PDA

View Full Version : Most horrific moment in comics

C_Lawson
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I was curious to see what people thought were the most terrifying moments in comics. My vote goes to the scene in the walking dead when they find those two little girls beheaded in the prison.

Mwynn
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/alex-kyle.jpg

WSmith
03-01-2009, 05:02 AM
That's a really good one Mwynn! :thumbs:

pi0trov
03-01-2009, 06:44 AM
First thing that comes to mind is the death of the Invisible Man in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at the "hands" of Mr. Hyde....

WSmith
03-01-2009, 08:20 AM
First thing that comes to mind is the death of the Invisible Man in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at the "hands" of Mr. Hyde....

This is a good one too.

Rob Norton
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM

you stole mine. you sunofabitch. (kidding!!!!)

another one, its not so much a "moment" as it is the whole comic, but its warren ellis and cassadys Planetary issue 11(i think) where we see how the "fantastic" FOUR kill superman as a child, assasinate wonderwoman as she exits the protective barrier of her island for the first time, and capture, torture and kill the green lantern so the could take his power. and the whole issue sets up how these three have been sent out into the world(&universe) to bring peace, light and knowledge to anyone and everyone they meet.
but our seriously fucked up "reed richards" is just to damn smart and evil, and kills them all. it really depresses me. such good comic writing.

rob

Troy Wall
03-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure about terrifying, but I will comment on a scene from Millar's Authority that I thought was both clever and disturbing.

During the arc where one of the past doctors returns and gains what seems to be omnipotent powers, he engages the Authority in battle and hands their arses to them both mentally and physically. He grabs Angela Spica and returns her through time to a doctor's office where the physician would regularly sexually abuse her. The doctor's super-pervy look really added to the emotion of the scene.

Stuck with me to this day. I still consider Authority to be Mark's most entertaining work.

Rob Norton
03-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure about terrifying, but I will comment on a scene from Millar's Authority that I thought was both clever and disturbing.

During the arc where one of the past doctors returns and gains what seems to be omnipotent powers, he engages the Authority in battle and hands their arses to them both mentally and physically. He grabs Angela Spica and returns her through time to a doctor's office where the physician would regularly sexually abuse her. The doctor's super-pervy look really added to the emotion of the scene.

Stuck with me to this day. I still consider Authority to be Mark's most entertaining work.

ohhh yeah. that was some messed up stuff. GOOD stuff. but messed up.

millars run was great comics, but i think he ruined the concept of the Authority that ellis set up. ellis had a super team that, while struggling, were actually good people trying and succeeding to do good things. having all that power, but not being corrupted.

and every story line i have read about the authority since, starting with millars run, turned them into giant a-holes. may be good comics, but i would rather have seen ellis' concept keep going. his authority teams heart and soul died with the the original jenny sparks.

rob

pi0trov
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
you stole mine. you sunofabitch. (kidding!!!!)
My bad. :har:
but i would rather have seen ellis' concept keep going. his authority teams heart and soul died with the the original jenny sparks.
Yeah, I have to admit the only Authority I've enjoyed since the first run was the Revolution series that Brubaker wrote. Well, I also liked Morrison's Authority, but it was only 2 issues. I really think he might've been the one to "get it", and return it to it's former glory, if he hadn't been writing something like 17 other books at the same time. At this point it looks like it's never going to happen....

Scott James
03-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Forgive me but you are all a bunch of pussies. :p

I thought the Invisible Man had "earned" that rather nasty death by the time Mr. Hyde got his hands on him - let's be honest he deserved alot worse.

hellblazer72
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
i'd go with a scene from millars authority also..it's the one where the avenger-like team is looking for the new Jenny Spark and they kill every baby in the hospital...

Biofungus
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Forgive me but you are all a bunch of pussies. :p

I thought the Invisible Man had "earned" that rather nasty death by the time Mr. Hyde got his hands on him - let's be honest he deserved alot worse.
Was that in the first or second series?

Scott James
03-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Was that in the first or second series?
Second.

Paul Sanderson
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I was curious to see what people thought were the most terrifying moments in comics. My vote goes to the scene in the walking dead when they find those two little girls beheaded in the prison.

