PDA

View Full Version : So the _______ Avengers explanations....

Steven Sykora
03-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Ok, I tried explaining this to someone earlier and I botched it all up, but basically this is how the Avengers world looks.

Dark Avengers
This team was created and is led by Norman Osborn. Osborne has basically taken over Stark Industries and has also created H.A.M.M.E.R. which has replaced S.H.I.E.L.D..

Roster
Iron Patriot - Norman Osborne's amalgam of Captain America and Iron Man.
Spider-Man Double - Venom takes a pill that makes him look like a black suited Spider-Man.
Hawkeye Double - This is Bullseye dressed up like Hawkeye.
Wolverine - This is Wolverine's son dressed up like Wolverine.
Ms. Marvel - This is Moonstone dressed up like Ms. Marvel.

Mighty Avengers
This "team" is really just some of the older characters trying to salvage the Avengers name and fight the good fight. There is no real "roster" so to speak, but here's how it breaks down.

Hercules - Trying to unite the Avengers with the aid of Amadeus Cho and Jarvis, and seemingly active member of this Avengers team.
Hank Pym - Really just kind of messed up in the head it seems. I think he took his x-wife's death pretty hard. But he's sort of involved with the team when he's not taking care of the android he made in his x-wife's image (Jocasta).
Amadeus Cho - a genius child prodigy who is helping the Avengers track down this "chaos cascade".
Vision - Dating Stature and seemingly active member of this Avengers team.
Stature - She's uhhh... well she can grow really big and her name is Cassie... and seemingly active member of this Avengers team.
Scarlet Witch - Well now, who the heck knows what she's up to, but I think in her own mysterious way she's trying to unite the Avengers against the evil sorcreor Modred and his Dark Lord who is currently inhabiting Quicksilver's body. (Quicksilver is stuck in a book, believe it or not)
US Agent - Well at first he wanted to bring in Hercules and Amadeus Cho as fugitives of the US Government but he seems to have calmed down after Hercules put him in his place and is now (at least for the time being) helping the Avengers.
Iron Man - Using some of his old armor to be Iron Man, and looks like he's at least helping these Avengers against Modred if not joining the team.
Hulk - Wanda brought him to fight Iron Man for some reason. He's kind of just the dumb hulk loose cannon, and I don't think you could really call him a member of the team.

New Avengers
This team is led by Captain America (Bucky Barnes). They want to kick Osborn's butt, but they seem to be having some trouble in that department.

Roster
Captain America (Bucky)
Luke Cage
Ms. Marvel
Spider-Man
Ronin (Clint Barton)
Wolverine
Spider-Woman (at least she's helping them if not on the team)
Iron Fist - is hanging out with them because his buddy Luke Cage is there... not sure if he's really a member or not.

Ok.... did I miss anything?

the_beast
03-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Ares And Sentry Are Also Members Of The Dark Avengers

Personally I Think Osborn's Avengers Should Be Called The Mighty Avengers Since They Have The Powerhouses And That Captain America's Team Should Be Called The Dark Avengers Since They Are The "Underground" Team

quantum1019
03-20-2009, 08:35 PM
The last issue of New Avengers makes it look like Clint Barton is stepping up to be more the team's leader than fake Cap is.

Mike225
03-20-2009, 08:49 PM
You forgot to rationalize why I would want to buy a book with fake Spider-Man, Wolverine and Hawkeye in it when there's a book with Spider-Man, Wolverine and Hawkeye in it.

buhe
03-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Stature can also shrink while retaining her normal size strength.

Ian Ascher
03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
The last issue of New Avengers makes it look like Clint Barton is stepping up to be more the team's leader than fake Cap is.

Remember..... in an issue of New Avengers, Dr. Strange used a spell to show everyone their true, inner-selves and Clint wanted to be Captain America. Tony gave him that chance but he turned it down because he didn't believe in Tony's rules.

