PDA

View Full Version : Johns or Bendis?

BJCochran
03-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Figuring I hate writers block and its 3 am (Only time I get towork on my comic) I thought I would post this question to stir up some conversation.

Who is the stronger writer in your opinions, Geoff Johns or Bendis?

Mike225
03-30-2009, 04:29 AM
Johns.

kdmelrose
03-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Is there are third option?

ronin7
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Bendis.

Mark Bertolini
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Bendis, based on Alias and Daredevil alone. Nothing Johns has written can compare.

onizuka43
03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Johns is the better traditional comic book writer. Green Lantern, The Flash and JSA shows he knows how to do a monthly title very well and keep it entertaining.

Bendis does the Noir style comics though incredible well, Daredevil, Alias, and Powers are something that Johns hasn't shown he can do yet. Also when Bendis is given control over something like Ultimate Spider-man he does really well too.

Though for both I hope they avoid the big event comics in the near future because it doesn't serve either of their writing styles very well. House of M, and Secret Invasion didn't really display Bendis' strengths, such as when he is dealing with a stronger central character.

Johns fared a bit better on Infinite Crisis, though it suffered from the same problems without a strong central character. Something I think he found out because Sinestro Corps story was more a epic story without many flaws because he told his portion just through the eyes of Hal Jordan, and allowed Dave Gibbons to tell the more of the story through Green Lantern Corps. something I hope he continues with the Black Lantern event coming up.

As for who I feel is better, I am going to cop out and say I like each for their own reasons. I like John's on Green Lantern and am hoping for the best for Flash Rebirth, and I enjoy Bendis' work on Ultimate Spider-man, New Avengers and his work on Daredevil. So I didn't answer your question at all... sorry. :rolleyes:

Eugene Selassie
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Johns.

He knows how to handle large casts well, he can write different character voices and different age groups and most importantly he has range...his Flash didn't read like his Teen Titans, which didn't read like his Action Comics, which didn't read like his JSA, which didn't read like his Green Lantern.

Eugene Selassie
03-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Bendis, based on Alias and Daredevil alone. Nothing Johns has written can compare.

I beg to differ good sir. Go back and read Stars & STRIPE.

ronin7
03-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I beg to differ good sir. Go back and read Stars & STRIPE.

Stars and Stripe against Alias, Daredevil, Powers, The Pulse, Jinx, Torso, Aka Goldfish, Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, and the restoration of Spider-Woman.

You really want to put Johns accomplishments up against what Bendis has done? Because he will lose.

Jamir with an E
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
As Onizuka pointed out very eloquently their styles are somewhat different stylistically speaking. I'm a fan of both gentlemen (Johns when it comes to good ole' super hero action - Bendis when I want something with that hard hitting noir edge}. That said, the one thing that Johns seems to have a leg up on Bendis on {if you're into continuity} is his "Moore-esque" ability to weave past and present continuity into a cohesive whole {see what he did with the Hawk Man/Woman saga, Green Lantern as examples) by seeing where things can fit instead of discarding it. He also seems to be a bit more comfortable handling that delicate mix of action and character building as far as pacing is concerned when it comes to group books. I still think that if Johns and Bendis were to ever team up to write a "big event" story with no editorial interference (the same way that David Goyer and James Robinson (?) teamed to write JSA exploits a number of years back) it would be something special. Besides the upcoming Black Lantern Saga, though, I'm on a "Big Event" light diet for the next few years (and I mean it this time... I think lol ... )

ronin7
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Moore-esque? You mean how Johns completely side stepped the whole Hawkman mess by creating a brand new Carter Hall with a similar history, but new wrinkles? Because that is what he did.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to insult Johns. He has moments of pure quality in terms of story telling, but often enough he burns himself out, and his work suffers for it.

Bendis on the other hand seems more focused on his creator owned work lately, which is why his Marvel work is kind of lacking a bit; but, nonetheless he turns in a great hardboiled Marvel yarn each month.

Paul Sanderson
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Johns IMO.

Eugene Selassie
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I just don't dig how there are no nuances to each of Bendis' character dialogue. You don't notice it in books where his cast is small, but in NA it gets nauseating.

His tossing in the trash of characters HE PERSONALLY doesn't like (Vision, Scarlet Witch, Tigra, Hank Pym, Alpha Flight, mutants in general) as well as force feeding his "homeboy's" recent creations down our throats (the Sentry, the Hood, Ellis Thunderbolts) gets real old.

His fast and loose thing with continuity has started a very bad trend...read one trade and by the next trade the writer will have already blatantly undone, disputed or made the previous tpb null and void.

Bendis is a good writer when he does his homework...Daredevil was a testament to it. But when he doesn't...(Speedball and Purple Man in Alias, His entire Avengers run) it leaves a sickening aftertaste.

I think he just has more negatives than positives.

quantum1019
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Johns by far.

Ian Ascher
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Push....

Both of them have taken the characters available to them from their respective companies and told amazing stories from personal, single issue tales to mega-epic, multi-cast events.

I buy a lot of books from both writers and I like a bulk of what I buy. I've also bought some books from both writers I haven't enjoyed at all.

Saul Haber
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree mostly with Onizuka43. They both do very different things, so it's hard to compare. I think Johns has less misses than Bendis does. He's more consistent. I've enjoyed a lot of Bendis written stuff, but I think a lot of it has sucked hard (SI). I can't really say the same for Johns.
The bottom line for me is that I'd much rather read a Johns book than a Bendis book, but not necessarily because Bendis isn't a good writer- it's just my preference of their styles.

