PDA

View Full Version : Question about The Flash

BJCochran
03-24-2009, 03:13 AM
I really don't want this to become a Barry vs Wally thread but I have a question for you guys.

I used to read The Flash off and on during the Barry days (Thanks in large part to me being introduced to him by the TV series) but dropped it to collect Spidey and the Hulk comics out at that time (I think Spidey had 1,678 titles monthly...jk).

But anyways can anyone suggest any good Flash trades for me to pick up to get back into the character? I have heard some of Waid's stuff was good and John's stuff is great...but what do you guys suggest?

Eugene Selassie
03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
ALL of the Geoff Johns trades! :har:

onizuka43
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Return of Barry Allen and Terminal Velocity are my two favorites. Return of Barry Allen in fact is one of the first comic arcs that I even read and still one of the biggest reasons that comics had the impact on me that they had when I started reading.

Moonrider
03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Return of Barry Allen? Is The Flash: Rebirth even out yet? Which storyline was that?

onizuka43
03-26-2009, 03:10 AM
The return of Barry Allen was one of Mark Waid's early stories on the Flash in the 90's, It starts at christmas when it appears that Barry Allen has returned right to the door of Wally's house. Over the course of the story Wally doubts that he deserves the mantle of the flash because he isn't as fast, dumber, and not the hero he feels that Barry is. It's one of the stories that finally proved to a lot of people that Wally West of the right person to take up the title of the Flash.

Moonrider
03-26-2009, 03:52 AM
I might have to find that story, sounds interesting.

Nitecrawlah2
03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
The return of Barry Allen was one of Mark Waid's early stories on the Flash in the 90's, It starts at christmas when it appears that Barry Allen has returned right to the door of Wally's house. Over the course of the story Wally doubts that he deserves the mantle of the flash because he isn't as fast, dumber, and not the hero he feels that Barry is. It's one of the stories that finally proved to a lot of people that Wally West of the right person to take up the title of the Flash.
Wasn't this the one that introduced Professor Zoom as the Barry Allen imposter? Loved the Mark Waid run, collect all of it if you can. Also, like Eugene said, nab any and all of the Geoff Johns' run on the title. He worked wonders with that title/character.

onizuka43
03-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Wasn't this the one that introduced Professor Zoom as the Barry Allen imposter? Loved the Mark Waid run, collect all of it if you can. Also, like Eugene said, nab any and all of the Geoff Johns' run on the title. He worked wonders with that title/character.

Yeah, I thought it was one of the coolest reveals ever. Everything that Mark Waid did to set up Wally was the Flash is totally why I still think that bring back Barry is a bad idea.

BJCochran
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I did pick up Return of Barry Allen today. Wasnt quite sure where to start with the Johns stuff (they only had his later stuff).

ronin7
03-27-2009, 12:02 AM
The Waid run is a must. He had Brian Augustyn as his editor, and that was some of the best work he put out.

I don't know about the Geoff Johns run, never read it myself.

Jeffbot
03-27-2009, 12:25 AM
It's hard to go wrong with the early Waid stuff for any of Johns's run. I would normally have some specific suggestions when it comes to a title, but the Flash enjoyed a lot of great storytelling from these two writers.