The dynamic between Clint and Bucky given the past dynamic between Clint and Steve could be a hell of a story line.

buhe
03-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Bucky isn't fake Cap because we know Steve would have been honored that Bucky kept the legend going.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/CMpromobanner.gif
http://www.comicmonsters.com/

Ian Ascher
03-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Bucky isn't fake Cap because we know Steve would have been honored that Bucky kept the legend going.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/CMpromobanner.gif
http://www.comicmonsters.com/

Steve even left a letter for Tony telling him to make sure Bucky got the shield if he ever died. Steve wanted Bucky to be Cap if it came down to it. You can even see Brubaker hinted at it very early on in his run now that we know how things went down.

Deadfish07
03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
You forgot to rationalize why I would want to buy a book with fake Spider-Man, Wolverine and Hawkeye in it when there's a book with Spider-Man, Wolverine and Hawkeye in it.

Because Venom, Daken and Bullseye are more interesting pretending to be heroes than Spider-man, Wolverine and Hawkeye are at actually being heroes.

Dark Avengers is all about the action, while New Avengers is all about the whining that the DA is getting action. Heh, NA is that loser guy that complains about the douchebag guy (DA) who is nailing all the girls that won't even talk to him.

Troy Wall
03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
New Avengers is all about the whining that the DA is getting action. Heh, NA is that loser guy that complains about the douchebag guy (DA) who is nailing all the girls that won't even talk to him.

Truth.

Mike225
03-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Because Venom, Daken and Bullseye are more interesting pretending to be heroes than Spider-man, Wolverine and Hawkeye are at actually being heroes.

Dark Avengers is all about the action, while New Avengers is all about the whining that the DA is getting action. Heh, NA is that loser guy that complains about the douchebag guy (DA) who is nailing all the girls that won't even talk to him.I'm sure the concept has its fans. From my standpoint, it won't be interesting unless it's a short-term deal. Their exposure should happen and could be the most interesting aspect of the book, I think.

Nitecrawlah2
03-22-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm sure the concept has its fans. From my standpoint, it won't be interesting unless it's a short-term deal. Their exposure should happen be the most interesting aspect of the book, I think.
I think these versions would be more interesting than their real counterparts. I do think this will really work only short term, only because I think Norman's eventually going to go batshit nuts and villainous again.

Eugene Selassie
03-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I wish I could get behind the concept, I really do.

But I read this already 11 years ago.

It was the first year of Thunderbolts.

Troy Wall
03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
This series is awesome because even though it's an ongoing, you know it can't last forever. Not only is Norman a ticking time bomb, the Dark Reign era itself has to eventually end and a new status quo be introduced (which you know Marvel already has fleshed out and ready to put in place, with an announcement probably prepped for SDCC.) For that to happen Norman's Illuminaughty has to be discovered and disbanded.

I think Dark Reign is a fun ride. But it all has to end sooner than later.

Lovecraft13
03-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Dark Avengers is a cool book.

WilliamStormeSmith
03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm enjoying Dark Reign, New Avengers #50 seemed to me to be one of Bendis's best individual issues. Issues #1-3 of Dark Avengers is just fun, he's actually made Morgan Le Fay interesting for the first time in years. Plus I like the way Thunderbolts and Secret Warriors fit in on the side. Mighty Avengers being the only weak spot, and not because of the art. Which kicks ass! But the plot is jumpy and made me think about to many loose ends. It was fun, but the book feels clumsy like a giant team up book rather than a team book with a large cast. Dark Reign should have an interesting conclusion and hopefully breathe some life in some of Marvel's older and forgotten villains.

Nitecrawlah2
03-22-2009, 11:06 PM
This series is awesome because even though it's an ongoing, you know it can't last forever. Not only is Norman a ticking time bomb, the Dark Reign era itself has to eventually end and a new status quo be introduced (which you know Marvel already has fleshed out and ready to put in place, with an announcement probably prepped for SDCC.) For that to happen Norman's Illuminaughty has to be discovered and disbanded.

I think Dark Reign is a fun ride. But it all has to end sooner than later.
Illuminaughty. Very nice.

Mike225
03-26-2009, 01:27 AM
As much as I dislike Bendis' Avengers work, I tried the first three issues of Dark Avengers and I kinda like it. I don't think I like them being Avengers, I think I like the role Norman Osborn has as the evil Tony Stark.