PDA

View Full Version : Doom Patrol coming back????

Eugene Selassie
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
DAMMIT!

I hate it because I had a great idea for a mini series.

But love the characters, so willing to take any version I can get of them.
:banana:

Paul Sanderson
01-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Great news, but...link?

kdmelrose
01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/010908-Dan20.html

Question 17.

Eugene Selassie
01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/010908-Dan20.html

Question 17.

Thanks.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Ian Ascher
01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I had high hopes for the John Byrne revival a few years back but it fell very short of the mark.

I loved the version before it when a CEO tried to buy the name and the team because he wanted his own group of heroes. The stories and the art on that book were fantastic but, alas, no one cared.

The Doom Patrol is a cool concept but very tricky to pull off. Go too far one way and it'll be percieved as an X-Men clone. Go too far the other way andit's right back in Vertigo land which DC seems to want to keep it away from.

Eugene Selassie
01-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I had high hopes for the John Byrne revival a few years back but it fell very short of the mark.

I loved the version before it when a CEO tried to buy the name and the team because he wanted his own group of heroes. The stories and the art on that book were fantastic but, alas, no one cared.

The Doom Patrol is a cool concept but very tricky to pull off. Go too far one way and it'll be percieved as an X-Men clone. Go too far the other way andit's right back in Vertigo land which DC seems to want to keep it away from.

I liked the Arcudi/Huat run as well.

I say screw that sh**

There are so many books that are like another book when it comes to Marvel and DC.

I say, go balls out and make it like X-men. Can't hurt a franchise that can't seem to maintain a book longer than 30 issues to try something that hasn't been done with it before.

Paul Sanderson
01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I liked the Kupperberg/Lightle run, short as it was. I certainly don't want to see this back in weirdo Vertigo land. That's not where the Doom Patrol belongs.

Eugene Selassie
01-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I liked the Kupperberg/Lightle run, short as it was. I certainly don't want to see this back in weirdo Vertigo land. That's not where the Doom Patrol belongs.

Whoa whoa!

Don't get me wrong, I like the straight up super hero DP, but I also like Morrison's DP as well.

That is why I love the Doom Patrol, there is so much flexibility in the types of stories that can be told with them.

What they SHOULDN'T be presented as is another bad guy beat-em-up team like the JLA/Teen Titans, etc...

kdmelrose
01-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Grant Morrison's run on the series -- certainly the "weirdest" stint since the '60s -- was published entirely under the DC logo. It wasn't until the issue after Morrison left that the comic moved to Vertigo.

Paul Sanderson
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Yep, that's right, but I think that version of the DP has been run into the ground. I'd rather a more traditional approach this time, but that's just me.

the_beast
01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I Think Its Doomed From The Start

Nitecrawlah2
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Loved the Morrison and Arcudi/Huan runs on the title. The characters have so much potential with the types of stories possible with them, I'd love to see another go (though the Arcudi run should have been given more of a chance).