PDA

View Full Version : DC needs to work on their marketing (Final Crisis #6 spoilers)

Deadfish07
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Marvel really stole DC's thunder this week. The big news today is the Spidey/Obama team-up. There were long lines at places, my LCS was sold out in less than a couple of hours.

The Robot 6 blog (http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2009/01/there-hasnt-been-any-excitement-like-this-since-they-killed-superman/#more-1450) used the quote “There hasn’t been any excitement like this in comics since they killed Superman” as a headline...

Which I find ironic, since today was the day they killed Batman.

While Spider-man was sold out where I go, there was still two fat stacks of Final Crisis #6 on the shelves. It's not getting covered on either Newsarama or CBR. There was no article in the New York Post, like there is for other huge comic events, including Barry Allens' return in FC. You'd think it would be a big deal.

So why is DC letting Marvel rule the day they should have their own footnote in?

Paul Sanderson
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Batman's about as dead as I am.

Biofungus
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
I'll miss you Frank :cry:

Wayne Drake
01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
i am dead inside. next stop; EBAY

Paul Sanderson
01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Batman (and I) will be back!!! And that's a threat ;)

ponyrl
01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Paul's used deoderant for sale, on ebay right now!

www.ebay.com/getthefuckouttahere/123453423243-545456346346456-image.htm

:D

Wayne Drake
01-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Batman, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;_;

silly bastard, the very thing he's been against his whole life proved his undoing.

He had a good run.

Paul Sanderson
01-15-2009, 01:26 AM
He'll be back...guaranteed.

Wayne Drake
01-15-2009, 03:42 AM
He'll be back...guaranteed.

apparently the omega beams have the power to resurrect :laugh:

Deadfish07
01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, he'll be back. Even before Steve Rogers. I think the upcoming Black Lantern storyline is going to give them an excuse to bring most of the main players back.

Lovecraft13
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Unless Bruce returns as a New God or wished back to life by a Dragonball, he's dead like the Dixie Chicks. Or until issue 7.

The DarkMind
01-15-2009, 02:17 PM
i'm seeing conflicting reports of what Bruce was hit with... the omega beams, or the omega sanction.

if it's the sanction... then bruce will return and we'll see his many adventures in the alternate realities that he's trapped in thus convoluting DC continuity even more until Ultimate Crisis to End All Crises happens to merge all the realities into a massive year long cross over event throughout every singel DC title with 5 independent maxi-series during the event.

Mark Bertolini
01-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, he'll be back. Even before Steve Rogers. I think the upcoming Black Lantern storyline is going to give them an excuse to bring most of the main players back.

That would actually be kinda cool, for a little while, to bring Bruce back as a Black Lantern. Bruce and Barry. I'd like to see that.

Eliseu Gouveia
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Batman is as dead as Bucky.

Mark Bertolini
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Batman is as dead as Bucky.

Heh...remember when that actually used to mean something?

Lovecraft13
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
i'm seeing conflicting reports of what Bruce was hit with... the omega beams, or the omega sanction.

Darkdude did say Omega Sanction in the book.

Paul Sanderson
01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Don't the omega beams typically transport you somewhere? When Bruce returns "from the grave" as he will fairly soon, that's probably what we'll find out happened to him.

It's common sense guys, Bruce as Batman is DC/WB biggest cash cow. He's not going to stay dead long.

Ian Ascher
01-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Some very cool answers here:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/010915-Batman-RIP-Finally.html

I agree... DC blew it on the Batman RIP coverage in the news because of how they market their books for trades and the lateness of the book.

Still a cool issue and it'll be cool to see if DC lets Grant bring Batman back as well.

(Damn... I said cool three times before just now. How cool is that????)

Paul Sanderson
01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Which brings us back to the main point - Bruce is about as dead as I am (and thankfully for everyone here, I ain't dead :laugh: :nyah: ). DC really botched this storyline no matter how they try and spin it. Good article, Ian.

Allegory Comics
01-17-2009, 02:23 PM
So how exactly did Batman die? First there was Batman RIP, and (I was told) he died in a helicopter explosion (lame). Then he's suddenly not in the books and all the supporting cast is mourning him, and that would be followed by "Battle for the Cowl" in which different people fight over who will replace him -- ala: Reign of the Supermen.

So, dead, right?

