03-22-2009, 02:37 PM
http://i.livescience.com/images/ASM598_COV_col.jpg

Things got weird, didn't they, momma?

galmando
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Menace has an Outie

BJCochran
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
So glad I dropped this title during New Ways to Die. To quote Wizard during the clone saga...'ugh'

Eugene Selassie
03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
So glad I dropped this title during New Ways to Die. To quote Wizard during the clone saga...'ugh'

What a coincidence...that's when I stopped reading. LOL

I think 7 or 8 months to give this book a chance was MORE than generous.

ronin7
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I knew ASM would eventually lose it's flavor with this three times a month deal. I wish they would snatch Brubaker, or Brian K. Vaughn for ASM.

Eugene Selassie
03-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Although, If I'm being impatient, or if you feel I'm not giving it a fair shake, please let me know.

BJCochran
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Yeah I hear you there about the generous aspect. I had high hopes back when it was first announced (Before we actually read One More Day) but it fell by the way side.

It just felt like a big mess. Too many 'mysteries' going on and no reveals to name one of the big problems in my eyes.

It's a shame because Slott is one of my favorite writers and maybe in time I will go back and read all the issues I missed but its just 'ugh'.

I mean I love the ideas. Freak seemed like a decent villian and idea, same with Anti-Venom and Menace. But...ugh again

Paul Sanderson
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
The whole Spider-Man universe has been a mess since Joe Q. infected it with his crass stupidity!

BJCochran
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
The whole Spider-Man universe has been a mess since Joe Q. infected it with his crass stupidity!

Yeah it has been. I used to blame Howard Mackie for getting burnt out with writing Spider-man but its really his fault.

When was the last time Spidey was actually enjoyable to you guys? Personally, for me, it was during the robot parents era. Maximum Carnage, Lifetheft, Shrieking were some of the stories at that time. Than again I also enjoyed the begining of the clone saga and am one of the few who liked Ben Reilly.

I want to say the reboot wasnt bad...but lets just say it was horrible. I hated Mattie Franklin and Norman was such a scapegoat character for everything Spidey it felt like.

Some parts of JMS I enjoyed like the first Morlun story, the gamma gangster arc, the Doc Ock stuff, to name a few but I wasnt quite fond of the rest. And Jenkins had some good stuff here and there.

So whats your opinions?

ronin7
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
For the most part I liked bits and piece of the 90's Spider-Man, and JMS' run was enjoyable up until Sins Past. But, I haven't read Sins Past yet, so I can't judge it until I do.

Eugene Selassie
03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
For the most part I liked bits and piece of the 90's Spider-Man, and JMS' run was enjoyable up until Sins Past. But, I haven't read Sins Past yet, so I can't judge it until I do.

It seems like when JRjr left halfway into JMS' run and when ASM got absorbed into the EVENT every 8 months cycle, it went downhill.
The first half of JMS' run is THE ONLY time I've ever ENJOYED reading Spider Man on a monthly basis...this includes USM.

Troy Wall
03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah it has been. I used to blame Howard Mackie for getting burnt out with writing Spider-man but its really his fault.

When was the last time Spidey was actually enjoyable to you guys? Personally, for me, it was during the robot parents era. Maximum Carnage, Lifetheft, Shrieking were some of the stories at that time. Than again I also enjoyed the begining of the clone saga and am one of the few who liked Ben Reilly.

I want to say the reboot wasnt bad...but lets just say it was horrible. I hated Mattie Franklin and Norman was such a scapegoat character for everything Spidey it felt like.

Some parts of JMS I enjoyed like the first Morlun story, the gamma gangster arc, the Doc Ock stuff, to name a few but I wasnt quite fond of the rest. And Jenkins had some good stuff here and there.

So whats your opinions?

Pretty much the same for me. The last era of stories I remember enjoying completely included The Child Within, Beware the Rage of a Desperate Man, Lifetheft, Maximum Carnage, Revenge of the Sinister Six, etc. That era also included some nice specials like the second issue of Spider-Man Unlimited that detailed the tortured childhood of Dr. Octopus.

I think the majority of fans all dug the beginning of the clone saga. Scarlet Spider was awesome to my 12-year-old self...for a few months. It didn't take long for even a young mind to catch on to the fact that the people producing my favorite hero's books had dug themselves into a hole and had no idea where to go. I was like 14 when Norman was reintroduced as the master mind behind the clone saga and it pissed me off big time how that cheapened his classic demise.

I've never been able to take Norman seriously since his return in Spider-Man #75, just like I've never been able to take Aunt May seriously since it was revealed Norman hired an actress to fake her death. :laugh: The writer of ASM #400 so wrote that issue believing it was truly the death of Aunt May. And it was a damned good story, too.

The Mackie reboot era I 95% passed on because the book actually managed to be less interesting than the clone saga.

JMS' Amazing was largely boring to me. Not horrendous, just a flat-out snooze fest. The issues he lent to his protege cronies were the lowest points aside from Sins Past.

I still read Amazing and have picked up every issue post-OMD. The first arc with Mr. Negative by Slott and McNiven was probably the best so far in my opinion. Gale's issues have been the worst with Guggenheim's a close second. Joe Kelly and Mark Waid's material has been entertaining, as was Slott's Paperdoll arc. New Ways to Die didn't impress me despite its wide-spread popularity. Anti-Venom is a fag.

Mark Bertolini
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I just picked up the ASM "Crime and Punisher" tpb, kind of on a whim, and it's fucking terrible. I like Paul Jenkins, but his writing here sucks. I like Chris Bachalo, but his art here sucks. Just an all-round shitty trade that I wish I could get my money back for.

