PDA

View Full Version : Co-Features

Ian Ascher
04-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Two more have been announced.

Captain Atom will be a co-feature in Action Comics written by James Robinson and Greg Rucka. They want to bring him back and make him a very solid part of the DCU again.

Black Canary becomes a co-feature in Green Arrow. It's being said this is the most fluid of all the co-features because Black Canary could have 10 pages one month, 14 pages the next, and then share the whole book with Green Arrow the third month because of the nature of the book and characters.

I know there's been some debate over The Question co-feature in the back of Detective Comics but what about the others. Does anyone see the good in this move at DC by giving people an extra 10 pages when they raise the price of the book?

Mwynn
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes, to Captain Atom.

Paul Sanderson
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Sounds good so far.

BKMDog
04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I like the idea of the back-up story or "co-feature" - always did. I grew up with comics that had more than one character / story in their pages, so I'm glad to see it back. I always dug the old Marvel split books, from way back in the day: Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish, when they featured Cap and Iron Man and The Hulk and Sub-Mariner respectively.

Ian Ascher
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't go that far back but I remember the Dr Fate and Firestorm back ups in the Flash and some of my Marvel books haveing two or three tales per issue (probably reprints at the time but still new to me).

Have to admit Im curious as to what might be done with Captain Atom since the last time we saw him he was Monarch and he blew up. I know for a while when he would "overload' or "explode" he would be tossed around the time stream and then was eventualy tossed into another universe (Wildstorm).

I always thought he and Firestorm are quite possibly the two most powerful people in the DCU. To my knowledge, they never did figure out where the alien metal that bonded to his skin and gave him his powers came from either.

Lots of story potential... BUT...

I really don't see myself buying Action Comics just for the back up.

onizuka43
04-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I like the idea... so far, it could be nice to give different characters and creators a chance to tell a story that wouldn't have much strength on their own. Blue Beetle, while has a group of fans, didn't have much drawing power within his own book, but could easily do better in this condensed format and gain readers that wouldn't normally read his book. In the end though time will tell if it works out or not, and that really depends on the quality of the stories that DC is making us pay extra for.

Nitecrawlah2
04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I like The Question as a backup to Detective Comics. Can't say I'm too excited about any others, as Black Canary should have just been already integrated in the Green Arrow ongoing series as a main/supporting character.

Mwynn
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't go that far back but I remember the Dr Fate and Firestorm back ups in the Flash and some of my Marvel books haveing two or three tales per issue (probably reprints at the time but still new to me).

Have to admit Im curious as to what might be done with Captain Atom since the last time we saw him he was Monarch and he blew up. I know for a while when he would "overload' or "explode" he would be tossed around the time stream and then was eventualy tossed into another universe (Wildstorm).

I always thought he and Firestorm are quite possibly the two most powerful people in the DCU. To my knowledge, they never did figure out where the alien metal that bonded to his skin and gave him his powers came from either.

Lots of story potential... BUT...

I really don't see myself buying Action Comics just for the back up.
Wasn't it revealed that the metal came from some Alien that Project Atom dissected.

Saul Haber
04-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I like the idea of a back-up story, but only when both stories are good. Otherwise you get stuck with the awkward situation of not knowing whether to buy the book because you hate a third of it. That's what it was like for me when I started buying Countdown to Adventure (? I think that's what it was called- with the Adam Strange/Animal Man/Starfire story that came on the heels of 52). I liked the main story (for the first couple of issues) but the back-up was this horrendous "Forerunner" story (I had to look up the character's name because she was SO forgettable). I stopped buying it because I couldn't stand putting down money when I could only stomach two thirds of the book. (It turns out that was a really good decision because it helped me get out of Countdown relatively unscathed, wallet-wise.)

richlovatt
04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm a fan of Captain Atom, so I'm looking forward to having him back in the DCU - assuming they can get rid of all that Monarch crap from Countdown.

I think it's a good way to justify the price increase on certain books - especially if they're books that need some extra revenue. It's also a pretty cool way to keep some characters, like Blue Beetle and Manhunter, in circulation.

Now if they want to do an untold tales of Hitman back-up, that's be just about perfect...