PDA

View Full Version : Comic book Universes you miss.

ponyrl
02-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I'll start.

I miss the entire Comics Greatest World/Darkhorse Heroes Universe. :cry:

Had a lot of great stories, IMO could stand on the shelf today and be equal to current stories.

Next!

Emperor Zurg
02-12-2009, 02:41 AM
I'll start.

I miss the entire Comics Greatest World/Darkhorse Heroes Universe. :cry:

Had a lot of great stories, IMO could stand on the shelf today and be equal to current stories.

Next!

The Malibu Ultraverse line before Marvel took it over.... Also the Milestone line at DC.

zcotty
02-12-2009, 05:00 AM
I'll second the Malibu line. Some of the Crossgen stuff too.

Gonzogoose
02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Crossgen hands down. It's what brought me back to comics and I sorely miss it.

L Jamal
02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
not really the entire CrossGen universe.. but specific books... Scion, Brath, Sojuourn... especially Scion

JamieRoberts
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
How's this a Creator Community thread?

Gav Heryng
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Jim Roberts: Forum Police.

Dis

Mark Bertolini
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I've been re-reading the Comic's Greatest World omnibus's recently, and I think, with the right creators, some of those titles could make an impact now.

QRM
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Crossgen malibu :cry: please bring them back

quantum1019
02-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Valiant!

DemolitionSamurai
02-14-2009, 07:22 PM
God I miss Crossgen. Ruse was my favorite comic for so long and it was ended so abruptly. I was a big fan of Meridian, Scion and Way of the Rat, too. It was just such a brilliant idea for a universe.

Ian Ascher
02-14-2009, 08:53 PM
New Universe from Marvel.

Sure, some of it was goofy (Kickers Inc???) but the entire line of books was ahead of its time.

Warren Ellis began an amazing relaunch of the concept but sadly, that's dissappeared as well.

Raven
02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
New Universe from Marvel.

Sure, some of it was goofy (Kickers Inc???) but the entire line of books was ahead of its time.

Warren Ellis began an amazing relaunch of the concept but sadly, that's dissappeared as well.

I am really curious as to why this failed. Did it? How did it sell?

I mean, will Marvel fans not even support Marvel books that don't feature the mainline Marvel universe? I am interested in the New Universal stuff but I don't know where to start, because I've never seen the books.

the_beast
02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Ultraverse And Comics Greatest World... The Most

ehendrix
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Probably Ultraverse and Valiant for me... Valiant had some very strong books, but not fans, I suppose... Ultraverse was just a trip when it first started out and really got my attention away from the other publishers for a short period of time.

Imboden
02-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Snarky answer: The cohesive Marvel Universe
Real answer: Milestone

RonaldMontgomery
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
The Elementals. What great books.

And I *confess* a love for Southern Knights.

Jamir with an E
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM
The two I miss most would be the Valiant Universe and (though I may be the only person on all planet earth to do so :laugh: ) The "Impact" Universe Dc put together using the characters (super hero) that were owned by Archie. To this day different titles from there are on my "search for" list whenever I hit conventions on a strictly fan basis.

quantum1019
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
The two I miss most would be the Valiant Universe and (though I may be the only person on all planet earth to do so :laugh: ) The "Impact" Universe Dc put together using the characters (super hero) that were owned by Archie. To this day different titles from there are on my "search for" list whenever I hit conventions on a strictly fan basis.

You're not alone. I had sort of forgotten about the Impact universe, but now that you've reminded me, I recall it being a lot of fun. The Fly, the Comet, the Shield, the Jaguar were all fun while they lasted. Thanks for mentioning Impact; it just brought back some good memories.

Ian Ascher
02-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I am really curious as to why this failed. Did it? How did it sell?

I mean, will Marvel fans not even support Marvel books that don't feature the mainline Marvel universe? I am interested in the New Universal stuff but I don't know where to start, because I've never seen the books.

The line of books lasted for a little over two years in all. I dont have sales figures but it sold under the standard Marvel fare at the time and the creative teams got to finish out their ideas and concepts.

I know PsiForce, DP7 and Star Brand were collected as Essentials. They may have done a few more. I'll have to check.

The New Universe was Heroes about 20 years before the tv show.

WSmith
02-28-2009, 03:28 AM
You're not alone. I had sort of forgotten about the Impact universe, but now that you've reminded me, I recall it being a lot of fun. The Fly, the Comet, the Shield, the Jaguar were all fun while they lasted. Thanks for mentioning Impact; it just brought back some good memories.

What a great memory. I really enjoyed these. I was collecting comics seriously then. As a older teenager, I was all about the more adult books- specifically the release of Image, and the like, and these books were kinda throwback (for what few years it really was) to a time when I was on a parentally restricted reading list.

I also really enjoyed most of the Crossgen stuff. I got onboard at the very begining with scion, meridian, Sigil and Mystic. Sigil was my favorite until they changed from the two brothers (Ben and Ray Lai)- (had to look up the names which were due to insertion of more important facts-my brain is now working on a very limited 1:1 ratio no telling what I gave up to look up these two.) who were doing the art. I loved scion and in fact bought Young Avengers solely based in Jim Chueng's art and became interested in New Avengers for McNiven's art, which cool as it was couldn't carry me through Civil War. My pocketbook lost interest before I could expand into Sojourn or Negation.

I think Disney could really do some neat stuff with a young adult animated film franchise including the original four books: Sigil, Scion, Mystic and Meridian.

Drew
05-19-2009, 05:29 AM
You know i've only really stayed within DC and marvel but gaahhd did i love crossgen's the first. The art from bart sears? jesus i love that guy. I miss crossgen to be honest. Just the balls to go at the big two with original creative and good books, it really is a shame that it never worked out. Those guys had balls. big, juicy, doomed to fail balls.

Drew

RandallFlagg
05-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I can't speak for the whole universe, but I loved CrossGen's Route 666. And whoever put out Quantum and Woody. It was Valiant right?

Rob Norton
05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
the ABC line by alan moore. LOEG, Promethea, Top10. Tom Strong was one amazing book with more ideas and concepts of simple yet complicated adventure comics poured into a single issue than many series entire run.

and i had a sneaky feeling that somehow...those books...especially tom strong were EASY for Alan to write. that they just ...flowed out of him with no effort. but damn they were good.

rob

BJCochran
05-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I know its still present (Because of the new Marvel mini-series) but the 2099 universe. I want it back to the way it was!!!!!!!!!

that and the M2 Universe. Yes I know Spder-Girl is still around but I want the rest of them back as well