PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi/Horror

khopson
05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I am looking for some good sci-fi graphic novels and/or trades. I also like horror or a combination of the two. Any ideas? Thanks.

BJCochran
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Not to big on the sci-fi stuff but I can help out with horror.

Well any of the Hellblazer ones. Personally I wasnt as big of a fan of Ennis on the series BUT I will praise Mike Carey's run to the end of the world. Diggle's wasnt too bad.

Also to a lesser extent, anything with Steve Niles. Unfortunatly I think he's a tad over-rated since 30 Days of Night or Wake The Dead (Two of his best) but I enjoy Criminal Macabre even though it is a Hellblazer knock off. So I would recommend those to you...personally the first trade is the best.

Hmm other than that. Possessed by Geoff Johns is pretty good, a one and through story, so no need chasing other trades.

Also Locke and Key by Joe Hill. I can not praise Joe Hill enough. Either his prose stories or comic book work is fantastic.

Give me a little while and I'll post some more.

Mark Bertolini
05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Girls by the Luna Bros is a pretty solid sci-fi/horror romp. It's collected fully in 4 trades now.

Obergeist is another, by Dan Jolley and Tony (Ex Machina/Starman) Harris.

Blackgas by Warren Ellis is a somewhat-new take on zombies.

The Walking Dead is always good for a laugh. I mean, a disturbing, horrific story of survival.

Transmetropolitan is one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever read. It has some fairly horrific moments to it as well.

Um, yeah, like BJ, I'll try to post more later.

khopson
05-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I have read a lot of the mainstream stuff (Steve Niles, Walking Dead, etc.) when it comes to horror but I will check out some of the other titles mentioned. I guess I'm looking for books that don't get as much press but are still considered quality reads. Thanks.

BJCochran
05-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Girls by the Luna Bros is a pretty solid sci-fi/horror romp. It's collected fully in 4 trades now.

Obergeist is another, by Dan Jolley and Tony (Ex Machina/Starman) Harris.

Blackgas by Warren Ellis is a somewhat-new take on zombies.

The Walking Dead is always good for a laugh. I mean, a disturbing, horrific story of survival.

Transmetropolitan is one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever read. It has some fairly horrific moments to it as well.

Um, yeah, like BJ, I'll try to post more later.

I forgot all about Transmetropolitan. Great series.

Also by Ellis is which great for sci-fi is Planetary. Even though the last issue is still in hiatus its a great series.

BJCochran
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I have read a lot of the mainstream stuff (Steve Niles, Walking Dead, etc.) when it comes to horror but I will check out some of the other titles mentioned. I guess I'm looking for books that don't get as much press but are still considered quality reads. Thanks.

Pick up Hellblazer than.

Yeah it had a film but it still gets shunned by the mainstream. And if you are looking for a jumping on point just look for Mike Carey's run. This guy can write.

Also another series of his that gets critical acclaim but never ever the fan base it should is Lucifer.

It builds on the story from Sandman where the fallen angel leaves Hell for Earth and the story picks up from there.

Too bad my series isn't released yet I would shamelessly plug my stuff here.

As for Walking Dead. It's a great series. Plain and simple. Going in I was afraid because people kept saying zombies aren't a regular threat...but Kirkman has crafted a really well done series.

Ian Ascher
05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Global Frequency by Warren Ellis. 12 issue series collected into two trades from Wildstorm. Great sci-fi action.

khopson
05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Global Frequency by Warren Ellis. 12 issue series collected into two trades from Wildstorm. Great sci-fi action.

Sounds interesting (based on the Wiki description). Thanks!

Thanks to the other posters as well. I am currently reading Surrogates and picked up GIRLS and Transmetropolitan yesterday. Looking forward to some good reading.

Mark Bertolini
05-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Damn, missed that one. One of, if not the, best Ellis creations.

Alexithymia
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Warren Ellis' "Black Gas"

It's his take on the zombie genre I think, I've never read it but I only heard good things about it. It'd contrast nicely with the walking dead, which is a very excellent series.

hellblazer72
05-15-2009, 04:01 PM
dean motter's terminal city is pretty good, i believe it's been collected in trades..