PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous wolvie healing

galmando
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm curious, what are the most ridiculous things wolvie has healed from in his convoluted past?

taking into account speed of recovery and what not.

it seems that the speediness of his healing factor are very much dependent upon the writer/story, in a similar vein to Batmans Plot armour.

for me, it was during Civil War when he is all but incinerated and then regenerates from a few cells that remain.

it's not just the fact that he regenrates from nothing, its that he also manages to grow perfectly within the leftover shell of his adamantium skeleton, and manages to retain his personality memories and thoughts considering his brain was frazzled away (Assuming personality and the mind is all in the brain)

it's also the speed of it. before Nitro can get back in his car he up and behind him. i just thought that were daft, i read a stry once where he were fighting that chap with the blades for hands, he has a few bruises and proclaims 'probably the worst i beed beaten' - oh if he only knew the rough days he had ahead. even in that story he didnt heal at all, he just whined like a bitch

any other ridiculous Wolverine healing moments?

hardinart
03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Uncanny X-Men annual #11 he regenerates from a single drop of blood. Including his adamantium skeleton and claws (this was when the claws were implanted an not part of his mutant power). Deal.

ponyrl
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
didn't you know, wolverine is the bastard son of apocalypes & the queen mary?

:huh:

Nitecrawlah2
03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
In the Punisher: Conferderacy of Dunces storyline, I believe Frank incinerates him down to the bone, blows his nuts off, and then runs him over a steamroller or something. Classically ridiculous stuff. My favorite "Wolvie regeneration" moment was in Astonishing X-Men, where he tells Armor to give him an hour or so to regenerate his face after burning it off while falling and burning through the Breakworld atmosphere. It gives a grim reality (in comics, I know) to just how gruesome his regernerations can be, depending on the writers of course.

galmando
03-26-2009, 07:26 PM
In the Punisher: Conferderacy of Dunces storyline, I believe Frank incinerates him down to the bone, blows his nuts off, and then runs him over a steamroller or something. Classically ridiculous stuff. My favorite "Wolvie regeneration" moment was in Astonishing X-Men, where he tells Armor to give him an hour or so to regenerate his face after burning it off while falling and burning through the Breakworld atmosphere. It gives a grim reality (in comics, I know) to just how gruesome his regernerations can be, depending on the writers of course.

yeah, i prefer the long regenerations, doesnt make the idea so glamorous then

ronin7
03-26-2009, 07:55 PM
The thing is Claremont and Byrne's ret-con made it where the enhanced senses were not Wolverine's primary power. The healing factor is. Look at the Hulk who has survived nukes to the face, and absorbed the radiation to reconstitute himself. Just like old jade jaws, Wolverine is a byproduct of genetics that thrive on radiation. So, it's not that far fetched that he would be extremely difficult to kill.

If a writer really wants to end Wolverine permanently, go for the brain with a three pronged assault. Psionics, magic, and/or total decapitation will put him out of everyone's misery.

galmando
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
yeah, apparently charles xavier says that decapitition would do it. but whats the difference between removin the head from the brain and totally incinerating it.

either way it aint attatched anymore right?

so i guess it begs the question, in his prime currently, can wolverine really be killed?

Deadfish07
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Wolverine can be killed with the Muramasa sword, which cancels out his healing factor. Same sword he used to kill Sabretooth. Currently, Wolvie's boy Daken is looking to get his hands on the sword so he can bond the metal to his own claws.

Logan gave the sword to Cyclops for safe keeping.

galmando
03-26-2009, 09:14 PM
oh yeah, forgot about that

Biofungus
03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
The regeneration can get out of hand, but I think so many writers fail to remember, regeneration does not equal no pain.

