PDA

View Full Version : Dr Doom and the Master's of Evil

Aidy
02-23-2009, 06:50 AM
A great little first issue thats aiming right for the heart of any comic book fan who loves the work of Keith Giffen and J.M. Demattis. I always loved the character moments that they put into JLI and this comic has that quality running right through it, Mysterio borrowing Chameleon's car to pick up his computer, the Sinister six giving each other grief over how long it took for Doom to take each member down....although its not all BWA HA HA. If you're looking to get away from Secret Invasions and the House of Balls give this a go. Plus it has DOOM in it...being badass. Hell its better than the recent issue of Mighty Avengers...but some people will buy what ever JOe Q tells 'em too.

Kid intense say's hi.

Moonrider
02-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Kid intense say's hi.

BWA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!! :laugh:

Eugene Selassie
02-23-2009, 10:59 AM
. Hell its better than the recent issue of Mighty Avengers...but some people will buy what ever JOe Q tells 'em too.

Confused by this. I thought Mighty would be the one that Joe hates now since it is the more Avenger Avengers.

Aidy
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Confused by this. I thought Mighty would be the one that Joe hates now since it is the more Avenger Avengers.

why would he put a team on a book and then instantly hate them Eugene? that makes no sense....much like the recent Hank Pym name change.

Eugene Selassie
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
why would he put a team on a book and then instantly hate them Eugene? that makes no sense....much like the recent Hank Pym name change.

I didn't like the name change when I first heard about it.

In reading the issue, it makes sense. I guess I'm the only one on Earth who actually likes the new costume and the whole two fisted, ray-gun toting, Tardis using science/action hero Hank Pym.

:cry:

Aidy
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I didn't like the name change when I first heard about it.

In reading the issue, it makes sense. I guess I'm the only one on Earth who actually likes the new costume and the whole two fisted, ray-gun toting, Tardis using science/action hero Hank Pym.

:cry:

i guess so...what twists my nips about Hank Pym is everyone who writes him understands the character but not the mask. So he's been like 5 different superheroes. He's one of the first marvel characters and fought off giant ants in his debute issue (and thats hardcore) and in my opinion deserves more respect as Antman, not yellowjacket or Goliath or Atlas or whatever bullshit he'll be called nextweek. Its either Antman or Giantman. He should certainly not be naming himself after his dead Ex-wife...which smells of mental breakdown and stalking

Also whilst I love him occupying the "brains" role on a team, and his tenur as an original Avengers gives him the qualifications to lead a team....I can't really see him being the leader of a powerful team of Earth's greatest heroes.
I mean he sucked ass in that lame saturday cartoon. But we all got covered in shit that afternoon.

but still dude....Jocosta? Christ...how long before Star Fox turns up and tries humping everything in sight?

Eugene Selassie
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
i guess so...what twists my nips about Hank Pym is everyone who writes him understands the character but not the mask. So he's been like 5 different superheroes. He's one of the first marvel characters and fought off giant ants in his debute issue (and thats hardcore) and in my opinion deserves more respect as Antman, not yellowjacket or Goliath or Atlas or whatever bullshit he'll be called nextweek. Its either Antman or Giantman. He should certainly not be naming himself after his dead Ex-wife...which smells of mental breakdown and stalking

Also whilst I love him occupying the "brains" role on a team, and his tenur as an original Avengers gives him the qualifications to lead a team....I can't really see him being the leader of a powerful team of Earth's greatest heroes.
I mean he sucked ass in that lame saturday cartoon. But we all got covered in shit that afternoon.

but still dude....Jocosta? Christ...how long before Star Fox turns up and tries humping everything in sight?

1.) I wouldn't mind him being just Ant-man, but since you've had Scott Lang and Eric O'Grady touting that one, and Bill Foster touting Goliath, and Rita DeMara as Yellowjacket (even though some of them are dead) its either Giant-Man or this.

2.) That cartoon made me embarrassed to be an Avengers fan.

3.) Nothing wrong with Jocasta. No bad characters, just bad writers.

I have a friend who just started reading comics with New Avengers. He hated Iron Man and Hank Pym. I handed him back issues and he started changing his mind. THEN I bought a copy for him of Mighty Avengers #21. His response was "WHY THE F--- HAVE THESE A-HOLE WRITERS DUMPING ON HANK PYM AND TONY STARK ALL THESE YEARS?"

