PDA

View Full Version : Andy Diggle writes Daredevil beginning with issue #501

Troy Wall
03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
In just a few short months, Andy Diggle (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=92159514&blogId=477933594) takes over the writing chores from Ed Brubaker on Daredevil. Andy's first issue is #501 (the book returns to original numbering with #500, Brubaker's last issue.)

Speaking of returns to original numbering, I noticed that Captain America also returns to its original numbering with this year's #601 (Vol. 2 #51).

Nitecrawlah2
03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm tired of that shit. Leave the volumes and numbers alone! With regards to the title, I'm sad to see Brubaker go, but he was the perfect writer to transition from Bendis' reign of awesomeness.

Troy Wall
03-23-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm tired of that shit. Leave the volumes and numbers alone! With regards to the title, I'm sad to see Brubaker go, but he was the perfect writer to transition from Bendis' reign of awesomeness.

As good as Brubaker's run has been, and it has been GREAT...it still doesn't hold a candle to what BMB and Maleev done on that book. I consider it BMB's finest comic book writing to date. I mean, brotha, I'm a FAN of that run. :laugh:

Brubaker's "The Devil on Cell Block D" storyline was awesome and the following arc that sent him to Europe with an ultimate confrontation with a dying Vanessa Fisk was inspired. After that, I wasn't big on the "Without Fear" storyline with Mr. Fear, though there are scenes from that story that stick with me to this day. Namely, the end scene where Mr. Fear is in prison but completely fucking owns the place and everybody in it because of those pheremones he engineers. It ended with him fucking the female guard with a shit-eating grin on his face. :thumbs:

I didn't like the Lady Bullseye story. It was the first arc by Bru that made me have to power through some of the issues out of disinterest. Dragged a bit, I think. And the old drunken master bit wore thin on the quick tip.

Return of the King looks like it's gonna be killer. The first issue that featured only the Kingpin was amongst the best Bru has written on the title. Badass, page-turning stuff.

All said and done, I like Brubaker's DD enough to throw a Benjamin down for his omnibus collection this summer so that I can re-read it easily. That's the mark of a good run--when you get my cheap arse to re-purchase it in over-sized hardcover format.

ronin7
03-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Having read almost the entire first trade of Brubaker's run, I'm already more impressed with his handling of the character then Bendis. I'm hoping once I get the whole collection of Bru's run it will make a satisfying read.

galmando
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
what i love about daredevil is that this comic is one of best books out there at the moment IMO and Marvel seems to overlook it, what i mean by that is they reveal the character identity for instacne, but there's no major overhaul to sweep it under the rug

yeah, Murdock tried to cover it up, but there are some people in the Marvel U who still think he is Daredevil, it's so damn brilliantly real. and i'm glad it's kept for this long.

it goes to show you can reveal an important characters identity and not need to 'forget' it happened. you can write stories about it!!

pi0trov
03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I especially liked how they used Danny to keep the book out of the whole Civil War crossover-palooza, while still having "Daredevil" show up. It's like they let the book exist in a little corner of the Marvel universe that no one else is allowed to mess with.

I guess I wasn't as impressed by the Lady Bullseye arc as the rest of Brubaker's run, but I can see that it was mostly just setting up something bigger, and I'm really looking forward to Fisk's return, especially after that last issue (DD and KP teaming up vs. The Hand...? :) ).

I've enjoyed Diggle's recent work on Hellblazer (my other favorite book besides DD), so I'm not worried.

Eugene Selassie
03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I was sold on Andy Diggle way back on his Adam Strange mini-series Planet Heist. He hasn't disappointed me yet.

Troy Wall
03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I never thought about it, but you guys are absolutely right. DD is never tampered with or thrown in the cross-over dog pile. Makes me realize that's one of the reasons the book is so awesome to me. I don't think of the book as cheap because no one has blown the magical retcon whistle to erase something editorial regretted/didn't like.

Well, Elektra was resurrected after Miller killed her, but you get the idea. There's no hardcore, down right insulting retcon action in DD like you find in 99% of other super hero books. *Cough* Spider-Man *Cough*

Mark Bertolini
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm cool with Diggle taking over writing chores. I've been enjoying his Thunderbolts run, and The Losers is one of my favorite books ever. But I am kinda sad to see Bru leaving, kind of the same way I was when Bendis left.

Was there any mention of art chores?

Nitecrawlah2
03-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I never thought about it, but you guys are absolutely right. DD is never tampered with or thrown in the cross-over dog pile. Makes me realize that's one of the reasons the book is so awesome to me. I don't think of the book as cheap because no one has blown the magical retcon whistle to erase something editorial regretted/didn't like.

Well, Elektra was resurrected after Miller killed her, but you get the idea. There's no hardcore, down right insulting retcon action in DD like you find in 99% of other super hero books. *Cough* Spider-Man *Cough*
Word life, kid. I've always enjoyed Daredevil for that reason, even with the classic Frank Miller run(s) that got me hooked in the first place. I agree with you on Bendis, I was only suggesting that Brubaker did a fantastic job taking over the title from such a heavy hitting run like Bendis'. Any other writer would have choked hard or done some stupid "I'm gonna take the character THIS far to mark my own stamp on him", but Ed gave it his flavor without fucking the book up. I'm with you on Lady Bullseye, I just didn't think the character was necessary, but he still did his thing.

Troy Wall
03-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Was there any mention of art chores?

Not to my knowledge, but the announcement has to be coming soon considering that Diggle's run begins this fall, of which the first issue will hit during the summer months because of how ahead of the curve Marvel ships their books.

I'm really curious.

Mike225
03-24-2009, 12:38 AM
And I guess there's no word on where Brubaker's going?

hellblazer72
03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
brubaker has a big mini series coming up with steve epting on art..