PDA

View Full Version : Kirkman's Destroyer...?

Mark Bertolini
03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Does anyone have any info about this series? I read something about it a while back, something about a book being written by Robert Kirkman about an old Marvel hero who learns he's dying (or something to that effect), and decides to kill off his whole rogues gallery (again, or something like that).

Little help?

Mark Bertolini
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Ha!I knew I wasn't crazy! This came out yesterday, and what a bloody book is was. Fantastic art by Cory Walker, it was kind of like Invincible, but waaay more violent. The only thing I don't get? Destroyer has a mask that looks like a Skrull face.

Nitecrawlah2
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Links? I can't remember a hero named Destroyer, thought this was referring to the invincible Destroyer armor in Asgard.

robbdaman
04-02-2009, 02:55 PM
This was Kirkman's last Marvel work. There is some info about it on Kirkman's Image forum and a preview here and there.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2307&disp=table

BIGROD
04-02-2009, 03:03 PM
The Destroyer was a golden age hero that fought alongside Cap and The Invaders.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/d/destroyertimely.jpg

Nitecrawlah2
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys. That shit looks crazy! I'll be picking this up at the shop this weekend.

Mark Bertolini
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys. That shit looks crazy! I'll be picking this up at the shop this weekend.

It was really good. Kirkman's always impressive, but this was over the top.

onizuka43
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
It was really good. Kirkman's always impressive, but this was over the top.

I didn't find it over the top at all, heads exploding, and dozens of gallons of blood are nothing. :rolleyes:

It was a fun read though, and it's always great to see Cory Walkers work. I will totally be picking up the rest of the series when it comes out.

robbdaman
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM
They should have kept the ugly striped pants. :laugh: Man Golden age hero costumes look stupid sometimes.

Critters Daddy
04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I thought Kirkman had sworn off Marvel...

robbdaman
04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I thought Kirkman had sworn off Marvel...

He did, this was the last thing he did for them, it's been sitting on the shelf for a bit.

Nitecrawlah2
04-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I remember him saying just that at the Baltimore Comic-Con this year at the Bendis/Kirkman battle royale panel. I just feel they stuck him on the wrong projects (Captain America, Ultimate X-Men. etc), and almost as a fill-in type of writer at the end of the other writers' long runs. They should have given him the reins to a mainstram title that would have better suited his talents. Kirkman on Luke Cage would have been awesome I'm sure.

Mark Bertolini
04-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I remember him saying just that at the Baltimore Comic-Con this year at the Bendis/Kirkman battle royale panel. I just feel they stuck him on the wrong projects (Captain America, Ultimate X-Men. etc), and almost as a fill-in type of writer at the end of the other writers' long runs. They should have given him the reins to a mainstram title that would have better suited his talents. Kirkman on Luke Cage would have been awesome I'm sure.

Agreed.

Or Spider-Man. Couldn't have done much worse than the current roster.

Moonrider
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Kirkman on Spidey would have been a blessing.

ronin7
04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I'll pass. Kirkman is like a Busiek/Johns-lite.

Eugene Selassie
04-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I'll pass. Kirkman is like a Busiek/Johns-lite.

Wow...gone for 2 weeks and Busiek-bashing continues.

Like I never left...J/K

I agree...Kirkman wasn't right for Cap, Ultimate X-men, etc...

I would love to see what he would've done with the FF, Young Avengers or New Warriors.

Nitecrawlah2
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I picked this up this weekend. Great setup, definitely gory, and a neat little "send off" story for both Destroyer and Kirkman. It reminds me of his Brit character/series, though only enough to see the similarities but still enjoy this story. The last few pages were classic.