I explained that the Tony one was a buildup, breaking down and rebuilding of the character, which I'm ok with (Even though certain writers like Millar and JMS totally miss the mark and make him out to be a total douche).

Hank Pym only got treated that way because Bendis has a habit of dumping on characters he really doesn't like. This is the first time Pym has been handled well since Geoff Johns' run.

ronin7
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Every writer dumps on characters they don't like. It's not exclusive to just one writer.

Eugene Selassie
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
What a blanket statement.

Not every writer does that.

Writers like Gail Simone, Geoff Johns, Peter David, Christos Gage, Greg Rucka, Kurt Busiek, Mark Waid, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Andy Diggle, Ed Brubaker, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, etc...they craft great stories with whomever they are given and are KNOWN for taking written off characters and breathing new life into them.

Bendis is KNOWN for dumping on characters he dislikes.

Carnage
Vision
Scarlet Witch
Tigra
Hank Pym
Wasp
Alpha Flight....

Biofungus
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Pym is a psychologists wet dream waiting to happen, and no writer seems to grasp that.

ronin7
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
What a blanket statement.

Not every writer does that.

Writers like Gail Simone, Geoff Johns, Peter David, Christos Gage, Greg Rucka, Kurt Busiek, Mark Waid, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Andy Diggle, Ed Brubaker, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, etc...they craft great stories with whomever they are given and are KNOWN for taking written off characters and breathing new life into them.

Bendis is KNOWN for dumping on characters he dislikes.

Carnage
Vision
Scarlet Witch
Tigra
Hank Pym
Wasp
Alpha Flight....

Read my text very carefully Eugene. Every writer has a character they don't like that they dump on. It's not something exclusive to Bendis.

Aidy
02-24-2009, 06:22 AM
1.) I wouldn't mind him being just Ant-man, but since you've had Scott Lang and Eric O'Grady touting that one, and Bill Foster touting Goliath, and Rita DeMara as Yellowjacket (even though some of them are dead) its either Giant-Man or this.

2.) That cartoon made me embarrassed to be an Avengers fan.

3.) Nothing wrong with Jocasta. No bad characters, just bad writers.

I have a friend who just started reading comics with New Avengers. He hated Iron Man and Hank Pym. I handed him back issues and he started changing his mind. THEN I bought a copy for him of Mighty Avengers #21. His response was "WHY THE F--- HAVE THESE A-HOLE WRITERS DUMPING ON HANK PYM AND TONY STARK ALL THESE YEARS?"

I explained that the Tony one was a buildup, breaking down and rebuilding of the character, which I'm ok with (Even though certain writers like Millar and JMS totally miss the mark and make him out to be a total douche).

Hank Pym only got treated that way because Bendis has a habit of dumping on characters he really doesn't like. This is the first time Pym has been handled well since Geoff Johns' run.

1. Its Antman/Giantman or nothing...I refuse to call him by Janet's name.

2. It should have done as it sucked all the balls.

3. But what has she done to deserve being an Avenger? To me you have to be one of the world's greatest heroes...such as Cap, Thor, Ironman, (sorry dude) Spider-man, Wolverine, Mrs Marvel, Aries, Hercules....and so on. granted this means Luke Cage would have missed out on the current team, which i woudl be upset about but thats the way I see the Avengers in my mind the GREATEST. Not the b-listers who dont show up in other comics.

My mate said the same thing about Tony Stark's current predicament. But its all 1st act...Tony will be back bigger, stronger and better than before. I'm not in agreement that Bendis dumps on characters, I think he just likes the same characters I do and likes to show them in a way that I would if I was writing the comic at the moment (thats right I'm Bendis with a bolton accent). Obviously Editorial told him to dissasemble the Avengers and said build a new team...so he JLA'd them. And I have no problem with that...

Hank Pym = Antman.

Eugene Selassie
02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Obviously Editorial told him to dissasemble the Avengers and said build a new team...so he JLA'd them. And I have no problem with that...

Hank Pym = Antman.

I'd have no problem with him JLAing them. I think I'd even be able to tolerate Wolverine and Spider Man on the team. My beef is that he used his sandbox characters (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Spider Woman, Spider Man, Wolverine...hell, Matt Murdock was even in the first story arc).

He still hasn't learned to effectively write other characters in a believable manner. His handling of Dr Strange, The Mighty Avengers, Alpha Flight, Thunderbolts, etc...leave alot to be desired.

I'd be fine if his roster was Cap, Iron Man, Ms Marvel, Spider Man, Wolverine, Cage, and Human Torch.

