PDA

View Full Version : Obama = The New Holographic Foil Cover

Troy Wall
01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Hahahaha! This shit makes me giggle like a school girl. It's Obama-sploitation! Want to sell a buncha copies of your book? Slap Obama on (or inside) your book!

Don't believe me? Ask Rob Liefeld (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19545). Big Rob had to get in on this sickening action while the gettin' is good!

Check the activity on Spidey meets Obama (http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2009/01/there-hasnt-been-any-excitement-like-this-since-they-killed-superman/) :eek:

For the record, Erik Larsen Obama'd his book first. The recent issue featuring Obama on the cover is fetching $20+ already.

The Thunderbolts are set to meet Obama next in an upcoming issue, but if Marvel really wants to milk this, they'll get his ass on the cover of the book most ricky fucking tick.

I predict Liefeld is going to blow the bottom out of Obama covers. Now that he's done it, it's no longer gonna be cool.

Oh, and I managed to nab two of those Amazing Spider-Man Obama covers at the shop today. eBay hoooooooooooooooooo!

Yes, I sicken myself.

Ed, get Obama on the cover of BloodRayne, pappa wants to make some of that cheddar!

:laugh:

Biofungus
01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Don't complain, I think that's the first person Liefeld has drawn that wasn't scowling. The gimmick may actually help IMPROVE his artwork!

:w00t:

Wayne Drake
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
i should do a Obama/Mr. Mask '09 comic.
the story: Mr. Mask rescues Obama and says something BADASS like "KEEP THE CHANGE!"

not

Mwynn
01-16-2009, 09:14 AM
You guys missed the best part about this news. Youngblood made it to issue 8.

The DarkMind
01-16-2009, 09:37 AM
You guys missed the best part about this news. Youngblood made it to issue 8.

well to be fair youngblood has made it to issue 8 at least 4 other times if you include strikefile and team youngblood. :banana:

Ian Ascher
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
In an interview on the Dan Patrick show yesterday it was said that the money generated by Obama is 5x greater than anything Michael Jodan or LeBron James has ever generated.

The big difference.....

Obama gets NONE of the cash. He can't. Not one dime until he's out of office.

Right now the redemption card from his Topps trading card set sells for $50 on eBay because he hadn't chosen his dog when the set was made. You have to pull a card (1:385 packs) to mail in to get a trading card of his dog.

Why shouldn't comics jump on the cash bandwagon?

Troy... if you really want to put Obama on the cover of Bloodrayne... DO IT. Maybe I'm wrong (if I am, lemme know) but there is NOTHING stopping you from doing it... unless Ed is a Republican.

galmando
01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
i'm just pissed off i got to fuck about to buy the book, i don't care for all the nonenense, i'lll wait ill 20th printing

WOLVIE
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Give me a break :laugh: . This Obama sh*t is out of hand.

JRCarter
01-31-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483544,00.html

Aidy
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
i notice he didnt draw his feet.....still cant draw feet, eh Rob?

Raven
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Hahahaha! This shit makes me giggle like a school girl. It's Obama-sploitation! Want to sell a buncha copies of your book? Slap Obama on (or inside) your book!
:laugh:

I wrote Quesada a letter, basically saying if they were going to exploit Obama to sell Spider-Man issues, at the very least they should have used it as an opportunity to raise awareness for their African American characters. A back-up story featuring Falcon or Black Panther or something. More black people than ever before have gone into comics stores for this book and not one person is using that to hook new readers.

If Obama had access to more minority characters growing up, he probably wouldn't even be a Spider-Man fan. :)

The DarkMind
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
If Obama had access to more minority characters growing up, he probably wouldn't even be a Spider-Man fan. :)

Wait... are you saying that just because he's black he would have some type of genetic dispositioning to be drawn more to and become a fan of a minority character had they been more readily available at the time then Spider-Man? :huh:

dude... that's just wrong.

Raven
02-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Wait... are you saying that just because he's black he would have some type of genetic dispositioning to be drawn more to and become a fan of a minority character had they been more readily available at the time then Spider-Man? :huh:

dude... that's just wrong.

Yeah, its called "liking what is familiar".

Just because white kids can be stupid and will copy and try to imitate other races, doesn't mean that other races don't appreciate their own culture and people.

It's not genetic, its the need in some communities for positive role models that reflect the backgrounds and heritages of the people that live there.

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-relationships/articles/archive/cp/home_family-for_american_black_women_michelle_obama_is_the_new _role_model

http://www.hutchinson-foundation.org.uk/background/reach08-07

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opinion-former-index/communities-and-local-government/mandela-joins-calls-black-role-models-$477723.htm

The DarkMind
02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Just because white kids can be stupid and will copy and try to imitate other races, doesn't mean that other races don't appreciate their own culture and people.

Maybe that's because the white kids you speak of aren't as self segregating as other races you refer to. They mix themselves into other cultures, not because they don't appreciate their own, but because they want to experience more out of life then being in a closed ended culture and being defined solely by that culture. Just a theory.

It's not genetic, its the need in some communities for positive role models that reflect the backgrounds and heritages of the people that live there.

