PDA

View Full Version : All-Star batman #11

NickGuy
01-23-2009, 02:01 PM
so who is to blame for the lateness on this book this time? miller? lee? williams? sinclair? fletcher?

seriously, what is the deal? Jim's blog said november 25th, then dc had it at december 31st. :man:

Paul Sanderson
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
That whole series is in a quagmire of bad quality. DC need to just axe it now and concentrate on the regular Bat-books.

robbdaman
01-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Blame Miller, he's too busy wanting to do movies to give a crap. Lee, Williams, Sinclair and Fletcher could have produced 20 issues by now I assure you.

kdmelrose
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
That whole series is in a quagmire of bad quality. DC need to just axe it now and concentrate on the regular Bat-books.

Yes, by all means, DC should cancel one of its top-selling titles, and its best-selling Bat-book.

:whistlin:

Eugene Selassie
01-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Lee, Williams, Sinclair and Fletcher could have produced 20 issues by now I assure you.

Whoa whoa whoa....let's not get crazy now.

Paul Sanderson
01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
A funny indictment on the POS that is ASB:

http://www.i-mockery.com/comics/longbox7/default.php

Scott Story
02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Holy Crap, Frank, that's funny! And all true. Who knows what's up with Miller's mind, forcing a child-abusing, cop-killing, ultra-sadistic, creepy Batman on us.

Why has Jim Lee stuck with it? The residuals he makes off it? Perhaps.

I'll admit, sometimes this book has been so bad I've picked up a copy. I bought the one were Batman gleefully burns crooks, then screws Black Canary on the docks while his victims moan around him. Why did I buy that one? At the time it seemed like such a good idea.

onizuka43
02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't know I really like the way Miller writes Dick Grayson (age 12) throughout the run.

Eugene Selassie
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Wish I could join you guys. I couldn't get past issue 5. At SOME point in life, I'll give it another chance and read the whole thing in one sitting when it finishes...in 2012.

onizuka43
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I'll give it another chance and read the whole thing in one sitting when it finishes...in 2012.

Looks like we have an optimist on our hands.

Paul Sanderson
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Holy Crap, Frank, that's funny! And all true. Who knows what's up with Miller's mind, forcing a child-abusing, cop-killing, ultra-sadistic, creepy Batman on us.

Why has Jim Lee stuck with it? The residuals he makes off it? Perhaps.

I'll admit, sometimes this book has been so bad I've picked up a copy. I bought the one were Batman gleefully burns crooks, then screws Black Canary on the docks while his victims moan around him. Why did I buy that one? At the time it seemed like such a good idea.

I know what you mean, Scott. A lot of things seem like a good idea at the time, only for you to shake your head afterwards when you think about it. If more people would think about this book (ie. not buy it), then perhaps DC wouldn't perpetuate the crap!

PC812
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Blame Miller, he's too busy wanting to do movies to give a crap. Lee, Williams, Sinclair and Fletcher could have produced 20 issues by now I assure you.
I wouldn't say Miller's to blame for this. He had no interest in doing Batman again, DC offered him a lot of money so he's basically laughing at everyone dumb enough to throw away money on it. If I were in his position, I'd probably do the same thing. In fact, I doubt there are many people on here who wouldn't.

Paul Sanderson
02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Sure, because I'm poor and could use the money. He isn't. I don't respect people who deliberately do bad work. Yes, DC is stupid and yes, in a way I can't blame Miller for taking easy money. But that doesn't mean I have to respect him for it.

NickGuy
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
A funny indictment on the POS that is ASB:

http://www.i-mockery.com/comics/longbox7/default.php

and some very well thought out analysis...

http://geoffklock.blogspot.com/2008/09/comics-out-september-24-2008-all-star.html

Paul Sanderson
02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
That guy is either Miller himself or he's on drugs.

Paul Sanderson
02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
More tributes to the crappiness that is ASB:

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/06/12/law-order-goddamn-batman/

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2008/01/15/god-damn-batman/

http://maximum.vox.com/library/photo/6a00c22527121e549d00d414492f5f685e.html

http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/2007/09/goddamn-batmans-guide-to-being-better.html

Paul Sanderson
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
We're talking about Miller here, not me. Stay on topic, huh? And Jack Kirby's 80s work is NOTHING like that of Miller. NOTHING!