Then maybe a rotation to Zemo, Spidey, Wolverine, Cage, Nova, Vindicator and She Hulk.

Aidy
02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd have no problem with him JLAing them. I think I'd even be able to tolerate Wolverine and Spider Man on the team. My beef is that he used his sandbox characters (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Spider Woman, Spider Man, Wolverine...hell, Matt Murdock was even in the first story arc).

He still hasn't learned to effectively write other characters in a believable manner. His handling of Dr Strange, The Mighty Avengers, Alpha Flight, Thunderbolts, etc...leave alot to be desired.

I'd be fine if his roster was Cap, Iron Man, Ms Marvel, Spider Man, Wolverine, Cage, and Human Torch.

Then maybe a rotation to Zemo, Spidey, Wolverine, Cage, Nova, Vindicator and She Hulk.

Vindicator? Zemo? Nova? NO. She Hulk? If we must.

By sandbox...do you mean the characters people know? and lets be fair to Bendis he made Spider-woman popular again. Even more so than she'd ever been before. Jessica jones is a odd one though...i do agree that he has a hard on for her. and I dont understand that.

Eugene Selassie
02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Vindicator? Zemo? Nova? NO. She Hulk? If we must.

By sandbox...do you mean the characters people know? and lets be fair to Bendis he made Spider-woman popular again. Even more so than she'd ever been before. Jessica jones is a odd one though...i do agree that he has a hard on for her. and I dont understand that.

I've always thought that the Avengers should be the team that people from other teams (Alpha Flight, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, etc...) should graduate to. The BIG LEAGUES so to speak.

If you read the Thunderbolts pre Ellis, especially the lead up to Civil War, it makes sense. With the recent boost of Nova's status, it makes sense. Whether you like those characters or not, they are popular now and they have great importance within the universe.

ronin7
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Nova doesn't belong with the Avengers or any team for that matter. Where he does belong is in a pine box. With a sign that says dead meat.

Eugene Selassie
02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Nova doesn't belong with the Avengers or any team for that matter. Where he does belong is in a pine box. With a sign that says dead meat.

Wow...tell us how you really feel.

I think since Nova spearheaded a rebellion which thwarted an interstellar Annihilation wave which WIPED OUT 2% OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE (when you count populated Marvel worlds, thats a HELL of alot) while the heroes were pissing and moaning and acting out of character over a stupid piece of paper that says SHRA on it, Nova deserves to be an Avenger moreso than ANY of the people on the Avengers at that time.

ronin7
02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow...tell us how you really feel.

I think since Nova spearheaded a rebellion which thwarted an interstellar Annihilation wave which WIPED OUT 2% OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE (when you count populated Marvel worlds, thats a HELL of alot) while the heroes were pissing and moaning and acting out of character over a stupid piece of paper that says SHRA on it, Nova deserves to be an Avenger moreso than ANY of the people on the Avengers at that time.

And Nova's sales numbers are pathetic. The fans prove every month what sells by buying the works of Bendis. You may hate him. But no matter how much you deny it. He has reshaped the Avengers into a leading flag ship property of Marvel Entertainment. Where as prior they were nothing more then a barely noticed super team by the media and casual comic fan.

Mike225
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
And Nova's sales numbers are pathetic. The fans prove every month what sells by buying the works of Bendis. You may hate him. But no matter how much you deny it. He has reshaped the Avengers into a leading flag ship property of Marvel Entertainment. Where as prior they were nothing more then a barely noticed super team by the media and casual comic fan. :laugh:

Aidy
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I've always thought that the Avengers should be the team that people from other teams (Alpha Flight, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, etc...) should graduate to. The BIG LEAGUES so to speak.

If you read the Thunderbolts pre Ellis, especially the lead up to Civil War, it makes sense. With the recent boost of Nova's status, it makes sense. Whether you like those characters or not, they are popular now and they have great importance within the universe.

riiiiiight...so explain jocosta then. because she doesn't fit in with your reasons of who should get into the team and the other teams arent like the Teen Titans you dont graduate from the X-men to the Avengers. You go from New X-men to an X-men team, only to be dropped when that writer leaves. Nova was popular within a story his comic isnt doing so well sales wise is it....

Eugene Selassie
02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
And Nova's sales numbers are pathetic. The fans prove every month what sells by buying the works of Bendis. You may hate him. But no matter how much you deny it. He has reshaped the Avengers into a leading flag ship property of Marvel Entertainment. Where as prior they were nothing more then a barely noticed super team by the media and casual comic fan.

