PDA

View Full Version : trades

xombey
05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
how do you guys decide which trades you'll get. i mean, i've been wanting to get what i think will be available in trades (marvel, dc, image and darkhorse series) but when it comes to some smaller publishers, or foreign ones i don't want to risk not getttint the indvidual comics in anticipation for a trade that never comes out. how do you guys decide what you meust have as it comes out and what to wait up to a year for?

L Jamal
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
With every major but Image, you can practically count on the TPB eventually.
If the small publishers, I get what I want as it comes out and then get the trade when offered and sell or give the singles away.

Right now I think DW books, the upcoming Wed Comics, and Savage Dragon are the only things I'm not getting in TPB or HCs

Mark Bertolini
05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
I buy lots of trades. I don't know, week to week, what is coming out, but like Jamal said, you can count on trades from the big guys on a weekly basis. The smaller companies can be a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to trades, but if you're persistent enough, you can fuind them.

I recently picked up a copy of The Killer by Matz and Luc Jacamon. It was originally a French book that was translated and released by Archaia. Amazing, amazing book that I'd been hunting for a while and finally found.

I love trades. I realize I'm helping kill the monthly market, but I'd rather read a full story in one chunk. In recent years, my trade purchases easily outweight my monthly purchases. I've gone from numerous long boxes to numerous bookshelves to hold them.

BJCochran
05-08-2009, 03:41 AM
I mostly have a usual set of trades I will get whenever they come out mainly because its a title I dont pick up monthly and really enjoy. The Walking Dead, Sword, Hellblazer are a few of them.

But other than that it really depends. Mainly I will read through Newsarama, CBR, and Comicboards for reviews adn see if anything interests me during their original monthly run. Than I will pick up a trade but it takes a while sometimes for me to get interested. For instance Fables and Ex Machina. Both great titles but I just started picking up the trades mainly based on word of mouth about these titles.

So for me its word of mouth.

But I do lurk in my LCS used trade section to find some diamonds in the rough. Usually anything horror related will get a flip through by me. For instance The Possessed by Geoff Johns was down right fantastic.

So in conclusion basically word of mouth and anything dealing with horror

Mark Bertolini
05-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I mostly have a usual set of trades I will get whenever they come out mainly because its a title I dont pick up monthly and really enjoy. The Walking Dead, Sword, Hellblazer are a few of them.

But other than that it really depends. Mainly I will read through Newsarama, CBR, and Comicboards for reviews adn see if anything interests me during their original monthly run. Than I will pick up a trade but it takes a while sometimes for me to get interested. For instance Fables and Ex Machina. Both great titles but I just started picking up the trades mainly based on word of mouth about these titles.

So for me its word of mouth.

But I do lurk in my LCS used trade section to find some diamonds in the rough. Usually anything horror related will get a flip through by me. For instance The Possessed by Geoff Johns was down right fantastic.

So in conclusion basically word of mouth and anything dealing with horror

I've aways wanted to read Possessed, but I'm not a big fan of Johns. Maybe I'll check it out.

BJCochran
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I've aways wanted to read Possessed, but I'm not a big fan of Johns. Maybe I'll check it out.

Its a fun series.

Nothing too deep so dont be expecting a huge moral driven story...just a fun ride.

I have been becoming more of a fan of Johns. I never realized that I read the Avengers back when he was on it (I absolutely loved the Search for She-Hulk storyline he wrote) and have been really digging what I read from him.

The artwork in this mini-series was great.