NickGuy
02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
That guy is either Miller himself or he's on drugs.

in what way? in the fact that he raises some very interesting things that are easily unnoticeable?

I said before on another message board that this comic has alot going on for it. and now reading that someone else sees it too....Its too easy to hate this comic, everyone focuses on the blatant stuff. Miller has always been over-dramatic in everything he does

NickGuy
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
More tributes to the crappiness that is ASB:

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/06/12/law-order-goddamn-batman/

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2008/01/15/god-damn-batman/

http://maximum.vox.com/library/photo/6a00c22527121e549d00d414492f5f685e.html

http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/2007/09/goddamn-batmans-guide-to-being-better.html

and all of those are just lame picture jokes.

NickGuy
02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
So I tried email spamming Jim lee on myspace about whats going on with ASBAR 11, and he didnt reply...strange....very strange....

Paul Sanderson
02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Funny how those lame picture jokes actually hit home, though, with this POS series.

Ian Ascher
02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
In 20 Questions with Dan Didio today on Newsarama he said this book is now on Hiatus until it can be caught up.

kdmelrose
02-13-2009, 09:02 PM
But what will Frank Dirscherl complain about in the meantime?!?

:eek:

Buckyrig
02-13-2009, 09:15 PM

:eek:

Watchmen comes out in a couple of weeks.

Mike225
02-13-2009, 11:23 PM

:eek:Doesn't DC and Marvel have a few other books scheduled?

NickGuy
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
In 20 Questions with Dan Didio today on Newsarama he said this book is now on Hiatus until it can be caught up.

does that mean they are working on it, at least, and are going to release it all at once? or its just indefinite hiatus?

Ian Ascher
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
The way I read it, it sounded like once Miller and Lee catch back up and have a few issues in the can, they will start to release it on a regular schedule once again.

When Didio mentioned All Star Batman he used it as an example of how DC was trying to stop the flood of late books they've had as of late. (Final Crisis, Legion of Three Worlds, and so on...)

Paul Sanderson
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
When Didio mentioned All Star Batman he used it as an example of how DC was trying to stop the flood of late books they've had as of late. (Final Crisis, Legion of Three Worlds, and so on...)

Whatever they're trying, it's not working.

Ian Ascher
03-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Read the whole post again.

Didio wasnt using All Star Batman as an example of a book thats on-time, he used it as an example of what they are trying to do get books out on time, hence putting it on hiatus.

Give it a rest, Frank.

Ian Ascher
04-02-2009, 07:02 AM
More fuel for the fire...

NRAMA: Lately, Jim Lee has been seen mostly working on the DCU Online game. Is there anything planned with him on the comic book side of DC?

DD: Well, he’s still working on All Star Batman and Robin...

NRAMA: Yeah, sure. But is there anything planned with him on the comic book side of DC?

DD: Well, I’ll go back and say again – he’s working on All Star Batman and Robin with Frank Miller. I can say officially now that he and Frank are committed to six more issues of All Star Batman and Robin, and that will bring the story to a close. And they’re working on them now.

NRAMA: “Bring the story to a close” – are you saying that in the same sense as All Star Superman was Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s book, and when they were done with that, it was ended, rather than continued with new creators?

DD: Yes.

Paul Sanderson
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Good, looking forward to that series ending as well. There's no long term future in the All-Star books, I think DC have realised this.

Ian Ascher
04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Good, looking forward to that series ending as well. There's no long term future in the All-Star books, I think DC have realised this.

The DC ALL STAR line is still a strong and viable brand that could have a very long and positive future if DC makes smarter choices on the creative teams and doesn't solicit the books before they know they'll be finished.

I still look forward to Wonder Woman by Adam Hughes and would still love to see more characters have 12, 6, or even 4 issue ALL STAR runs.

Could you imagine something along the lines of Dr Fate by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean or The Atom by Brubaker and Phillips? Id' pick both of those up in a heartbeat of DC made the attempt.

Doctor Shock
04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
ALL-STAR-BATMAN-AND-ROBIN-THE-BOY-WONDER will go down in history...

Paul Sanderson
04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
The All-Star line is history, and I for one am happy :D

Why not just get those creators on those characters in the regular universe, Ian, rather than in the All-Star universe? That would be far simpler and give you the same perceived quality.

