PDA

View Full Version : top comics artists you follow

Wayne Drake
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
woulda said top 5, but these things will get outta hand one way or another :laugh:

Top comic book artists you follow no matter what:
(follow implying they still are producing work)

Mike Mignola
Mike Allred
Ben Templesmith
Frank Quitely - rumor is he is going to draw Batman, hope that's true!
Gabriel Ba - would throw in his brother Fabio Moon, but I haven't found anything new since his Casanova work.
John Cassaday

discuss :har:

the_beast
01-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Frank Quietly
Cat Staggs
Barry Kitson
Doug Mahnke
Carlos Pacheco
Tom Raney

Rob Norton
01-17-2009, 02:03 AM
i cant say there are many artists i would follow ANYWHERE. like..i love brian hitch... but i didnt care for his fun on JLA. but thats more cause i dont read DC for teh most part. so when my favorite artist goes on a book i dont care for, i dont get to see his wicked sweet art anymore.

case in point.. gary frank. love love LOVE his art. supreme power is one of the greatest books i have ever read. but i dont read DC and dont care to start reading it at this point, so..i dont get his awseome stuff.

john cassady is amazing
steve mcniven
oliver copiel

tho...for some reason, i know that i would pick up ANY book by Joe Quesada, i dont care what it was. and hes not my FAVORTIE artist..but certainly in the top 10. but hes the only one i can say i would follow. for whatever reason that may be. he has a way of drawing anyone that makes it interesting to me.
some artist are only good (IMHO) on certain books. hitch was an example.
also everyone thinks cassadys run on XMEN with Whedon was his best work, but i thought it paled in many way to hsi work on PLANETARY. tho that has a lot to do with the writing and new stories about new characters. i dont know

anyway..its late and im rambling.

pi0trov
01-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Paul Pope
Tony Daniel
David Mack
Mike Mignola
Chris Bachalo

I even bought that horrible Stan Lee Creates Catwoman thing that Bachalo drew. Not sure if I ever read the whole thing, but I love the art.

I'd also include Adrian Tomine and Mark Smylie in my list of absolute favorite artists - although they mostly only do their own creator-owned titles.

xombey
01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
i cant say there are many artists i would follow ANYWHERE. like..i love brian hitch... but i didnt care for his fun on JLA. but thats more cause i dont read DC for teh most part. so when my favorite artist goes on a book i dont care for, i dont get to see his wicked sweet art anymore.
people still stay loyal to publishers?

artists i follow:
ashley wood
john paul leon
gabriel ba
lenil yu
steve rude

there are a lot more andsometimes i do pass up things: i don't follow EVERYTHING they do, but..

Rob Norton
01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
people still stay loyal to publishers?

dont get me wrong. im not "loyal" to any publisher. im just saying on the whole..im a marvel guy. DC comics do not interest me. tho i DO buy certain books when they come around. just depends. but i dont follow the DC "universe".
if a books good.. to me.. then its good and i will buy it.

xombey
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
i AM more familiar with the intricasies (sp?) of the mvl universe, but dc seemed to have the better writers in the '90's. i can't stand 'evnets' so i usually buy independents one-shots from the big companies and interesting storylines ( like old mand logan)

Tayman227
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Gary Frank-love everything this guy does
Lenil Yu-started on superman birthright
Ethan Van Sciver-started on green lantern rebirth
John Romita JR-I like his spiderman stuff especially
Stuart Immonen- just started following him on USM but will pick up anything else he did.
Frank Quitley
Steve Mcniven
Ed McGuiness
and many many more lol

Biofungus
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I follow myself, but I haven't published anything in awhile. I'm waiting for me to get off my ass and get working on that 3 issue mini that will hopefully find some kind of a home later this year.

:har:

I really don't follow comics for the artists, although I admit there are comics I definitely get more for the art (the Hulk series sucks, but Art Adams and Frank Cho?), and there have been series where the art turned me off to the series (I wasn't a huge DareDevil fan, but I was reading it, until Alex Maleev started doing the art).

I do happen to like Stuart Immonen, and will take a gander at anything he's part of, but nothing has really 'caught fire' like Next Wave did. It's ashamed that "budget" was the official reason for it's cancellation...