Then he's suddenly in Final Crisis. Like RIP, I haven't been reading this series either. Not because I don't care, or because I don't want to ... I just haven't got the cash to get into the shops. Anyway, I did pick up #6, and there's Bruce looking a little beaten, and then Darkseid blasts him. Maybe he was transported, but that last page suggests otherwise.

So we have two concurrent storylines, and two different times of death. Which one is his "real" death?

I'm probably missing something pretty important, somewhere. Can someone fill me in?

Mwynn
01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Bruce did not die in the Copter crash. The issue following that shows him getting the call about Orion. RIP takes place before FC. All other stores take place after FC.

Allegory Comics
01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Bruce did not die in the Copter crash.
That's good to hear. It sounded like such a pussy-way for Batman to finally eat it. Going toe-to-toe with Darkseid, however, is a little more like it.

Still, DC (and marvel, no bias here) needs to work on their continuity. But that's not exactly a new problem, is it?

Mwynn
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Try Batman 682-683 to bridge the gap. Between RIP and FC.

Paul Sanderson
01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
12-18 months and Bruce will be back.

Allegory Comics
01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Of course he'll be back, but that doesn't make this any less of a (potentially) good story.

Stories aren't only about the ending, they're about the journey gettng there. Even when people spoil endings for me, I usually still enjoy seeing how they get there.

Reducing this story down to "The Death of Batman" is myopic. That's just the hook. The real stories are how the world reacts to his death, how Gotham survives, who steps up (and why) and how Bruce will ultimately return. Sure, we know he's coming back. Guess what ... so is Steve Rogers, eventually. But we read it to see what happens in the meantime, and how the character will return.

If you ignore the whole thing because you think it won't matter in 12-18 months, then you've missed the whole point of storytelling ... and could miss out on a lot of fun stories and character development, too.

Paul Sanderson
01-17-2009, 07:40 PM
The whole storyline is banal in the extreme. Poor storytelling, no matter how it ended (stupidly in this case). Short term gimmick storytelling which benefits nobody except those silly enough to think it's actually good comic book craft.

Biofungus
01-17-2009, 07:46 PM
The whole storyline is banal in the extreme. Poor storytelling, no matter how it ended (stupidly in this case). Short term gimmick storytelling which benefits nobody except those silly enough to think it's actually good comic book craft.

But... if you haven't read it, how do you know?

:p

Mwynn
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Of course he'll be back, but that doesn't make this any less of a (potentially) good story.

Stories aren't only about the ending, they're about the journey gettng there. Even when people spoil endings for me, I usually still enjoy seeing how they get there.

Reducing this story down to "The Death of Batman" is myopic. That's just the hook. The real stories are how the world reacts to his death, how Gotham survives, who steps up (and why) and how Bruce will ultimately return. Sure, we know he's coming back. Guess what ... so is Steve Rogers, eventually. But we read it to see what happens in the meantime, and how the character will return.

If you ignore the whole thing because you think it won't matter in 12-18 months, then you've missed the whole point of storytelling ... and could miss out on a lot of fun stories and character development, too.

Added to that what will happen to Wayne Enterprises.

Imboden
01-17-2009, 08:50 PM

So when're you gonna off "Wraith"? :nyah:

Scribe
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
The real stories are how the world reacts to his death, how Gotham survives, who steps up (and why) and how Bruce will ultimately return. Sure, we know he's coming back. Guess what ... so is Steve Rogers, eventually. But we read it to see what happens in the meantime, and how the character will return.

But what does it matter with Batman dying, again. The problem is we all know that Batman will stay dead long enough for DC to see profits in "Batman Returns" or whatever hey want to call it that supposed mega-event. So yeah, the questions you raise would be interesting if it wasn't for the fact that Batman will be back in less than 18 months. If they had the balls to keep him dead 10-12 years that would be cool, but we all know Bruce Wayne will be back in time for the next Batman movie.

When everyone is so blase about these gimicky changes to the status quo. Had we had any faith that Bruce Wayne would be dead never to return that would be one thing, but we've already seen this dog and pony show with Superman and Batman before.

The only question is, will it take Batman longer to come back from the dead than it did for him to grow a new spine.

Moonrider
01-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't care if Batman comes back to life the very next issue, an ordinary human killing a New God is still badass.