Identity Crisis.

robbdaman
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
When Joe Quesada took over as EIC for Marvel. The horror hasn't stopped since. :confused:

Biofungus
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
You know, when I saw the title, I thought someone would bring up that character (forget his name) shooting the baby in "Punisher" a few months back. But now people are bringing up "oh yeah, the scene with 42 dead babies" and I'm thinking, "shit, that Punisher thing seems tame now!" :p

ponyrl
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
jason todd and the wrench, but since it don't matter...fo git it!

j giar
03-01-2009, 11:14 PM
-The death of Lori Grimes and her newborn daughter in Walking Dead. I purposely avoided reading ahead in the trade so I'd be surprised at the end....and I was. Unfortunately this resulted in me unable to sleep for two days...Which is credit to the teams producing the book.
- Favorite moment. The coming of The Candlemaker in Doom Patrol and his rampage.

pi0trov
03-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Bio's comment reminded me of another one. There was a Punisher story from a few years back - I think it was Ennis with Quesada art - where he tracks down a gang boss while he's at the dentist. The whole thing is shown like the camera is looking out from the inside of the guy's mouth, as Frank is slowly ripping out his teeth to torture him.

That just made me squirm the whole time while reading it.... :confused:

C_Lawson
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything out of From Hell.

J. Alexopoulos
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
-The death of Lori Grimes and her newborn daughter in Walking Dead. I purposely avoided reading ahead in the trade so I'd be surprised at the end....and I was. Unfortunately this resulted in me unable to sleep for two days...Which is credit to the teams producing the book.

I thought Tyrese's beheading was unbelievable, and then everyone else dies.

dx
03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
http://www.pinkkryptonite.com/images/pinkkryptonite/RobLiefeld.jpg
High everyone, I'm Rob

Troy Wall
03-03-2009, 12:08 AM
ohhh yeah. that was some messed up stuff. GOOD stuff. but messed up.

millars run was great comics, but i think he ruined the concept of the Authority that ellis set up. ellis had a super team that, while struggling, were actually good people trying and succeeding to do good things. having all that power, but not being corrupted.

and every story line i have read about the authority since, starting with millars run, turned them into giant a-holes. may be good comics, but i would rather have seen ellis' concept keep going. his authority teams heart and soul died with the the original jenny sparks.

rob

I agree with you 100% that the Authority of old (the GOOD stuff) is dead and gone. It's sad how Wildstorm continues to beat the fuck out of that horse.

But, I disagree that Millar ruined what Ellis established. I feel he really upped the ante and featured more exciting stories. Out of all the Ellis and Millar Authority stories, Ellis' first arc on it was the least entertaining for me. However, his next arc with sliding Albion rocked my balls off.

It was Robbie Morrison and those who followed that really made a joke out of the book. Even one of my favorite writers, Ed Brubaker, failed to capture the magic which Ellis and Millar had on that book.

As far as company-owned titles go, the Authority is my dream project. I promise you on my freakin' life that I would return that book to its glory days. I don't think highly of myself at all and I would never make such a statement in regards to another company-owned title.

But I would rock the Authority and enjoy every minute of it. I love it.

hellblazer72
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
mr. wall your thoughts on the authority intrigue me..i'd like to subscribe to your news letter :) i thought millar's run on the authority was some of his best work, i just with they didn't have that tom peyer story in the middle of his run..

Mark Bertolini
03-03-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with you 100% that the Authority of old (the GOOD stuff) is dead and gone. It's sad how Wildstorm continues to beat the fuck out of that horse.

But, I disagree that Millar ruined what Ellis established. I feel he really upped the ante and featured more exciting stories. Out of all the Ellis and Millar Authority stories, Ellis' first arc on it was the least entertaining for me. However, his next arc with sliding Albion rocked my balls off.

It was Robbie Morrison and those who followed that really made a joke out of the book. Even one of my favorite writers, Ed Brubaker, failed to capture the magic which Ellis and Millar had on that book.

As far as company-owned titles go, the Authority is my dream project. I promise you on my freakin' life that I would return that book to its glory days. I don't think highly of myself at all and I would never make such a statement in regards to another company-owned title.

But I would rock the Authority and enjoy every minute of it. I love it.

I've always wanted to write the Authority. I'd mostly make sure that the book wasn't centered on the fact that Midnighter and Apollo were gay, which is what most of the runs following Ellis and Millar seemed to do.

hellblazer72
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
the first authority trade that i got was the last story written by ellis.. a nice epic type of story with the death of jenny sparks, then millar came in and introduced jenny quantum(i have a feeling that this is misspelled :) ). i thought millar did a great job of taking over the book after ellis, after that it's been all downhill..brubaker had some cool stuff in his run but after that wildstorm did the crossover mini that had the authority taking over the world...i don't think that's what ellis had envisioned as a direction for the characters.. to me the authority should be a book where new concepts are continually brought out ( kind of like a silverage book but with a modern/mature twist on it) and nice epic stories.. with the authority you should get the feeling that anything can happen, and now with the multiverse back and a ship that can travel through the bleed the skies the limit on what you can do with those characters..it has been the same core team(except for a new doctor and a new jenny) but i wouldn't mind if they introduced a new member to the team...