Won't be reading any more Spider-Man in the future.

HaphazardJoy
03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Mary Jane is Menace, and she' pregnant with Jackpot's baby, who is revealed to be a man!

Yeah, I dropped this one a while ago, blah.

BJCochran
03-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Pretty much the same for me. The last era of stories I remember enjoying completely included The Child Within, Beware the Rage of a Desperate Man, Lifetheft, Maximum Carnage, Revenge of the Sinister Six, etc. That era also included some nice specials like the second issue of Spider-Man Unlimited that detailed the tortured childhood of Dr. Octopus.

I think the majority of fans all dug the beginning of the clone saga. Scarlet Spider was awesome to my 12-year-old self...for a few months. It didn't take long for even a young mind to catch on to the fact that the people producing my favorite hero's books had dug themselves into a hole and had no idea where to go. I was like 14 when Norman was reintroduced as the master mind behind the clone saga and it pissed me off big time how that cheapened his classic demise.

I've never been able to take Norman seriously since his return in Spider-Man #75, just like I've never been able to take Aunt May seriously since it was revealed Norman hired an actress to fake her death. :laugh: The writer of ASM #400 so wrote that issue believing it was truly the death of Aunt May. And it was a damned good story, too.

The Mackie reboot era I 95% passed on because the book actually managed to be less interesting than the clone saga.

JMS' Amazing was largely boring to me. Not horrendous, just a flat-out snooze fest. The issues he lent to his protege cronies were the lowest points aside from Sins Past.

I still read Amazing and have picked up every issue post-OMD. The first arc with Mr. Negative by Slott and McNiven was probably the best so far in my opinion. Gale's issues have been the worst with Guggenheim's a close second. Joe Kelly and Mark Waid's material has been entertaining, as was Slott's Paperdoll arc. New Ways to Die didn't impress me despite its wide-spread popularity. Anti-Venom is a fag.

I cant forgot to mention Child Within story arc...One of my favorite Spidey tales not just because it is THE BEST Harry Osborn story but because of the Vermin.

But yeah JMS did have a snoozing effect at times mainly because of how long it took him to set up the story. But the ones I liked had really strong endings even if it took him 14 issues to get to it.

Troy Wall
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I'll say this about JMS: His work on Thor rocks my face off every month.

BJCochran
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll say this about JMS: His work on Thor rocks my face off every month.

Oh dont get me wrong JMS is a great writer BUT he wasnt really suited for Spider-man. Thus probably the reason why he tried making the title and character more mystical than anything else.

Paul Sanderson
03-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I like JMS' other work too, but his Spidey blew chunks.

Eugene Selassie
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Whoa, hold up a f'n minute!!!

JMS did throw me off at times with some of his choices of villains and tweaking the origin...

But his character stuff was PURE GOLD.

JMS handled Peter/MJ and Peter/Aunt May BETTER THAN ANYONE writing the book over the last 15 years and ANYONE who has written it since BND.

The teaching job was brilliant. Aunt May should've finally discovered the secret ANYWAY. MJ was written as a compelling love interest, not a whiny bitch...

You people must be reading a different JMS Amazing Spider Man.

Like I said...JMS is the only person to make me like the oft times whiny bitch known as Peter Parker.
I like my characters to actually grow, evolve and mature.

Not to be stuck in the same spot, eternally written to make the same dumb mistakes over and over.

ronin7
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't know why everyone is dumping on JMS. The whole mystical aspect was lie. Spider-Man's evolved powers came from the radioactive istope he injected into himself in the Morlun story. The only reason Morlun hunted him I suspect is because his mutation made his dna read enough like Ezekiel's that he could pass for the mystic totem.

Everything from Sins Past, and onwards was editorial dictated.

Eugene Selassie
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't know why everyone is dumping on JMS. The whole mystical aspect was lie. Spider-Man's evolved powers came from the radioactive istope he injected into himself in the Morlun story. The only reason Morlun hunted him I suspect is because his mutation made his dna read enough like Ezekiel's that he could pass for the mystic totem.

And of all people, you've got ME...DEFENDING a creator. LOL

BJCochran
03-26-2009, 12:25 AM

Actually I'm probably one of the few that enjoyed Sins Past. It was a nice dynamic for Gwen IMO.

And as for bashing JMS...I never once said he was a bad writer and he does know how to write characters (Probably one of the best writers out there) so thats not my gripe. I just think Spidey wasn't a good fit for him regardless of sales (Hey Bruce Jones and Jeph Loeb have both worked wonders on the Hulk in terms of sales).

He did a great Aunt May, especially with the reveal of Peter's alter ego...but to me whenever I read it, it ruins the touch and effect that ASM 400 had which is arguably in my top ten Spidey stories of all time (Even though she was an actress).

It just seemed he had the Bendis touch on the title...dragging out stories for 6-7 issues with talking heads and than a killer finale. Maybe as a TPB that can work but at the time I was getting the title monthly and just felt like a big let down.

So its not bashing per-se...more just stating my opinion that he seemed to be a better fit for another character like Dr. Strange (Did his mini-series on this character ever come out???)

Mike225
03-26-2009, 01:24 AM
more just stating my opinion that he seemed to be a better fit for another character like Dr. Strange (Did his mini-series on this character ever come out???)Two things: there's no such thing as more than one question mark and his Dr. Strange mini did come out. One more thing, it was pretty bland.

Troy Wall
03-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Two things: there's no such thing as more than one question mark

Tell that to Brian Bendis, who taught me that there WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Mike225
03-26-2009, 04:22 PM
:yuk: