PDA

View Full Version : New Avengers #51 - SPOILERS

Ian Ascher
03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Im really surprised Troy didn't go bat-shit over this one yet....

Inside, Spiderman tells the New Avengers he's really Peter Parker in order to stay on the team. Not sure what to make of it given the whole nature of One More Day/Brand New Day.

I suppose its no big deal because people in the hero community knew Pete was Spiderman before he gave up his secret to the world at Tony's request.

How does anyone else take this turn of events?

Eugene Selassie
03-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Inside, Spiderman tells the New Avengers he's really Peter Parker in order to stay on the team. Not sure what to make of it given the whole nature of One More Day/Brand New Day.

I suppose its no big deal because people in the hero community knew Pete was Spiderman before he gave up his secret to the world at Tony's request.

I think there's four sets of continuity in the Marvel U.

616 continuity (Nova, Immortal Iron Fist, Daredevil, MI:13, X-books, etc...)

BND

the Bendisverse

the wacky mind of Millar.

I am actually surprised when something actually synchs up.

Mwynn
03-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Have you seen the preview Amazing Spidey 590 http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=26942

Deadfish07
03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking that due to the rules of Marvel magic... whatever they may be, once Spidey puts his mask back on, they all forget that he unmasked.

At least that how this hocus pocus seems to be working. So far Norman thinks Peter is just Spider-man's patsy, with Spidey taking the pictures himself and having Peter sell them. And female Kraven thinking Peter's roommate is Spider-man, even though Parker is pulling off crazy evasion moves. No one can figure out Pete and Spidey are one in the same, no matter how obvious it is.

Mark Bertolini
03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I think the whole BND thing was stupid to begin with. Pete unmasked during Civil War, there would have been a whole gamut of stories they could have run with based on that, but it looks like they got scared and went with the BND story.

I think it's a good idea for him to unmask to his teammates. Spidey needs some people to trust him for who he is.

onizuka43
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
It's either unmasking in front of everyone or having wolverine visiting him during work. :laugh: Though so far Spider-man has just felt like the comic of missed opportunities, now it just feels like writers trying to take their hand at Stan Lee era fanfic and invent a new villain of the week.

Troy Wall
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah, it was ridiculous. But that's how it's gonna feel when you have Peter unmasking himself like it's this great big deal when just a dozen issues ago everyone on the team knew who he was.

I prefer to kinda pretend the lunacy involved in OMD didn't happen and enjoy the comics. And I think Marvel's best bet, if they want to make this new continuity stick forever as they suggest, is to ignore the fuck outta OMD, never mention it again and just keep trucking. Readers who want explanations, elaborations on points such as what it was exactly that Mary Jane whispered in Mephisto's ear before the deal was sealed...they have to stop hounding the powers that be for this mess, 'cause I guarantee you getting these so-called "answers" isn't going to make any more sense outta OMD.

If I were in charge, and I were the one who pulled the trigger on OMD, my policy would be to never speak of it or have anything brought up inside any Marvel comic ever again. Just keep running and distance ourselves as far away from it as possible. I wouldn't have had everyone in the Marvel universe forget Peter is Spider-Man, like Norman and the New Avengers. Know why? Because then you have to remind readers you pulled that funky-ass shit in the first place with comics like New Avengers #51!

Never speak of it.

Because ultimately, if Marvel keeps playing with it, and Spider-Man editor Stephen Wacker & Co. have and do continue to hint they will reveal "answers" related to OMD, it will be the undoing of OMD. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. After all, 100% of the stories post-OMD could have been done with MJ still in the comic as Peter's wife. Well, I guess Harry wouldn't be back, but I dunno...that issue where Slott explained his return in was hairy, no pun intended, and I forget the details. I think it ended up having nothing to do with OMD?

But the point is--don't explain yourself, Marvel. Because you can't explain it. It's impossible to explain. It was the most obscene blowing of the retcon whistle in the history of comics. More gratuitous than Superboy Prime's mega-retcon punch reviving fuckin' Jason Todd.

Mark my word's...the continuing acknowledgement that OMD happened will be its undoing. It will be the reason Peter wakes up from his lucid dream like Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky and jumps off a building. Because by acknowledging it, even in the slightest instances like in New Avengers #51, readers are reminded again and again what a cop-out it was. And those readers include the angry fanboys that would step over their dead grandmother to have the old continuity back. And they FEED on any moment that attempts to expalin OMD, because they know that keeping it in conversation improves the odds of Marvel attempting to explain it away until finally, FINALLY--it is undone.

Not that I'm one of those fanboys or anything.

:)

Troy Wall
03-30-2009, 08:14 PM
From todays LiTG column by Rich Johnston:

SPIDER-MAN REVEALS HIS IDENTITY – AGAIN

During the controversial “One More Day” series, Spider-Man made a deal with the demonic Mephisto to return Aunt May from the dead and to make sure that everyone in the world forgot who Spider-Man really was.

In the latest issue of “New Avengers” however, Spider-Man has at least let his teammates in on the secret. Including Jessica Jones who, it seems, went to the same school as the young Peter Parker until, as Spider-Man so politely puts it, she became “Coma Girl.”

When Spider-Man first revealed his identity to the world, it was covered by the news media at great length. This time however, it’s had slightly less impact. As in, no one seems to have noticed yet. I guess there are only so many times you can cry wolf.

Ian Ascher
03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Have you seen the preview Amazing Spidey 590 http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=26942

NICE!

So the Fantastic Four and an entire sub-universe know Peter Parker is Spiderman now too.

Mark Bertolini
03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Honestly, with all this OMD/BND stuff, I'm completely uninterested in anything they do with Spider-Man now. I have a feeling this whole debacle will go down in history next to the Clone saga.

BJCochran
03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
So does this mean Peter is going to make another deal with Mephisto? Maybe this time he can mindwipe himself so he cant remember to tell anyone his identity

Ian Ascher
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I guess Dan Slott says next Wed he explaines everything in reguards to Peter's Secret Identity in the pages of Spider-man. The 100% this is how it works answer.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/040910-Weekly-Webbing.html

robbdaman
04-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Honestly, with all this OMD/BND stuff, I'm completely uninterested in anything they do with Spider-Man now. I have a feeling this whole debacle will go down in history next to the Clone saga.

I'm with you on this one. I can't even read Amazing Spider-Man as it is, it's like reading leftover rejected stories from the 70's. Good stories FAIL.

JamieRoberts
04-11-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm fine with it. I agree with Troy that Marvel's best bet is to kinda forget OMD happened, but I don't see Peter's unmasking as acknowledgement of that storyline. If anything, it's a natural plot point (in New Avengers, at least) that needed to be dealt with one way or the other, but it would have stood out even more so if they had just ignored the issue of Spidey's identity because of OMD.

They were fairly screwed on this one from the start. Fans who hated OMD will now have an issue with anything regarding the identity or Mary Jane, so regardless of how carefully Marvel tread around it, when those topics are addressed, a good portion of readers are gonna hate it.

Then again, I only read it in the shop. Not paying $3.99.