PDA

View Full Version : Starman Omnibus

Ian Ascher
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Picked up Vol 1 for a really good price and Im in the middle of the book right now.

I had never really read this version of Starman. I may have had issue Zero at one time and perhaps one other. I know a lot of people praise this title but so far Im not feeling the genius associated with it.

The art is wonky. Tony Harris does great covers but his sequentials are messy. The transitions from scene to scene are abrupt and confusing. There are even events that move from panel to panel that have me stopping to make sure I read and saw it correctly. I dont know how much of that is the writing and how much is the art.

Did anyone else feel the same? Am I not giving this book enough of a chance?

NickGuy
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I thought the frank miller covers were awesome but i didnt get a chance to read it.

Ian Ascher
01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
???????

I don't think Frank had anything to do with Starman.

Tony Harris was the cover artist for the entire run.

NickGuy
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
i thought you were talking about this...

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/15-289/X-Omnibus-Volume-1

lol my bad. I have no idea how i completely switched those two in my mind.

Eugene Selassie
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
One of the best runs of ANY comic that I've ever read...

and I've read QUITE a few.

Ian Ascher
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
One of the best runs of ANY comic that I've ever read...

and I've read QUITE a few.

Why is it one of the best runs ever?

Im just not seeing it.

Moonrider
01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I bought a few issues on sale. It was good, feels like a tv drama about superhero life. The characters are believable and well developed, and it's a good alternative to the flashy, more generic superhero books out there. I think it should have been a Vertigo title, though.

Buckyrig
01-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Im just not seeing it.

It's been a while since I read it, but I just remember it having an evenness of quality that is hard to find sometimes. It is very 90s, and that may be muting it a bit. The legacy thing hadn't been beat into the ground just yet either. But the whole father/son thing, the fallen brother, reluctant to go into the family business thing all worked for me. Making The Shade a more ambiguous character. A lot of things, but as with most comic series, just the general sustained readability is what made it good for me.

Although, I'd have to go back and reread them. It may have seemed better since it was being published alongside so much horrible crap at the time. :laugh:

Eugene Selassie
01-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Im just not seeing it.

It is the BEST qualities of what DC does right.

Great art/writing team. To be honest, I haven't dug James Robinson since The Golden Age/Leave it to Chance/Cable/Starman...

It beautifully handles the legacy concept, whereas nowadays it is blatant and upside the head moreso than even the movie Crash.

BEST handling of the Shade EVER!

One of the FEW books of the 90's where the dialogue actually felt natural.

Ian Ascher
01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
It's been a while since I read it, but I just remember it having an evenness of quality that is hard to find sometimes. It is very 90s, and that may be muting it a bit. The legacy thing hadn't been beat into the ground just yet either. But the whole father/son thing, the fallen brother, reluctant to go into the family business thing all worked for me. Making The Shade a more ambiguous character. A lot of things, but as with most comic series, just the general sustained readability is what made it good for me.

Although, I'd have to go back and reread them. It may have seemed better since it was being published alongside so much horrible crap at the time. :laugh:

That makes sense to me. Compared to what's put out now it doesn't hold up but at the time it was published... I can see and agree w/ that argument.