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-relationships/articles/archive/cp/home_family-for_american_black_women_michelle_obama_is_the_new _role_model

http://www.hutchinson-foundation.org.uk/background/reach08-07

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opinion-former-index/communities-and-local-government/mandela-joins-calls-black-role-models-$477723.htm

no, it's just ridiculous to say that he wouldn't like spider-man so much if there were more available black characters. you can link to all the role model bullshit you want and it doesn't change that it's wrong to assume that a black person in general would be more of a fan of a black character then a white character given the choice. a FICTIONAL role model is only as good as the person writing the character and if the writer behind Falcon or Luke Cage or any other African American character is a pasty skinned white boy, then that role model is going to come across as a white person's interpretation of the culture. Therefore the character in question most likely will not be any more appealing to the reader then spider-man or any other white character if the decision of preference is based on anything more then the color of the characters skin. At the end of the day, all you end up with is one culture defining what a role model for another culture should be.

Raven
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
no, it's just ridiculous to say that he wouldn't like spider-man so much if there were more available black characters. you can link to all the role model bullshit you want and it doesn't change that it's wrong to assume that a black person in general would be more of a fan of a black character then a white character given the choice.

Given the choice? Yeah a black person would be more of a fan of a black character than a white character, all things being equal. But if you want to believe we live in a more PC world, good for you. People will always choose what is familiar, what is most like them, what reminds them of what they know. But there is no way to really know because there aren't enough minority characters available to readers to really prove that theory.

Regardless of that, because I don't want to debate it with you, is the fact that the comic industry, much like the Republicans, has never been interested in a black audience. My point is, if Marvel and other companies are going to exploit Obama, rather than do it to make money off white comic fans, do it to bring new readers to new characters, to raise the profile of minority characters.

Meathawg
02-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Given the choice? Yeah a black person would be more of a fan of a black character than a white character, all things being equal. But if you want to believe we live in a more PC world, good for you. People will always choose what is familiar, what is most like them, what reminds them of what they know. But there is no way to really know because there aren't enough minority characters available to readers to really prove that theory.

Just wow.. so every single black person on the planet would choose a black hero over a white one, if available... that IS what you are saying.... way to stereotype black people... hell then you go on to do it to all people... fuck... people will always choose what is familiar to them? what kind of horseshit is that? Im Irish so I guess Banshee should be my fave character and I have u2 posters all over my room.... umm no...

lose the more then obvious "the worlds out to get me and my minority brethren" attitude you obviouslly have... it just perpetuates racism...

Get off your high horse yo

Raven
02-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Just wow.. so every single black person on the planet would choose a black hero over a white one, if available... that IS what you are saying.... way to stereotype black people... hell then you go on to do it to all people... fuck... people will always choose what is familiar to them? what kind of horseshit is that? Im Irish so I guess Banshee should be my fave character and I have u2 posters all over my room.... umm no...

lose the more then obvious "the worlds out to get me and my minority brethren" attitude you obviouslly have... it just perpetuates racism...

Get off your high horse yo

I'm Irish too.

The fact is, you aren't black, you don't know. Neither do I. Irish is still white. Give minorities more opportunities to see heroes like themselves at the very least so they at least have a choice.

It has been said by many people over the years, it was mentioned a lot when the Spider-Man movie came out, that the reason people love Spider-Man is you DON'T KNOW WHO IS UNDER THAT MASK. Spider-Man has no color and is every color.

What perpetrates racism is the belief that everyone must be just like you. Black people do not think the same, believe the same things, or want the same things as whites, or Asians, or Hispanic people. To deny that culture, ethnicity, race have relevance is ridiculous. We're fighting a war in the Middle East based on those very things!

So "Yo yo Irish Homie" not everyone wants a cheeseburger. Just because that is all you are serving, doesn't mean that other cultures wouldn't want to eat their food instead if given the choice.

The DarkMind
02-14-2009, 11:09 AM
So "Yo yo Irish Homie" not everyone wants a cheeseburger. Just because that is all you are serving, doesn't mean that other cultures wouldn't want to eat their food instead if given the choice.

I beg to differ on that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOiwODsDtkw) :whistlin:

DemolitionSamurai
02-14-2009, 12:51 PM
What perpetrates racism is the belief that everyone must be just like you. Black people do not think the same, believe the same things, or want the same things as whites, or Asians, or Hispanic people. To deny that culture, ethnicity, race have relevance is ridiculous. We're fighting a war in the Middle East based on those very things!

Sometimes, what I like to do is say that people have beliefs based on their skin color while lecturing people on racism.

Raven
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Sometimes, what I like to do is say that people have beliefs based on their skin color while lecturing people on racism.

NOT skin color, CULTURE.

Which is usually differentiated by skin color.

Why is that a difficult concept to grasp??

Gav Heryng
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I love the way Liefeld's drawing of Obama just looks like a generic black guy.

Gav

Mwynn
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
http://i.livescience.com/images/YB08var_V2_Bronze.jpg

The DarkMind
03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
chapel had a son? :huh:

Gav Heryng
03-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Anyone wanna chip in and get this guy some life drawing classes?

Gav

Deadfish07
03-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Obama's gun looks like one of the light guns they used for the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis.

Gav Heryng
03-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Obama's gun looks like one of the light guns they used for the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis.

The Menacer!

Gav