PDA

View Full Version : DCs Wednesday Comics

Ian Ascher
03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/030919-Wednesday-Comics.html

A weekly series in the format of Sunday Comics you have to unfold to read by some top creators and accessable to new readers.

Neil Gaiman on Metamorpho. Kyle Baker on Hawkman.

Sounds like fun.

Paul Sanderson
03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
I like the sound of this.

Biofungus
03-19-2009, 11:34 PM
ANOTHER DC weekly? :yawn:

Paul Sanderson
03-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Who cares as long as it's good.

Biofungus
03-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, like *snicker* the last two, right? ;)

kdmelrose
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
I'll place my money on the likes of Gaiman, Pope, Simonson, Allred, Azzarello, Gibbons, Risso, Sook, Bermejo, et al.

Moonrider
03-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Paul Pope? I'm in.

Paul Sanderson
03-20-2009, 01:19 AM
I'll place my money on the likes of Gaiman, Pope, Simonson, Allred, Azzarello, Gibbons, Risso, Sook, Bermejo, et al.

That's definitely a list to take a chance on.

Newt
03-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Anyone know how this is going to be distributed?

Ian Ascher
03-20-2009, 06:35 AM
ANOTHER DC weekly? :yawn:

This one is only 12 weeks long and the stories are not in continuity so they can be accessable to any new reader.

Ian Ascher
03-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Anyone know how this is going to be distributed?

They'll be available through Previews and sold in your local comic book shop.

From the article it sounds like they'll be newspaper format.... you'll have to actualy unfold the whole thing to read all the comics.

Ian Ascher
03-20-2009, 11:06 PM
NRAMA: Let’s nail down the size of this for certain here...can you describe it’s size and how big each story page will be?

MC: The publication size is 14 inches wide by 20 inches tall, so it’s big. That’s the front page – so when you open it, it gets 28 inches wide, so it’s an enormous page. So for 12 weeks, that “cover” will be an installment of the Brian Azzarello/Eduardo Risso Batman story. Page 2 will be Sgt. Rock, and so on. So essentially, it’s 12 big-ass pages. Each story takes up one whole page, with no staples. It’ll be just like the Sunday funnies you read as a kid.

As an aside, it’s not just a comic book page that’s been blown up really large – it’s an average of sixteen panels per page.

---

Wow.... The more I read about this the more Im digging it.

Ian Ascher
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Saw these on Newsarama:

Superman and Batman
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/04/16/dc-unveils-two-wednesday-comics-pages/

Metamorpho and Kamandi
http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/04/17/cant-wait-for-wednesday-comics-dc-shows-more/

Awesome looking stuff.....

Ian Ascher
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
WEDNESDAY COMICS #1-4
In July, DC Comics gives a fresh twist to a grand comics tradition with WEDNESDAY COMICS, a new, weekly 12-issue series by some of the greatest names in comics today!
WEDNESDAY COMICS is unique in modern comics history: Reinventing the classic weekly newspaper comics section, it is a 16-page weekly that unfolds to a sprawling 28” x 20” tabloid-sized reading experience bursting with mind-blowing color, action and excitement, with each feature on its own 14” x 20” page.
Spearheaded by DCU Editorial Art Director Mark Chiarello, whose past editing credits include BATMAN BLACK & WHITE, DC: THE NEW FRONTIER and SOLO, each page of WEDNESDAY COMICS spotlights the continuing adventures of DC heroes, including:
• BATMAN, WEDNESDAY COMICS’ weekly cover feature, by the Eisner Award-winning 100 BULLETS team of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso
• ADAM STRANGE, by writer/artist Paul Pope (BATMAN: YEAR 100)
• METAMORPHO, written by New York Times best-selling writer Neil Gaiman with art by Eisner Award-winner Michael Allred (Madman)
• THE DEMON AND CATWOMAN, written by Walter Simonson (Thor, MANHUNTER) with art by famed DC cover artist Brian Stelfreeze
• DEADMAN, written by Dave Bullock and Vinton Heuck, art by Dave Bullock
• KAMANDI, written by Dave Gibbons (WATCHMEN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) with art by Ryan Sook (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL)
• SUPERMAN, written by John Arcudi (The Mask) with art by Lee Bermejo (JOKER)
• WONDER WOMAN, written and illustrated by Ben Caldwell (Dare Detectives)
• GREEN LANTERN, written by Kurt Busiek (TRINITY, ASTRO CITY) with art by Joe Quiñones (TEEN TITANS GO!)
• TEEN TITANS, written by Eddie Berganza with art by Sean Galloway
• SUPERGIRL, written by Jimmy Palmiotti (JONAH HEX) with art by Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL)
• HAWKMAN, written and illustrated by Kyle Baker (PLASTIC MAN, Special Forces)
• SGT. ROCK, written by Adam Kubert (SUPERMAN: LAST SON), ilustrated by legendary comics artist Joe Kubert
• THE FLASH, written by Karl Kerschl (TEEN TITANS YEAR ONE, THE FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE) and Brenden Fletcher, illustrated by Karl Kerschl
• METAL MEN, written by Dan DiDio with art by Ian Churchill (SUPERGIRL)
WEDNESDAY COMICS will arrive in stores folded twice to 7” x 10”, with the first issue set to reach stores on July 8.
Issue #1 on sale July 8; Issue #2 on sale July 15; Issue #3 on sale July 22; Issue #4 on sale July 29 • 1-4 of 12 • 7” x 10”, 16 pg, FC, $3.99 US

