PDA

View Full Version : Are the times a'changin'?

JamieRoberts
04-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Looks to me like Marvel are making an attempt to push anthology format books. Last trip to the shop, I picked up Astonishing Tales (nice work, Nick), Marvel: Your Universe and Giant-Sized Assistant Special. 2 anthologies and a... is compendium the right word? I dunno. Anyway, it reminded me of buying UK comics as a kid, having lots of smaller stories to look forward to each month. It's almost a complete 180 from the decompression that's prevailed in recent years. Anyone like this direction?

pi0trov
04-19-2009, 06:36 AM
I like the idea, as long as the quality stays up on the new material. I was psyched about the return of Marvel Comics Presents, and picked up the first few, but the individual stories were really hit or miss. I dropped it pretty quick, unfortunately, since I felt I wasn't getting my money's worth when I was only enjoying half the content.

I'd still like to see the big 2 start collecting "family" titles (Spidey books, Superman books, Bat books, X-books, etc.) together into larger monthly books, ala the Your Universe title, but I know it's not going to happen....

JamieRoberts
04-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Nah, I can't see that either. There's a new Wolverine magazine out which also collects shorts, I think, and there's Spider-Man Family.

Ian Ascher
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Marvel puts out anthologies from time to time.

Sometimes it's reprint material... sometimes its new. They had Marvel Comics Presents in the late 80s and early 90s which ran for over 100 issues and then again about two years ago, running for 12 issues.

Its a tougher sell now more than ever but every now and again you'll see one so they can try new talent and ideas out and keep third rate characters in the spot light.

MARS
04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Makes complete sense.

Anthologies are the Triple A of Talent breeding.

Shorter stories. Longer deadlines. More time to flex your skill set.

You do them right and could gain the audience of forgotten creators or characters. Win win all around.

M.

galmando
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
picked up you ghost rider book teh otehr day MARS, nice stuff!

Ian Ascher
04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Makes complete sense.

Anthologies are the Triple A of Talent breeding.

Shorter stories. Longer deadlines. More time to flex your skill set.

You do them right and could gain the audience of forgotten creators or characters. Win win all around.

M.

Now if only I could break in writing epic Eel story....

Eugene Selassie
04-22-2009, 01:22 PM

I have a Stingray story that could change the world as we know it.
:har:

MARS
04-22-2009, 03:58 PM
picked up you ghost rider book teh otehr day MARS, nice stuff!

Thank you very much!

M.

MARS
04-22-2009, 03:59 PM

You never know man. You never know.

M.

Ian Ascher
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
You never know man. You never know.

M.

Sadly I do... LOL There's a history behind that Eel story I could tell you someday.

Besides, it would need to be reworked since its no longer relevent after the last few years of Marvel Universe continuity AND Marvel would want to see a pitch from a nobody like me before any of that could happen.

HaphazardJoy
04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a Stingray story that could change the world as we know it.
:har:

Does this somehow involve Steve Irwin?

Eugene Selassie
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Does this somehow involve Steve Irwin?

Don't you watch South Park?

Even SATAN said "Dude...it's too soon."

jayvee
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Anthologies could work on a regular basis if they kept one main anchor character for awhile (like they did with the old MCP and Wolverine), cycle through other top-tier characters for the second feature and then toss in other (not necessarily obscure) stuff for the third and fourth features (but format the book in the same way boxing cards are put together, from least to biggest draw).

I wouldn't even mind Marvel devoting themselves to a black and white anthology book like the Japanese do; this, along with hiring new creators who would work for less-than-market rate, would make a thick, phonebook-sized monthly anthology both economically viable and awesome.

Moonrider
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Anthologies could work on a regular basis if they kept one main anchor character for awhile (like they did with the old MCP and Wolverine), cycle through other top-tier characters for the second feature and then toss in other (not necessarily obscure) stuff for the third and fourth features (but format the book in the same way boxing cards are put together, from least to biggest draw).

I wouldn't even mind Marvel devoting themselves to a black and white anthology book like the Japanese do; this, along with hiring new creators who would work for less-than-market rate, would make a thick, phonebook-sized monthly anthology both economically viable and awesome.

In Indonesia, several Marvel Essentials have been published as black & white anthologies in manga sized format. And Marvel is doing what you said with their Marvel Manga (eh, I think that's what it's called) line. Phonebook sized stories with new creators working for a less than market rate. Can't say I'm excited about the art style, though. Girl manga style applied to the X-Men. Yecchhh....