Wow. I get the other guys in here like New Avengers.

In multiple threads, you have come across as nothing but a sycophantic sheep waiting for your master to tell you what is good and what is not.

Geez, its ok to like something, but you seriously seem to do nothing but point out how EVERY OTHER comic is inferior to Bendis' work.

Do you READ anything besides that stuff? Because you don't sound like you do.

And seriously...using sales as a barometer for quality??? Please.
Vanilla Ice went platinum man.
:slap:

Eugene Selassie
02-25-2009, 11:28 AM
riiiiiight...so explain jocosta then. because she doesn't fit in with your reasons of who should get into the team and the other teams arent like the Teen Titans you dont graduate from the X-men to the Avengers. You go from New X-men to an X-men team, only to be dropped when that writer leaves. Nova was popular within a story his comic isnt doing so well sales wise is it....

Jocasta is part of that weird dysfunctional family dynamic (Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne, Ultron, Alkhema, Vision, Wonder Man, Jocasta)...

I need to look in my back issues, but once you read some of those stories, you won't question her being on the team. She's kicked ass, she's been through the wringer. She deserves it.

Its weird that alot of people don't question how Thunderbird III, Lifeguard, Warpath or Mystique being on X-men teams, but Jocasta on the Avengers causes issues...

I'll get back to ya Aidy. :har:

Aidy
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Jocasta is part of that weird dysfunctional family dynamic (Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne, Ultron, Alkhema, Vision, Wonder Man, Jocasta)...

I need to look in my back issues, but once you read some of those stories, you won't question her being on the team. She's kicked ass, she's been through the wringer. She deserves it.

Its weird that alot of people don't question how Thunderbird III, Lifeguard, Warpath or Mystique being on X-men teams, but Jocasta on the Avengers causes issues...

I'll get back to ya Aidy. :har:

I question Lifeguard being anywhere near the X-men. Mystique and Warpath I can handle but a life guard? No, no, no. Stacy X was 100% more interesting. If you can tell me some classic issues or runs on the Avengers I'll check them out.

Eugene Selassie
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I question Lifeguard being anywhere near the X-men. Mystique and Warpath I can handle but a life guard? No, no, no. Stacy X was 100% more interesting. If you can tell me some classic issues or runs on the Avengers I'll check them out.

Gimme a few. Need to check my long boxes when I get home.

And how are you digging Stacy X in New Warriors? :nyah:

ronin7
02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Wow. I get the other guys in here like New Avengers.

In multiple threads, you have come across as nothing but a sycophantic sheep waiting for your master to tell you what is good and what is not.

Geez, its ok to like something, but you seriously seem to do nothing but point out how EVERY OTHER comic is inferior to Bendis' work.

Do you READ anything besides that stuff? Because you don't sound like you do.

And seriously...using sales as a barometer for quality??? Please.
Vanilla Ice went platinum man.
:slap:

Vanilla Ice had one hit record which is why he fell from grace. Bendis has had numerous comics in the top five. Something Slott hasn't achieved that I know of. And I have nothing against Slott. I've talked to him before and he's a nice guy. But he just doesn't get the role the Avengers play right now. Which is why I think Mighty Avengers won't last long.

Aidy
02-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Gimme a few. Need to check my long boxes when I get home.

And how are you digging Stacy X in New Warriors? :nyah:

With all the other stuff i buy and read in a month I dont get New X-men - one of the few Xbooks I dont get. But I 'm glad Stacy X is back after M-day. She lost her powers...so whats the deal with her right now? Is she still powerless?

You didnt say New X-men did you ...you said New Warriors...I've never bought that.

the_beast
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
With all the other stuff i buy and read in a month I dont get New X-men - one of the few Xbooks I dont get. But I 'm glad Stacy X is back after M-day. She lost her powers...so whats the deal with her right now? Is she still powerless?

You didnt say New X-men did you ...you said New Warriors...I've never bought that.

Some Spoilers If You've Never Read New Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacy_X

Aidy
02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Some Spoilers If You've Never Read New Warriors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacy_X

Cheers for that Beasty. not to urinate on your parade but I had a look yesterday after talking to Eugene....but thanks man :)

Eugene Selassie
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Cheers for that Beasty. not to urinate on your parade but I had a look yesterday after talking to Eugene....but thanks man :)

No doubt.

Appreciate the heads up Beast.