PDA

View Full Version : Cable

Mark Bertolini
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Okay, I just picked up the first Cable trade, Messiah War....and it kinda sucked. The storyline was pretty weak, and the art...well, Ariel Olivetti just doesn't do it for me.
I like the overall concept of Cable protecting the mutant messiah, but it really could have been executed a little better. When you have to make Bishop your big bad, things aren't looking too good. And the fact that he was able to steal a cybernetic arm from Forge and attach it to himself in all of 2 panels is pretty stupid.
I don't know, I don't get it. Messiah Complex was a great story, but the follow up was pretty bad.

Eugene Selassie
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Messiah Complex was a great story up until Chapter 10.

It then devolved into tripe.

I like the fact that Marvel wants their event stories to have lasting ramifications.

The problem is in getting there. They're so worried about getting to the new status quo (New Avengers, Decimation, The Initiative, Dark Reign, Manifest Destiny) that the trip there (Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Messiah Complex) drop the ball in important areas plot wise.

Tried Cable. Olivetti is a good artist, just not for this book or character. The plot is typical decompressed storytelling these days. Cable deserves better and Bishop's character assassination, which started in Messiah Complex only gets worse.