PDA

View Full Version : sometimes everything can be right but still come out wrong

xombey
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
maybe it's just me. i know what supposed to be happening here. but this incredible hercules cover kind of gives the impression that the chains are moving upwards, like they have a life of their own, instead of being torn apart.

http://i.livescience.com/images/HERC126_cov.jpg

Newt
02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
That's because it's swiped from a Doc Oc picture.

:bounce:

xombey
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
really?

i can believe that

Gav Heryng
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
It'd help if the chains wrapped around the contour of his arms and body - that way you'd get the impression that he's bursting forth from within them. As it stands it looks like they're sprouting from his back and reaching upwards, hence the Doc Ock-like appearance.

Gav

xombey
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
when pros do things like this, it makes me wonder about art crits. i mean, there's an editor on this book. it's mid-profile. but i guess, once you establish yourself things like this get over looked. tho, i wasn't sure if anyone else saw it like i do

carynord
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I heard it said that once an artist breaks in, an editor expects that artists performance to drop by 30% due to the introduction of deadlines, more drawing than you're accustomed to, and having to draw things outside of your comfort zone. There's not much time to draw things over again, you just have to learn fast and pretty much get it right the first time... or learn to live with your mistakes.

Justice41
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
That's Frank Cho right? He should know better but the question is, does he care?

xombey
02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
justice: i think it's ed mcguiness

cary: that's a little reassuring. it makes it seem more within the grasp of the avg artist

Rob Norton
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
doesnt really bother me. i look and could see that he was breaking free from the chains, to i immediatly "saw" the chains as having JUST snapped at a high peak and are falling back. so i works for me.
but i will admit i think it could have been done differently and maybe a little mor effective, but that argument can be aplied to any peice of art and is subjective to the one viewing it.

oh well.

rob

Phatman
02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Don't see it---looks like Herc had his arms close to his chest and busted the chains sending the debris away from his body---how else would it be depicted?

HaphazardJoy
02-21-2009, 09:25 AM
A little variation in the angle of the individual links would have looked better imo, but I don't really think it's that much of an issue. I do pay attention to stuff like that, but I think I'm only seeing an issue because you pointed it out.

MARS
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
I heard it said that once an artist breaks in, an editor expects that artists performance to drop by 30% due to the introduction of deadlines, more drawing than you're accustomed to, and having to draw things outside of your comfort zone. There's not much time to draw things over again, you just have to learn fast and pretty much get it right the first time... or learn to live with your mistakes.

It's funny you say that Cary... I rarely draw anything over anymore- unless there's a mistake in the script. My moto anymore is : Keep Going. Figure it out later. Run the hurry up offense always.

i have a motto: "When in doubt...Block it out!" ( i would have totally had broken links of those chains spinning towards the viewer to give the illusion of movement.

I think every artist cares...(well maybe there's one or two) about the quality of his/her work. But sometimes you just can't DO a character the way some fans want them done.

@ NYCC i was told something sorta kinda similiar to what Cary said. I get most things dropped on my lap with not a ton of prep or leadway time. So at times it takes me 3-4 issues just to get into the groove of the character(s) in the book.

I think usually that editors micro manage the production side more these days...Artists are picked because they have proven they have the talent and the commitment to deliever (usually) work on time. Paying added attention to more verbage @ NYCC...The biggest concern is getting things done on time and if not possible---Be honest about it and giving your editors a heads up so that you can get assistance.

Not sure what happens if you become someone who constantly needs assistance. I am thinking that's the catch double duece there.

M.

Justice41
02-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Done right...
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DIA/STAR17905~Superman-Posters.jpg

John Rauch
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I actually like the Herc drawing more. The chains probably could have been captured at a more exciting angle, but the pose is much more dynamic.

Biofungus
02-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Agreed. The chains are that supes pic are done right, but Supes himself is boring as all get out.

Moonrider
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Done right...
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DIA/STAR17905~Superman-Posters.jpg

You know what's wrong with this picture? The chains only wrap around his waist, and his hands were free.

Meyvn
02-26-2009, 03:03 AM
You know what's wrong with this picture? The chains only wrap around his waist, and his hands were free.

He broke them with his boobies.