PDA

View Full Version : Scalped

Mark Bertolini
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I fucking love Scalped. I just picked up vol 4, "The Gravel in Your Guts", and this book just gets better and better. For all of the acclaim Jason Aaron gets for his superhero work, Scalped is lightyears beyond it.

Jamir with an E
04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Cool. Kind of lost track of the series after the second trade as my visits to local Direct market shops were less frequent and the series is always rumored to be on the brink of cancellation. Guess I know what my next two purchases this weekend will be.

Mark Bertolini
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Cool. Kind of lost track of the series after the second trade as my visits to local Direct market shops were less frequent and the series is always rumored to be on the brink of cancellation. Guess I know what my next two purchases this weekend will be.

You won't regret it. Reading this series reminds me of first reading Preacher back in the day. I think it's that good.

BJCochran
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
You won't regret it. Reading this series reminds me of first reading Preacher back in the day. I think it's that good.

Good to know because I was tempted t opick this up. I love Aaron's work on Ghost Rider and Hellblazer. Thanks for the recomend

ponyrl
04-30-2009, 04:04 PM
worst piece of shit I ever read, and told the author that on his blog.

BJCochran
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
worst piece of shit I ever read, and told the author that on his blog.

What didn't you like about it?

robbdaman
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
A friend made me read his copies of this book and I'll admit this is a tough read for me. I like it but not in the same way that I like reading Teen Titans, Walking Dead, The Sword or The Lone Ranger. It's by far one of the grittiest crime dramas I've ever read but a lot of the racial hatred in it makes it hard to swallow all the time. I can't imagine any Native Americans reading the book and enjoying it at all because it makes them look like the scum of the Earth. The book is very creative for sure and for that I am a fan, right now though I guess I just prefer things like Lions, Tigers and Bears or Courtney Crumrin books.

ponyrl
04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
What didn't you like about it?
The fact that if I wanted to read Thunderheart, I go watch the damn thing on cable.

The writer should have tried to research a little more into the dynamics of life on a reservation instead of cookie-cutting what the aready perception natives have in the hollywood view.

Given I live on a reservation, and have had some shit go down that would be close to the criminal elements shown in that book, it would be made more believeable if he'd actually taken the time and research it out.

Mark Bertolini
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
The fact that if I wanted to read Thunderheart, I go watch the damn thing on cable.

The writer should have tried to research a little more into the dynamics of life on a reservation instead of cookie-cutting what the aready perception natives have in the hollywood view.

Given I live on a reservation, and have had some shit go down that would be close to the criminal elements shown in that book, it would be made more believeable if he'd actually taken the time and research it out.

But if you've seen shit go down similar to what he's written, isn't that fairly accurate, research-wsie?

Not trying to be a smart ass, just asking the question.

ponyrl
04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
But if you've seen shit go down similar to what he's written, isn't that fairly accurate, research-wsie?

Not trying to be a smart ass, just asking the question.
Not like that.

One, the feds don't roll like that. they're a little more BLATANT about it, and everyone on the res KNOWS that they operate. Hell, a few DT's with their "dog" were walking up and down my block the other day, some were jogging, others were in an ice cream truck. No caucasians (normally) walk up and down my block, unless you are a fed or a cop. Most drive, buy whatever, and move on. NO one walks.

The whole undercover shit is hollywood, thinking people that live in a pretty closed community wouldn't notice, especially those that are doing the dirt? What goes on is not a big secret. Reading his book was amuzing to say the least.

He didn't write a story that was unique to the native experience. Those characters could have been any race and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Using a western tribe, he told the same old rehash of any hollywood flick you'd see about them. Thunderheart being the top.

What's the saying, lipstick and pig? Applies here. If you're going to writer something, try being more specific to the subject, not a generalization. His story, was just that.

Mark Bertolini
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Not like that.

One, the feds don't roll like that. they're a little more BLATANT about it, and everyone on the res KNOWS that they operate. Hell, a few DT's with their "dog" were walking up and down my block the other day, some were jogging, others were in an ice cream truck. No caucasians (normally) walk up and down my block, unless you are a fed or a cop. Most drive, buy whatever, and move on. NO one walks.

The whole undercover shit is hollywood, thinking people that live in a pretty closed community wouldn't notice, especially those that are doing the dirt? What goes on is not a big secret. Reading his book was amuzing to say the least.

He didn't write a story that was unique to the native experience. Those characters could have been any race and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Using a western tribe, he told the same old rehash of any hollywood flick you'd see about them. Thunderheart being the top.

What's the saying, lipstick and pig? Applies here. If you're going to writer something, try being more specific to the subject, not a generalization. His story, was just that.

Okay, I see what you're saying.

But I still dig it. To each his own, right? I'd still recommend the book for any fan of crime/noir comics.

robbdaman
04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I'd say it was generalized because it's more relatable to the average reader that way. Also I get that you hate his take on the Indian nation and culture, like I said no Native American (or whatever one's preference) would.

ponyrl
05-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Okay, I see what you're saying.

But I still dig it. To each his own, right? I'd still recommend the book for any fan of crime/noir comics.
It's cool.

:)

Just wished he could have stepped outside the norm.

Nick Kerklaan
05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I read the first issue of Scalped in the Vertigo: First Cuts trade, and wasn't at all impressed. I'd be willing to read the first trade if I found it at the library or someone lent it to me or something, but at this point I wouldn't pay money for it.

Speaking of Preacher (sorry to slightly derail topic, but...) I finally read most of the Boys over the last month or so. Now that's a good comic.

Mark Bertolini
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I read the first issue of Scalped in the Vertigo: First Cuts trade, and wasn't at all impressed. I'd be willing to read the first trade if I found it at the library or someone lent it to me or something, but at this point I wouldn't pay money for it.

Speaking of Preacher (sorry to slightly derail topic, but...) I finally read most of the Boys over the last month or so. Now that's a good comic.

Oh yes...The Boys is consistently good, and (surprisingly) actually comes out monthly.

Nick Kerklaan
05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
That's good to hear. I certainly can't rely on Kick-Ass for a monthly dose of ridiculously over-the-top violence and superhero send-up anymore.

robbdaman
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
That's good to hear. I certainly can't rely on Kick-Ass for a monthly dose of ridiculously over-the-top violence and superhero send-up anymore.

Check out Irredeemable from BOOM!, only the first issue is out but so far it's pretty brutal.

Nick Kerklaan
05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Check out Irredeemable from BOOM!, only the first issue is out but so far it's pretty brutal.
Will do, thanks!

BJCochran
05-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Oh yes...The Boys is consistently good, and (surprisingly) actually comes out monthly.

There is a comic that actually comes out monthly???I thought those were extinct