In this case I think Metal Men is the only one I could care less about. All the other creative teams sound good.

L Jamal
04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
16 pages for $4?
48 bucks for 16-12 paged stories?

Because of the format and # of pages these stories may never see print in another format.

Ian Ascher
04-19-2009, 10:43 PM
16 pages for $4?
48 bucks for 16-12 paged stories?

Because of the format and # of pages these stories may never see print in another format.

If this were a standard sized comic I'd never pick it up at that price but the over-sized format has me hooked to give it a try.

DC could easily reprint these in their Treasury Format a'la the Dini/Ross books which measure about 10x13. Not as big as the 14x20 pages we get with the original product but they would still look nice collected over four volumes.

Paul Sanderson
04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely give this a try. It's an exciting new project from the looks of it.

lightningrod70
04-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Hello, everyone. My name's Michael De Lepine, and I'm the Director of Operations and Executive Editor for Blackline Comics. I also happen to be a professional comic book letterer of over 21 years, and began my career long before computer lettering was prevalent in the comics industry.

I recommend every professional letterer in comics learn how to write, and for every writer to learn how to letter comics. There is a bridge between the two crafts in that both involve problem solving using words. As a letterer, you have to do far more than just point word balloons to talking heads and action poses. You are responsible for directing the eye of the reader through the navigation of the comic page like a traffic cop would wave vehicles and pedestrians through a busy intersection. The ultimate control of the flow and pacing of visual storytelling as we know it is yours as a letterer. Sure, if the comic is a car, then the writer is its steering wheel, and the artist is the gasoline, and you could even call the project editor the front-end alignment, but it is the letterer that will always be a comic book's GPS system. The writer, on the other hand, has to conjure his tale, with all its plot and characterization, out of thin air. Writing can be compared to making a cake from scratch. No recipe ever written can beat a cook’s intuition for whipping up a culinary masterpiece, and that is also true of a good wordsmith. But when it comes to writing comics, there is something to be said about nurturing the writer's creative spark through scripting a comic book page that was drawn strictly from the story’s plot alone. You've all seen this method before, and most likely recognize it as the Stan Lee approach to writing comics, or the so-called "Marvel Style." In terms of coming up with character dialogue and narration that fits the plot's framework and must also weave a path through artwork that is oftentimes spatially uncharted and adamantine for balloon and caption placement.

But these are challenges that good letterers thrive on. I know that's the way I like it when I'm working. So, in the true spirit of creativity, I've created an exercise for myself that perhaps others might benefit from, something I’d be sure I’d have fun creating:

One of the main reasons I'm posting in this particular forum is because I am picking pages out of WEDNESDAY COMICS to experiment on. The first preview the website gave is of the Superman story by Arcudi and Bermejo. The preview showed page 1 of the story sans lettering, with no clue of the story's plot other than the artwork.

Well, I thought it would be cool to create my own dialogue on the fly, and letter it myself. It would bear no resemblance to DC's finished written and lettered product, but that would be okay; this is only an exercise. It's not about succeeding or failing, and I won't gain or lose a lettering gig because of it (...well, I can't lie, it WOULD be nice if someone hired me on the strength of these exercises, as I'll be doing more of them, but I'm not campaigning for lettering work through this).