HaphazardJoy
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM

Maybe I'm just sick, but I didn't find that terrifying at all... hilarious on the other hand, maybe.

Rob Norton
03-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Maybe I'm just sick, but I didn't find that terrifying at all... hilarious on the other hand, maybe.

maybe horrifying isnt right. funny? yes. i chuckled a lot. but it was a really fucked up moment, the way moore played the whole thing out. hes a genius.

rob

Biofungus
03-04-2009, 02:04 AM
I think the more "horrifying" aspect of that, was the reveal. How Griffin's blood was invisible as well, until he was dying. Then on Hyde's outfit, and the tablecloth slowly became more and more saturated.

HaphazardJoy
03-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Oh, I agree it was brilliant, and don't fault others for finding it horrific, but I was too busy being amused to be horrified.

Mark Bertolini
03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
While not neccessarily horrifying, I liked all the terrible shit that happened to Starr in Preacher.

As for disturbing to the max, the part in Preacher where Cassidy was on heroin in the 30s and 40s was pretty bad, especialyl when he degenerated into an animal-like state, killing and drinking the blood from rats and stuff.

Scott James
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe I'm just sick, but I didn't find that terrifying at all... hilarious on the other hand, maybe.Word. The only laugh that topped that was Mr. Hyde's death scene when he pulled down The Tripod.

Glad somebody brought up The Walking Dead - the whole thing is pretty disturbing - the creators deserve credit for being able to produce something that is so shockable with out being cheap or exploitative.

J. Alexopoulos
03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
While not neccessarily horrifying, I liked all the terrible shit that happened to Starr in Preacher.
Do you mean the dog eating his penis, or the rednecks eating his leg? Or is it the penis-head thing?

Mark Bertolini
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Do you mean the dog eating his penis, or the rednecks eating his leg? Or is it the penis-head thing?

Pretty much a combination of all of those.

For another horrifying moment, in the latest No Hero (issue #4), the main character of Josh Carver basically had all of his skin peel away as a result of taking the drugs that made him into a superhuman. It was pretty gross.

MattWaterman
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Going into the archives on this one, and I can't even remember the issue number, but I always think of that Alan Moore Swamp Thing with the vampires in it. There are the kids swimming in the lake and one almost misses the kid in the foreground who has stopped moving, gradually turning white, before the big reveal on the next page.

Always loved that but I'll echo Jim's as well that the sheer out-and-out wierdness of those Doom Patrols could be really unnerving as well...

j giar
03-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Always loved that but I'll echo Jim's as well that the sheer out-and-out weirdness of those Doom Patrols could be really unnerving as well...

Flex Mentallo beneath the Pentagon.....creepy as hell.

Wayne Drake
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
horrific, hmm...I'm so terrible at this. First thing that comes to mind is near the end of MK Punisher's run, he hits Wolvie with a bazooka and everything from his chest down is just fried off and DD and Spidey keep him in a tub to regenerate.

hellblazer72
03-10-2009, 01:16 AM

one of the creepiest guys in doompatrol is yankee doodle...

MattWaterman
03-10-2009, 11:31 AM

I always remember those little kids with the gasmasks on the tricycles riding down the walls. I think they took people's voices away before the guy with the scythe came. Or something like that. Don't really remember Yankee Doodle though. What'd he do?

hellblazer72
03-10-2009, 11:57 PM
he went under the pentagon and when he returned he went crazy...he had i believe dice for eyes and a comb for a mouth and could through faces at people...i maybe remembering his appearance a little wrong...before that he had a pen that could change his face..also the government sent him after the brotherhood..

cbgiles
03-11-2009, 12:14 AM
I thought Tyrese's beheading was unbelievable, and then everyone else dies.
You got that right. That books has you caring about the characters and that sadistic Kirkman freaks you out.
It'll make you nervous to read this book because they off anybody.

Troy Wall
03-11-2009, 02:37 AM
mr. wall your thoughts on the authority intrigue me..i'd like to subscribe to your news letter :) i thought millar's run on the authority was some of his best work, i just with they didn't have that tom peyer story in the middle of his run..

Just buy Absolute Authority Vol. 2 by Millar and Quitely and you can forget the Peyer fill-in that broke up the twelve issues of perfection. :)

Unfortunately, we'll never know what Grant Morrison's take on the Authority would have been. Who knows what the shit happened to that re-launch, still-born after only the second issue. Didn't the carrier slip through the bleed to "our" Earth?

They've relaunched it AGAIN since then and it remains on the level of Robbie Morrison's issues. Flacid comes to mind as word I'd use to describe it.

