PDA

View Full Version : Wizard buys Big Apple Con

BJCochran
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Well that's it. Wizard is trying to purge the market by having another convention. This time buying the Big Apple Con, which I thought was a decent event.

But personally with New York Comic Con starting next fall who cares?

Has anyone else not had a good time at the Wizard stuff? I went to Philly a few times and wasn't impressed. Especially wtih the one year Boston Wizard Con.

Gonzogoose
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Wizard World Chicago 2008 was the first and biggest con I have ever gone to so far, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. But I had a good time and got to do some networking.

It's obvious Wizard is trying to steal the thunder from NYCC's move to October next year by doing their first one this year in October. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Baltimore is going to be dead, though, if both Wizard and NYCC remain in October next year, sadly.

L Jamal
04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Baltimore is going to be dead, though, if both Wizard and NYCC remain in October next year, sadly.

As long as Diamond is in Baltimore, then the Baltimore ComicCon will fine. There's retail summit after the con every year which is the reason that lots of retailers come to Boston. Although, Boston is traditionally in September and not October.

I think NYC needs to be in mid Spring while it's getting warmer and not the fall when it's getting colder. Leave the fall conventions in the south.

Gonzogoose
04-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Well, Baltimore's in October this year, and true, Diamond is there and retailers are there, but I'd gather that the big publishers will do NYCC and now possibly Big Apple. We'll see.

robbdaman
04-09-2009, 02:16 AM
It's not a smart move to compete with another convention for the same time of year. It's a great formula for "failure to make profit" to do so.

BJCochran
04-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Didn't Wizard do this with a convention in Atlanta two or three years ago? Put it on the same weekend or what not. I'll have to search the archives of Newsarama or something

Nick Pitarra
04-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Yes they did. They backed down after a big uproar from the creator community.

BJCochran
04-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Yes they did. They backed down after a big uproar from the creator community.

K...wasnt sure if I remembered correctly...glad to know I'm not getting CRS yet.

CRS- Cant remember shit

Nick Pitarra
04-09-2009, 04:45 AM
LOL. I'm stealing that one. I know megacon and another con have been on the same weekend for a while now too. I really don't get why the convention circuit can't just play nice.

Gonzogoose
04-09-2009, 05:04 AM
If there are two shows on opposite sides of the country on the same dates I don't mind that so much as it gives options. But if they're in close proximity, yeah, they definitely need to play nice.

(Nick, thanks for the plug in your sig!)

Nitecrawlah2
04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Wizard World Chicago 2008 was the first and biggest con I have ever gone to so far, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. But I had a good time and got to do some networking.

It's obvious Wizard is trying to steal the thunder from NYCC's move to October next year by doing their first one this year in October. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Isn't the Pittsburgh Comic-Con being moved to the fall this year as well? Baltimore's grown after every year I've gone, so I hope the trend continues. Just seems weird that we'll have 3 cons within a 2-3 week span of one another.

L Jamal
04-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Pittsburgh move was due to the convention center not being finished in April. They will move back to April in 2010.

The previous Wizard outcry was because they planned to schedule a con in Atlanta which is less than 6 hours from Heroes (in Charlotte) for the same weekend as Heroes. Very dumb move which produced a Heroes Con with lots of guests that normally wouldn't be there. It was a great year for Heroes.

I would suspect a similar outcry against Wizard if the conflict with Baltimore continues. Baltimore and heroes have very similar vibes and very loyal guests.

crozonia
04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
There's no way Big Apple and NYCC will both be in October 2010.

Nitecrawlah2
04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Pittsburgh is September 11-13th, so I'm guessing Baltimore moved it to October 10-11th because of it. Mid Ohio is October 3-4th, and Big Apple is October 16-18th.

L Jamal
04-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Pittsburgh is September 11-13th, so I'm guessing Baltimore moved it to October 10-11th because of it. Mid Ohio is October 3-4th, and Big Apple is October 16-18th.
Pittsburgh was scheduled to be in April until January this year. Baltimore was already scheduled for October before then. So the scenario you concocted can not be true. What most likely happened is that once Pittsburgh discovered they convention center would not be available in April, they were given a number of dates and Sept was the best fit for them.