Anyway, here's what I came up with. Check out the link, enjoy, and any questions or comments are welcome.

-- Michael

Here's the before link:
http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-cont...04/superman.jpg

And here's the after link:
http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=24836723

lightningrod70
04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
As a pleasant surprise unexpected by me, other letterers looked upon this exercise as a creative challenge. I would love to see other comic letterers try this on with the Superman page, but I was itching to go forward with another page.

Sooooo...

Here's my version of the Azarello/Rizzo Batman page from WEDNESDAY COMICS. Enjoy, and try it on for size if you can, fellow letterers (and that goes for the Superman page, too)!

On a side note, I just have to say something I didn't think I had to say, only because I've begun to receive criticism on the dialogue I created for the Batman page: This was written in fun. I have been reading Batman titles for years now and I am fully aware that the dialogue I created for this page is not representative of standard characterization between Batman and Commissioner Gordon.

Having said that... on with the pages.

-- Michael

BEFORE:
http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/batman.jpg

AFTER:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1192993/BATMAN-JOKES.jpg

Paul Sanderson
04-27-2009, 07:49 PM
The lettering is excellent, and the writing good on the Superman page, but leaves a lot to be desired on the Batman page IMO.

lightningrod70
04-27-2009, 08:09 PM
The lettering is excellent, and the writing good on the Superman page, but leaves a lot to be desired on the Batman page IMO.

Thanks, and sorry you didn't care for the writing on the Batman page. I was going for something different for that, kind of an alternate tongue-in-cheek. But not everybody will like it, and that's ok, too.

I appreciate your comments.

-- Michael

hellblazer72
04-28-2009, 02:09 AM
i didn't care for the sound effects in the superman one, and the writing on the batman one seemed out of character...batman and gordon are somewhat friends but here batman seems like a dick lol...

Paul Sanderson
04-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Jokes like that don't work with Batman, especially not in a scene between Batman & Gordon. Definitely out of character. I did enjoy the Superman page, though. Seemed to fit the character and the situation much more.

lightningrod70
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
i didn't care for the sound effects in the superman one, and the writing on the batman one seemed out of character...batman and gordon are somewhat friends but here batman seems like a dick lol...

The style of dialogue between Batman and Gordon was done on purpose and just for fun.

-- Michael

Paul Sanderson
04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I realise that, but it doesn't work, and shows a lack of understanding of the characters and their relationship IMO.

lightningrod70
04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I realise that, but it doesn't work, and shows a lack of understanding of the characters and their relationship IMO.

I DO understand the relationship between Batman and Gordon, having read Batman for years. This was done in fun, as tongue-in-cheek, and NOT meant to be taken seriously for the dialogue content. Or should we criticize the guy who lettered the Superman page as "Beyond Thunderdome" as well, where I posted this same topic in DW's lettering showcase forum. Go see it if you haven't yet. He seems to have gotten the point of my exercize. It's fun, and it's creative. If I were looking to get a lettering gig on a Batman title, or that guy on a Superman title, it would be a totally different story, and I'm certain you would see different, more appropriate attempts on this forum. But as I mentioned earlier, hawking for a lettering job is NOT the objective here. At least, it's not mine. Been there, done that.

Just flexing my chops, that's all. Enjoy it or don't as you choose. Thanks.

-- Michael

Paul Sanderson
04-29-2009, 01:46 AM
If you put something out there for the public to view, then you have to expect opinions to be ventured, some good, others not. IMO it was a poor writing job, regardless whether it was "done on purpose" or it was "meant to be fun." Either way, I don't think it was good writing.

lightningrod70
04-29-2009, 02:19 AM
If you put something out there for the public to view, then you have to expect opinions to be ventured, some good, others not. IMO it was a poor writing job, regardless whether it was "done on purpose" or it was "meant to be fun." Either way, I don't think it was good writing.

Okay. Your opinion. Moving on.

-- Michael

reddjam
05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/reddjam/batman.png

Jim
art & graphic design
http://reddjam.com

giniust
05-05-2009, 06:21 AM
When I'm reading stories like this .... Jeez LOBO why you didn't finish your job?...