ALL-STAR-BATMAN-AND-ROBIN-THE-BOY-WONDER will go down in history...

As a turd, sure.

Ian Ascher
04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Why not just get those creators on those characters in the regular universe, Ian, rather than in the All-Star universe? That would be far simpler and give you the same perceived quality.

Because you're not always going to get top notch creators on a book for a set period of time to tell a complete story that is unrestrained by traditional DCU continuity. Not to mention, sometimes its fun to be able to sit down and read a story about a well known character you like that isn't shoe-horned into continuty.

Forgive me for using this example because it's Marvel but it's one I remember vividly: I recall an interview some years back with Neil Gaiman talking about a pitch he made to Marvel for Dr. Strange. He said he wanted to show how Stephen Strange became the Sorcerer Supreme and wanted to include a scene where he was doing back alley abortions to pay for the trip to find the Ancient One. Its an awesome idea and in Gaiman's hands would be done very well but there's just no way in hell Marvel would let him do it. Not at that time. Not even because he's Neil Gaiman. If Marvel had an ALL STAR type book, where they didnt have to worry about continuity or ramifications, this would be an amazing story to tell.

You didn't like All Star Superman. Fine. You loathed All Star Batman. Fine. Both were plagued with schedule problems. I agree. Does that mean the All Star Line should die?

If they did a second All Star Batman run with Len Wein and Walt Simonson (to pull two names off the top of my head) would you look at it and give it a chance or would you turn your back simply because it's an "ALL STAR" book?

Lovecraft13
04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Did this series end?

Paul Sanderson
04-04-2009, 05:48 AM
It will soon (if Miller/Lee ever get around to finishing this turd off) :D

Yes, Ian, the creative teams don't mean anything to me, I'm against the entire concept of the All-Star books. Put those guys on the regular books and I'm there, however.

Ian Ascher
04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes, Ian, the creative teams don't mean anything to me, I'm against the entire concept of the All-Star books. Put those guys on the regular books and I'm there, however.

So the creative team doesn't matter to you BUT if that creative team were on the regular series as oposed to a limited series you would buy it?

That makes no sense. None what so ever.

By that logic, if Miller and Lee were doing their work in the traditional monthly Batman books or Morrison and Quietly did their Superman run in the traditional monthly Superman books, you would have bought it and supported it? Right?

Let me answer that one for you... no... you wouldn't buy them and support them.

You would be right here, bitching and moaning and pissing that these icons are being destroyed with bad art and bad writing and a schedule delay so insane that these shouldnt be in the monthly books, crapping on the historic numbering of these long running titles.Instead, DC should just make these seperate titles, apart from their regular continuity.

Back to square one. Lather, rinse, repete.

You know... it's funny... everyone is entitled to an opinion. and I hardly get worked up over stuff like this but your logic is so ass-backwards sometimes I really wonder what goes through your mind when you post. I really do. The need to beat a point down so far and so hard that it becomes dust in the palm of your hand..... man.

That's it.. said my peace and I'm done on this one. With six issues to go on Batman by Miller and Lee and an Adam Hughes Wonder Woman series yet to come... I'm looking forward to more All Star Books.

kdmelrose
04-04-2009, 11:29 AM
... your logic is so ass-backwards sometimes I really wonder what goes through your mind when you post. I really do. The need to beat a point down so far and so hard that it becomes dust in the palm of your hand..... man.

Welcome to the Internet. May I take your coat?

:har:

Buckyrig
04-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Van Halen Rulez?

Lovecraft13
04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Van Halen Rulez?

Only the Gary Cherone era!

Paul Sanderson
04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Nothing wrong with my logic, Ian. My opinion just differs from yours in regards to the All-Star line and you clearly have a problem with that. But that's your problem, not mine. Deal with it.

kdmelrose
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Nothing wrong with my logic, Ian.

Sure there is. You've been harping about Frank Miller's take on Batman for approaching four years. In the past you've said "I think all the All-Star books are poorly written and illustrated," which obviously means you've disliked the work of Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely and Jim Lee as well.

But now you say your issue is with the All-Star concept and not the creator(s).

