Mario, get your geek straight. When you come to me, you better come correct! :laugh:
LOL my bad, I MEANT to say Clone Saga, but my friend and I were talking about Maximum Carnage while I was posting this at work yesterday. The last time I read Spidey was around the aftermath of the Clone Saga, where he disappeared with a duffel bag or something. Wow, that Revelations story sounds fucking stupid.

I bring the geek correct foo'!

BJCochran
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
LOL my bad, I MEANT to say Clone Saga, but my friend and I were talking about Maximum Carnage while I was posting this at work yesterday. The last time I read Spidey was around the aftermath of the Clone Saga, where he disappeared with a duffel bag or something. Wow, that Revelations story sounds fucking stupid.

I bring the geek correct foo'!

Revelations was meh. It tried closing all the loose threads and not going to lie if you have been following the clone saga it really had some good moments. I mean to see Peter in the Spidey costume again and after Ben decides to 'bring the bombs to Oscorp'. It was one of those moments for Ben that I call 'Hero Moment'.

Was it a good move to bring back Osborn? Not really. But if you just read the story for what it is you cant help but get caught up in the moment that Osborn reveals himself to Peter. It had that 'blockbuster' feel to it or season finale feel to PP:SM 75. I mean here is a character, that some of us truly love, and to see him try to save his close friends from the Goblin bombs in the Bugle; trying to make it to the hospital to be with MJ who is in labor; and him truly becoming Spidey again...just it had a lot at stake and I really enjoy that aspect of it.

But the other three issues in it were mainly set up which could have been done in one issue. Personally I would have rather had Harry be behind this. Especially after Lifetheft story arc. Harry would have made more sense. Or Alister Smythe. But that last part is wishful thinking

Let the bashing against me begin...