Mark Bertolini
03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
See, I do like both writers. I think they both have their merits. I highly enjoyed Johns' Green Lantern and Flash, but I don't think either of those series (and I haven't read Stars and STRIPE) can compare to the majesty that was Alias. Not even counting his DD run, Alias was one of the best, most grown-up comics of the past 10 years, and I stand by that statement. Johns is good for old fashioned slam-bang superheroics, but for more adult fare, I have to give Bendis the nod. Maybe it's just the 30-year old in me, but that's what I look for in a comic.

Nitecrawlah2
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Love 'em both. My favorite titles over the last ten years were Daredevil and JSA (w/David S. Goyer), and both writers are usually worth my money at the shop. This should be a poll thread though, if only to force everyone (well, me) to choose one Highlander style.

Mike225
03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
he turns in a great hardboiled Marvel yarn each month.Which kinda sucks, cause he writes more than one Marvel book each month.

Nick Kerklaan
03-31-2009, 03:42 AM
Bendis is a good writer when he does his homework...Daredevil was a testament to it. But when he doesn't...(Speedball and Purple Man in Alias, His entire Avengers run) it leaves a sickening aftertaste.

This is what pisses me off about comics fandom. Who gives a shit if his characterization of Purple Man and Speedball (who no one except the biggest Marvel geek would even possibly care about) wasn't "in line with canon"? Whether it was or not, I have no idea, but the fact that this is the aspect of Alias that left you with a "sickening aftertaste" when Alias is the best fucking Marvel book I have ever read is absolutely ludicrous. Why can't a story just be a story on its own merit? "Oh but the way he did the characters isn't in line with continuity waaaaaaaa".

This is the only medium where regardless of how good something actually is, people will shit themselves and have tantrums if the writer doesn't do the exact same thing as everyone else when it comes to the characters. Guess that's the pitfall of working in a shared universe, but Jesus Christ. Grow some perspective, people.

Eugene Selassie
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Ok, I'll be sure when I get in at Marvel to have Jessica Jones turn into a lesbian mankiller, have Luke Cage act as aloof as Jason Biggs in American Pie, I'll make the Hood become the Prime Minister of England and Maria Hill be crowned the new Queen of Wakanda.

Because continuity doesn't matter and all those things make COMPLETE sense....

:yawn:

Eugene Selassie
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
And really, brushing my opinion aside because YOU think its "the best fucking Marvel book YOU have ever read"?

I'm using examples from the book...you're using "those characters are lame to me so it doesn't matter".

You're entire argument is dripping with weak sauce.

Lovecraft13
03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I never got onto the Bendis bandwagon. But I think Johns has incredible vision.

Phatman
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
They're both okay in my book.

Nick Kerklaan
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Ok, I'll be sure when I get in at Marvel to have Jessica Jones turn into a lesbian mankiller, have Luke Cage act as aloof as Jason Biggs in American Pie, I'll make the Hood become the Prime Minister of England and Maria Hill be crowned the new Queen of Wakanda.

Because continuity doesn't matter and all those things make COMPLETE sense....

:yawn:
Continuity doesn't matter. Not more than engaging characters, tight plotting, and great dialogue. I'm not brushing aside your opinion because of how good I think the book is, I'm brushing it aside because you clearly need to get your fucking priorities straight.

Eugene Selassie
04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Continuity doesn't matter. Not more than engaging characters, tight plotting, and great dialogue. I'm not brushing aside your opinion because of how good I think the book is, I'm brushing it aside because you clearly need to get your fucking priorities straight.

Continuity isn't the be all end all, but you can't come on a book and violate it six ways from Sunday either. There has to be a balance or middle ground.

Between that and his character assassinations...

I just don't see how you guys don't see it.

Or is it that easy to put blinders on when the character isn't Spider Man, Wolverine or Luke Cage?

BIGROD
04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Love em both and think they're two of the best in the biz when on top of their games. I'd have to go with Johns though.

(Kids, please note the difference between "they're" and "their" and each's usage? Sorry, huge pet peeve of mine that I run across all too often on message boards. Faux paux usually committed mostly by self-proclaimed "writers")

Nick Kerklaan
04-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Or is it that easy to put blinders on when the character isn't Spider Man, Wolverine or Luke Cage?

I know next to nothing about all of those characters, nor do I particularly like any of them aside from the odd appearance here and there.

Not really sure what you're trying to get at.

Nick Kerklaan
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
(Kids, please note the difference between "they're" and "their" and each's usage? Sorry, huge pet peeve of mine that I run across all too often on message boards. Faux paux usually committed mostly by self-proclaimed "writers")

Uh... who is this directed to? I'm not sure I see that mistake in this thread at all.

Eugene Selassie
04-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Uh... who is this directed to? I'm not sure I see that mistake in this thread at all.

I have to agree. If I did, my apologies, but I don't see any spelling errors.

Nitecrawlah2
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Their just pressed they're thread used both words properly.

Drew
05-19-2009, 05:22 AM
I'm gonna have to go bendis. While i agree that johns is a real good superhero tradionalist. I like bendis's fresh takes to characters and i've always been a fan of his dialogue. He's just more interesting to read IMO. Though i love both, i go bendis. Plus, i love crime noir, and he is real good with crime noir.

Drew