PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book pitches that never quite made it

JRCarter
02-14-2009, 01:02 AM
We've all read about pitches that, for one reason or another, didn't quite make it, like Alan Moore's "Twillight of the Superheroes" (http://www.hoboes.com/Comics/Twilight/).

We've all read a few here and there. This is where we post some of our favorites.

One of my favorites was a concept that was described as "Luke Cage Done Right" (http://www.operative.net/personal/creative/fiction/bigger-work/index.html)

loki5
02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Here's one from Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Mark Millar, and Tom Peyer:

SUPERMAN 2000 - A plan to revitalize the Superman franchise for the new millennium (http://theages.superman.nu/History/2000/SUPERMAN2000.php)

" So, in order to accomplish the transition to this new take on Superman more easily, our rationale is this: itís been established that Supermanís powers are a result of solar energy saturating his cellular batteries. Itís even been suggested that his powers will increase through time as he absorbs more of our sunís radiation.

And thatís just what happens.

As part of his alien maturation process, Superman crosses a second, critical threshold of solar radiation absorption and suddenly wakes up three times more powerful and three times smarter.

This changes everything."

...and this part, which I actually like:

"THE COSTUME

Weíd like to tweak the costume by finally getting rid of the red underpants. This gives us a new look which somehow recovers the more classic, Golden Age, "primal" Superman look and feels like an update. This move also has instant media appeal: Finally, Supermanís smart enough to wear his shorts UNDER his pants."

Allegory Comics
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I haven't read the whole pitch, but just in regards to the ideas quoted above ... they've already touched on the power elements.

Immediately after he was resurrected by a concentrated surge of solar energy by the Eradicator in the Fortress, his power began to grow exponentially. Eventually he was about the size of the Hulk, and he couldn't control them anymore so he exiled himself to space. That was in the mid-1990s.

As for being supersmart, they touched on that I think at the beginning of 52 just last year - or whenever it was. His powers had sharpened his mind and he could analyze all his tacticle options in just a split second.

Mike225
02-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Did anyone else read All-Star Superman? That was the premise, he was triple everything and it was killing him.

Ian Ascher
02-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Did anyone else read All-Star Superman? That was the premise, he was triple everything and it was killing him.

Many of Grant Morrison's ideas from his Superman pitch went into his All-Star Superman.

T.J. May
02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I haven't read the whole pitch, but just in regards to the ideas quoted above ... they've already touched on the power elements.

Immediately after he was resurrected by a concentrated surge of solar energy by the Eradicator in the Fortress, his power began to grow exponentially. Eventually he was about the size of the Hulk, and he couldn't control them anymore so he exiled himself to space. That was in the mid-1990s.

As for being supersmart, they touched on that I think at the beginning of 52 just last year - or whenever it was. His powers had sharpened his mind and he could analyze all his tacticle options in just a split second.

Mid 90s eh? Hmm...who wrote and did they have any close friends in Major League Baseball?

Better call Congress. They may have another witness.

robbdaman
02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
It was a pitch, not MLB "pitchers" but lol nice burn on baseball players.

R~

ronin7
02-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Some of what they say makes sense. But most of it is garbage. I have long held the idea that as Superman's cells maturates that he would able to hold more energy in his cells. Not only that but his body wouldn't require as much energy to utilize his super powers. He would eventually achieve a state where he could stay super powered under conditions that would prevent him from recharging for a long time.

But he never should achieve those levels in his ongoing series. Because no one wants to read the undefeatable hero who has the personality of a toaster, a bland supporting cast, and rogues gallery that always gets turned into play dough.

Biofungus
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Wasn't there a Superman vs. Aliens crossover that involved him running out of juice because of the lack of sunlight?

Mike225
02-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah. He even got infected by one of them.

the_beast
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Still Can't Believe DC Turned Down Alex Ross' "Say My Name... Shazam"