:)

Mark Bertolini
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Just buy Absolute Authority Vol. 2 by Millar and Quitely and you can forget the Peyer fill-in that broke up the twelve issues of perfection. :)

Unfortunately, we'll never know what Grant Morrison's take on the Authority would have been. Who knows what the shit happened to that re-launch, still-born after only the second issue. Didn't the carrier slip through the bleed to "our" Earth?

They've relaunched it AGAIN since then and it remains on the level of Robbie Morrison's issues. Flacid comes to mind as word I'd use to describe it.

I liked the two issues Morrison wrote, especially the part where Jack Hawksmoor and the Doctor go to the comic shop and steal copies of the Authority trades.

ronin7
03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hrm, most horrific moment... It's probably been said, but the near death beating of Jarvis and Hercules in Avengers: Under Siege. A close second for me would be the death of Jason Todd in Death In The Family.

hellblazer72
03-12-2009, 12:12 AM

i just got the first trade(ellis and hitch) and the second with millar and quitely's first arc..that arc was the first authority book i ever bought...millar was a genius back then. i thought the first 2 issues of morrison's was pretty good, nice set up but the art was really lacking considering it was gene ha drawing it..but that could have alot to do with the blurry effects by the colorist...i haven't picked up any of the new authority but after one issue of wildcats i can say this wildstorm relaunch sucks...

Nitecrawlah2
03-14-2009, 04:52 AM
For me, it has to be a few key moments in Miracleman where Kid is going batshit crazy tearing people apart. The rape scene was also quite disturbing.

I liked the two issues Morrison wrote, especially the part where Jack Hawksmoor and the Doctor go to the comic shop and steal copies of the Authority trades.
Yeah, I remember that being THE comic I couldn't wait to read. Having them bleed into our world with Morrison at the helm could have made for some classic stuff.

OZ!
03-15-2009, 01:48 AM
The killing of pregnant people in any comic has to top my list. That and DC's need to try to make everything "real world" and add gore. Marvel does a fine job of incorporating grit without cutting a dude's limbs off and showing the amputee still oozing(52). WTF?

BJCochran
03-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Going into the archives on this one, and I can't even remember the issue number, but I always think of that Alan Moore Swamp Thing with the vampires in it. There are the kids swimming in the lake and one almost misses the kid in the foreground who has stopped moving, gradually turning white, before the big reveal on the next page.

Awesome scene, it sort of reminded me of Salem's Lot a tad (Dont ask me why or how...maybe just because of the little boy in the novel that gets bitten).

Also, I know someone mentioned this but Rick's wife being killed in Walking Dead. At the time I had a newborn son (Hes a tad older now so not sure if newborn qualifies anymore) and I was shocked and disturbed. Its funny a scene like that wouldnt of bothered me if i read it when my daughter was that young...but it disturbed me tremendously due to my son (That sounds like I'm a horrible parent)

Nick Pitarra
03-31-2009, 05:58 AM

As far as the Absolute Authority Vol. 2 by Millar and Quitely goes...its the single reason I started drawing comics. The last issue of the run was the first one I had picked up at the comic shop (a friend who was into comics brought me there). I liked the art so much that I went back on my own and bought the other issues and I was just blown away by the writing. I totally didn't get that the other team was the Avengers...it's so painfully obvious...but I just wasn't into comics at the time to even have a clue. Anyways...that Absolute Volume two is just awesome. That might be the last 2 full issues illustrated by arthur adams in the back too...i can't remember any others...hulk is only half an issue...and not inked by Art. I actually talked to John Layman on the phone last year...the editor on the Millar run...he said he was trying to get Seth Fisher on a run of the Authority too...but Seth was always too busy...that's why he did that big double page pinup in the back of that collection. Anyways...Quitely and Art Adams are two of my all time favs...having Seth on some of those fill-ins would have been spectacular. But yeah...going from 90's art and the xmen relauches and super man's death....then 10 years later picking up a book where Titan's legs are getting blown off...ironman is blasting babies out of a hospital...hulk is blowing up in outerspace...thor is beating someone with a mace...the subtle things like the evil doctor snapping his cufflinks before he goes into battle with the authority...millar was perfectly over the top and quitely was just perfect with his subtle characterizations...i love it when midnighter comes up behind apollo on the coach and apollo is all pissed b/c he recently got beaten up. His arms are crossed and midnighter puts his hands on his shoulders...just subtle stuff like that...they never play the gay card at all in that run (atleast that i can remember)...just handled it as any normal couple...never part of the story line...lol...the way midnighter torchures the evil doctor with the cattle prod when questioning him. Just an epic run...I didn't take art in highschool and my senior year I picked up that book and started drawing. Definitely the best run of comics ever for me...can't be topped.