Dan Hill
01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Jock
Darwyn Cooke
Sean Phillips
Gary Frank
Frank Quitley

And after his recent Cap Comic I'll be sure to watch what Mitch Breitweiser does in the future.

Mark Bertolini
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I follow myself, but I haven't published anything in awhile. I'm waiting for me to get off my ass and get working on that 3 issue mini that will hopefully find some kind of a home later this year.

:har:

I really don't follow comics for the artists, although I admit there are comics I definitely get more for the art (the Hulk series sucks, but Art Adams and Frank Cho?), and there have been series where the art turned me off to the series (I wasn't a huge DareDevil fan, but I was reading it, until Alex Maleev started doing the art).

I do happen to like Stuart Immonen, and will take a gander at anything he's part of, but nothing has really 'caught fire' like Next Wave did. It's ashamed that "budget" was the official reason for it's cancellation...

See, I'd read anything that Alex Maleev drew. He could illustrate the phone book and I'd buy a copy.

Steve Dillon is one guy who I consistently buy work from.
Frank Quitely is another.
Michael Lark. I first found him on Gotham Central, and have since followed him to Daredevil (although Ed Brubaker was a big part of the draw there.)

This would be easier if it was writers, IMO.

robbdaman
01-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Ed Benes, Tom Grummet, Alex Sinclair (yes he's a colorist), Sergio Carriello, Gurihiru, Ted Naifeh, Jack Lawrence.

R~

NickGuy
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Frank Miller-him more than ANYONE.
John Romita Jr-The next highest on my list.
jim lee
Ashley wood
Greg Capullo
Mike Mignola
Eiichiro Oda
Tite Kubo
Andy Kubert
Joe Kubert

as far as people making me pick up books based on their names alone, thats about it. ill add moar if i can remember it

BW Fan
01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Anywhere? Well, like expressed by others here, there are just some books that I just can't go to. So, there are only a couple I'll follow no matter what books they're working on.

Bernie Wrightson
Ivan Reis

Favorites that I enjoy most anywhere they work:

Ryan Ottley
Aaron Lopresti
David Finch / Danny Miki
Sal Velluto / Bob Almond
Mike Perkins
Bryan Hitch / Paul Neary
Bart Sears
Adam Hughes
Ron Garney
Jim Lee / Scott Williams
Ed Benes
Matthew Clark
JG Jones
Mike McKone
Gary Frank
Clayton Crain

Phatman
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Greg Land and Rob Liefeld

Nuff' said

ponyrl
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
steve rude, alex ross, Andrea Di Vito, Alan Davis, Paul Pelletier (sp), Dale Keown.

Buckyrig
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Mike Allred I suppose.

quantum1019
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Joe Kubert and Gene Colan (although, sadly, it looks like Colan is basically retired now due to health issues. Kubert's still going strong though, even in his 80s!)

Others, even if I love their art, will really only end up in my stack if I think I'll enjoy the story too.

If John Buscema were alive, he would easily make the list too.

Wayne Drake
01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
oh yeah, Stuart Immonen. Ever since Nextwave and all through his USM work. the energy he puts into his sequentials is frickin off the charts.

can't believe I forgot Darwyn Cooke - New Frontier, Catwoman and his entire Spirit run are totally gorgeous. And his X-Statix issues. Well, anything. anything new by him I must own.

it's freaky in his Catwoman work because Allred inks over him. so it's like you're seeing Cooke art that wants to morph into Allred but not quite. Interesting tho!

JLillustrator
01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
It would be a lie if I said I buy product based solely on the artists name. The artist will heavily influence my decision to consider a title, but will not be the sole reason to buy a book.

With that in mind, I'll almost always buy stuff drawn by these artists:
Walter Simonson, Bryan Hitch, Alan Davis, Paul Pelletier, Bart Sears, Jim Lee, George Perez & Barry Windsor Smith.

hellblazer72
01-20-2009, 12:40 AM
frank quietly
mike mignola
duncan fegredo
ashley wood
adam hughes
chris sprouse
eric canete
marc silvestri
and recently i've been getting back into jim lee's art
i'm sure there's more but i'm drawing a blank now lol