Nitecrawlah2
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm fine with the All-Star line. It works like the Elseworlds' stories anyways, just in a monthly format. All Star Superman was awesome, and something that just could not be created/set in the current line of Superman books occuring in "real time" DCU. But yeah All Star B&R sucks big donkey "Frank Miller is awesome so let's give him a lot of money" balls.

NickGuy
04-16-2009, 04:10 AM
asbar is awesome and i cant wait for the next issue. whenever that may be. i will buy it because its the only book worth reading to me.

Paul Sanderson
04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
:yuk:

Ian Ascher
04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
From Newsarama:

Newsarama: Where do you see the All Star line moving forward? Grant and Frank’s All Star Superman has ended, and as you said last time we spoke, once Frank Miller and Jim Lee are done with All Star Batman & Robin – which will take some time – that series will end as well. Is it still going to be a viable place where creators can come to tell their special stories, or is the concept being slowly shelved?

DD: Right now, as we’ve said, Batman & Robin is still running, and Frank and Jim are working on it again, and with All Star Wonder Woman in construction with Adam – the line’s still running. I haven’t seen past that, but depending upon what the lay of the land is, and what creators step forward we’ll see. I’m not saying there is no more All Star line; there are just no All Star plans at this moment.

:thumbs:

WilliamStormeSmith
04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
didn't they have a penicled page of Morrison and Quitely's run on All star Batman in the back of some of DC's comics last month?

ronin7
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
didn't they have a penicled page of Morrison and Quitely's run on All star Batman in the back of some of DC's comics last month?

That wasn't All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder. That's Batman and Robin, named after the horrible Joel Schumacher movie.

Ian Ascher
04-17-2009, 11:54 AM

The Morrison/Quietly Batman is an in continuity, non-All Star book.

Eugene Selassie
04-19-2009, 10:55 AM
From Newsarama:

Newsarama: Where do you see the All Star line moving forward? Grant and Frank’s All Star Superman has ended, and as you said last time we spoke, once Frank Miller and Jim Lee are done with All Star Batman & Robin – which will take some time – that series will end as well. Is it still going to be a viable place where creators can come to tell their special stories, or is the concept being slowly shelved?

DD: Right now, as we’ve said, Batman & Robin is still running, and Frank and Jim are working on it again, and with All Star Wonder Woman in construction with Adam – the line’s still running. I haven’t seen past that, but depending upon what the lay of the land is, and what creators step forward we’ll see. I’m not saying there is no more All Star line; there are just no All Star plans at this moment.

:thumbs:

PLEASE!!!!

Either Mark Waid/Jim Lee, or Geoff Johns/Jim Lee on an All Star JLA.

Pretty please???
:cool:

Paul Sanderson
04-19-2009, 06:46 PM
No :nyah:

NickGuy
04-23-2009, 03:15 AM
moar asbar pls k thx

Nick Kerklaan
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm honestly really kind of bored and fed up with the inaccesibility of a lot of DC books (and well, comic books in general) thanks to continuity, and would love to see more All-Star books with their self-contained stories about the characters I know and love. If there were more All-Star books I'd probably be reading all of them right now, and am not really sure why DC hasn't persued this idea more aggresively already, given the success of both AS Supes and Batman.

Eugene Selassie
04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm honestly really kind of bored and fed up with the inaccesibility of a lot of DC books (and well, comic books in general) thanks to continuity, and would love to see more All-Star books with their self-contained stories about the characters I know and love. If there were more All-Star books I'd probably be reading all of them right now, and am not really sure why DC hasn't persued this idea more aggresively already, given the success of both AS Supes and Batman.

I agree with you, but I think they need to get their s**t together and make sure the next creative team can put out stuff in a timely manner.
Either that or they probably need to hold off making any announcement until they have at least 6-9 issues in the can.
PLUS I think it'd be counter productive to do an All Star Flash or All Star Green Lantern or All Star Aquaman with all of the REBIRTH stuff happening.
On top of that, it'd really be foolish to do an All Star JLA which would kick major ass IMHO, until they make the in-continuity JLA at least halfway readable and a trendsetter that it used to be.

Nick Kerklaan
04-24-2009, 11:05 PM
But I don't give a shit about the in-continuity stuff. I just want to read a JLA/Flash/whatever book that I don't have to be reading a million other titles to completely follow.