Even if he regenerates, the shear shock of a lot of his injuries should knock him out for a bit. Actually, he should feel less pain from incineration (burned off nerves, et al), but even with his resilience he should be going through a lot more than, "Ow! You blew my face off!" when the likes of the Punisher actually blows his face off.

galmando
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
plus the fact that every injury he sustains would hurt like it were the first time he felt that pain, i'm tlakin little cuts and bruises which some may build a resiliance to the pain, but if he constantly heals then that pain will be fresh everytime!

owch

Mike225
03-26-2009, 10:39 PM
plus the fact that every injury he sustains would hurt like it were the first time he felt that pain, i'm tlakin little cuts and bruises which some may build a resiliance to the pain, but if he constantly heals then that pain will be fresh everytime!

owchI remember reading that he feels it every time his claws pop, which I always thought was cool. Now he's almost god-like. Eh.

Moonrider
03-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Wolverine can be killed with the Muramasa sword, which cancels out his healing factor. Same sword he used to kill Sabretooth. Currently, Wolvie's boy Daken is looking to get his hands on the sword so he can bond the metal to his own claws.

Logan gave the sword to Cyclops for safe keeping.

And how exactly do the Muramasa sword cancel out his healing factor? Magic!

:huh:

ronin7
03-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Heh, I guess magic is the operative word. How else would the sword have any effect on his healing factor.

And am I the only one who thinks Daken is an idiot for wanting to bond the metal to his claws? It would cancel out his healing powers, and make him a prime slab of beef that any one could take out.

ronin7
03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
The regeneration can get out of hand, but I think so many writers fail to remember, regeneration does not equal no pain.

Even if he regenerates, the shear shock of a lot of his injuries should knock him out for a bit. Actually, he should feel less pain from incineration (burned off nerves, et al), but even with his resilience he should be going through a lot more than, "Ow! You blew my face off!" when the likes of the Punisher actually blows his face off.

He'd feel pain, but his body's reaction would be to pump endorphins into his system to kill the pain. Then a dose of adrenaline to keep him going.

Moonrider
03-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Heh, I guess magic is the operative word. How else would the sword have any effect on his healing factor.

And am I the only one who thinks Daken is an idiot for wanting to bond the metal to his claws? It would cancel out his healing powers, and make him a prime slab of beef that any one could take out.

At the very least, it will make his hands ripped to shreds the moment he pop out his claws and will not heal. So yeah, boneheaded is the word to describe him.

And another thing, he also would need a blacksmith with magical knowhow to even able to bond the metal without losing its properties.

Mike225
03-27-2009, 04:07 AM
At the very least, it will make his hands ripped to shreds the moment he pop out his claws and will not heal. So yeah, boneheaded is the word to describe him.

And another thing, he also would need a blacksmith with magical knowhow to even able to bond the metal without losing its properties.Seriously, guys, look at the gene pool he emerged from.

When was the last time Wolverine outsmarted someone?

Moonrider
03-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Let's see...once Wolvie tricked Mr. Fixit Hulk into a plane trip around the equator going always towards daylight, forcing him to turn into Banner longer than a day much to his dismay.

I blame the current writers for Daken's idiocy, not the gene pool.

Mike225
03-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Wasn't that the late 80's?

ronin7
03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Logan also tricked the Hulk into taking out the mob he was hired to work for in Madripoor during PAD's short run on the Wolverine solo series. Of course, when Fixit realized he had been had, he knocked Logan senseless.

Mike225
03-27-2009, 05:27 PM
So, we can agree that Logan has not outsmarted someone in this century?

Eugene Selassie
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Seriously, guys, look at the gene pool he emerged from.

When was the last time Wolverine outsmarted someone?

Each and every month when fans buy every single book he appears in.

That would only be forgivable if he was written by Jason Aaron or Warren Ellis in all of those books.

:har:

quantum1019
03-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Drop him in the middle of the ocean, as far from land as possible. I doubt if he could swim indefinately without getting too exhausted and drowning. Can you heal from that?

buhe
03-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Drop him in the middle of the ocean, as far from land as possible. I doubt if he could swim indefinately without getting too exhausted and drowning. Can you heal from that?

