PDA

View Full Version : DC Comics: Back to the SIlver Age

Ian Ascher
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Is it me or does DC seem to really be trying to recapture some of the Silver Age feel in many of their books these days?

- They bring back the multi-verse.
- They bring back many of the classic Silver Age characters (Barry Allen being the last one)
- They re-introduce 100,000 kryptonians to the Superman mythos, no longer making him as "unique" as he once was.
- They're going to start having co-features or back-up features in many of their books.
- An old book like Adventure Comics makes a come back.
- Older characters like the Red Circle heroes will be making come backs.... again.

Im sure there are more examples but these are the big ones off the top of my head. By no means do I think it's a bad thing too. The addage "everything old is new again" can certainly apply to comic books on a regular basis.

I just wonder if there's true marketing/thought behind it or if its mostly the whim of Dan Didio because its what he grew up with.

kdmelrose
03-17-2009, 02:53 PM
It's not the Silver Age; it's the early '80s.

Eugene Selassie
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM

I agree. It seems to be more of an obsession with that era (1979-1986).

Mike225
03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
- They re-introduce 100,000 kryptonians to the Superman mythos, no longer making him as "unique" as he once was.
Just a minor nit, but Superman's not unique.

Buckyrig
03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
It's spelled "eunuch", Mike.

Mike225
03-17-2009, 03:33 PM
That, too.

quantum1019
03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Maybe they should bring back the best things about the Silver Age: books that came out on schedule and stories that could be understood without knowing decades of continuity.

Allegory Comics
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah, cause you don't need a lot of history to read a story about the hero being turned into a horse, or some other silly nonsense. If they can recapture the fun of the Silver Age without all the camp, I'd be okay with that. So far so good, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ian Ascher
03-17-2009, 06:53 PM

Yeah... you're right...

1979-1986 is when I discovered DC Comics and (at least to me) everything still seemed like the Silver Age when you look at what DC did vs what Marvel did at the time.

Everything Pre-Crisis at DC to me is still Silver Age in my mind.

They were still doing stories about Bleepo the space money and one issue imaginary tales and they had back-up stories in their books on a more regular basis and so on.

My intent with this thread wasn't necessarily meant to point out the negative. DC had a rough time in the late 70's with books being canceled and price hikes, just like today.

However, I think DC can take a que from another time period in their publishing and do good things based on what was done 25-30 years ago.

Damn Im old...

Paul Sanderson
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't know, I still view that time period as being part of the silver age, even if it actually isn't.

I like some of the changes DC has done, others I don't. But then, that's going to be the case no matter what they do.

quantum1019
03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, cause you don't need a lot of history to read a story about the hero being turned into a horse, or some other silly nonsense. If they can recapture the fun of the Silver Age without all the camp, I'd be okay with that. So far so good, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I don't think we'll see that level of what people call "camp" anymore.

People now, decades later, love to point out the silliness of those old stories, but I think some people forget the important fact that those stories were being written for children. It wasn't intentional "camp." It just looks that way through modern adult eyes.

Paul Sanderson
03-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Even so, it was supremely entertaining. How many comics fit that bill these days?

Moonrider
03-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Several. But nobody's buying them.

Paul Sanderson
03-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Several, out of how many being printed...the stats are not healthy.

Nitecrawlah2
03-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I didn't grow up in the Silver Age, but have read my fair share of those books to see the resemblance. For me at least, I always thought the Silver Age ended in 1985/1986, with the onslaught of mature books/shift in perspective of the superhero. I loved JSA (both the previous and current series) for incorporating so much of the great Silver Age stuff without all the convoluted nonsense. Not everything DC is doing with this now is bad, but I think it'll just catch back up to them, unless they have some type of endgame set up for all of this in the near future. To me it seems like they're bringing in all this multiverse stuff to fill in some heroes/changes/titles, before they go about "resetting it" again once they have what they were looking for in their current slew of titles.