Though his healing factor does neutralize fatigue producing poisons and repair any damage to the muscles, so he would last a lot longer then a normal human and I think Sabertooth was in the same predicament once and there is the floating breaks.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/CMpromobanner.gif
http://www.comicmonsters.com/

HaphazardJoy
03-29-2009, 08:29 AM
As is always my argument when it comes to near-immortal characters (notably Hulk): just toss him into the sun. No getting out of that on your own, and if Hulk's body and Wolvie's adamantium can withstand the heat, pressure, and gravital forces of the inside of a star, well, fuckit.

ronin7
03-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Well considering Morrison had Wolverine heal from being thrown into the sun with Jean...

Eugene Selassie
03-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Well considering Morrison had Wolverine heal from being thrown into the sun with Jean...

But flew into the sun in a ship...he wasn't tossed.

:har:

Mike225
03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
And it's not like he lingered in the sun or anything. They were getting close and Phoenix got him away from it. If I remember correctly, I mean.

HaphazardJoy
03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, exactly. That's one thing, he still had flesh and he was taken out of the environment, a stretch, but I can buy that. Toss him into the sun without any protection, also meaning that it'd take pretty powerful intervention to then remove him from that situation, and I'd say he's out of commission. It'd only take some shithead editor/writer team suggesting that someone finds a way to teleport or pull him out and that he could regenerate from being plasma at that point.

galmando
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah, exactly. That's one thing, he still had flesh and he was taken out of the environment, a stretch, but I can buy that. Toss him into the sun without any protection, also meaning that it'd take pretty powerful intervention to then remove him from that situation, and I'd say he's out of commission. It'd only take some shithead editor/writer team suggesting that someone finds a way to teleport or pull him out and that he could regenerate from being plasma at that point.

i thik you're right on this one. someone how i think he would be instantly vapourised, i doubt the adamantium woul withstand the heat of the sun, no matter how they would wanna write it.

i can but it with the hulk because the idea is that his skin gets stronger and stronger, so it would be passable that he would survive a while in the sun.

have a mean tan. actually, wolvie and hulk wouldnt be able to catch tans would they? isnt it a mutation of the cells which wouldnt happen for long if you healed quickly? ugh, Logans pale!!

HaphazardJoy
03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Well, more than the "can they tan" issue, I think the issue with regeneration as Wolvie and Deadpool have it would be a major issue for cancer. The body can't fight off cancer in the traditional ways, and if the regenerative properties of their cells remained intact, you'd have a cancerous growth that would expand exponentially.

As far as the Hulk though, unless they establish him as a cosmic entity, there has to be SOME limitation to his power.

galmando
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
not sure about that, the ways hulks power has worked out means that he is nearly invincible. he adapts to the situation or environment he is in, Sentry isnt cosmic is he? i'm sure he can survive near/in the sun? dont know about that to be honest though, maybe someone else does?

personally i would imagin the Hulk to be stronger than Sentry, if his power and strength increases as he gets angrier or receives greater damage, then may not have an upper limit, whereas the Sentry does as he doesnt operate this way.

like the agrument of who would win, Supes or Hulk, Hulk would IMO.

Logan would frazzle. also, with such fast regeneration, does that mean a being like that would generate muscle faster?

Eugene Selassie
03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=galmando]

like the agrument of who would win, Supes or Hulk, Hulk would IMO.

[QUOTE]

I think this has always depended on the situation.

If its a random bump into eachother turning to a confrontation, I think Hulk would win.

If its a "if you lose your world and everyone you love will perish" type confrontation, Superman would win.

Biofungus
03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Marvel has stated (I know several places, but the only one I can remember off hand is a set of marvel cards that came out in the 90's that had power ratings/descriptions. They weren't game cards I don't think) that Hulk's strength could exceed "cosmic" levels (or basically the minimum that would qualify for cosmic in the Marvel U), but that it was basically classified as "immeasurable". (His max strength. His minimum was Class 100, the highest non-cosmic rated strength level in the MU).