PDA

View Full Version : idea for a marvel comic

galmando
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
i'm not submitting this, it's nothing like that cuz i aint a writer. so don't take this as 'iwant to write to marvel about this' hehe, just something i was thinking of and would like to see.

i was driving today and i thought hey, what would Peter Parker be doing now if he really had been bitten in 1962? how would his life have evolved? would he still be doing his spidey bit?

he'd be 61 right?

so then i thought, ooh, it'd be nice to see some books on particular heroes set in the real world and have them age with the real world as well, we'd get to a point that we already know, where the characters are now, and then go passed that into an area that we probably never see.

i know we have the Marvel: The End books, but i never really thought of them as where these characters ended up. they felt more forced by marketing than for the story.

who else thinks that would be pretty kewl? lil mini series, kinda in the vein of Ultimates/ DC All Star. take the fundementals of the characters, certain historical points, throw them together and then show them age with the world. like a what if?...

maybe you guys have ideas about what would happen with characers like Iron Man and Spidey or even the X-men, apart from Logan obviously, his life gets done all the time.

thoughts? c'mon, it's fun!!!

Dan Hill
01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.marketworks.com/hi/74/74030/FEB072185.jpg

?

pi0trov
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, a series of mini-series or one-shots, done kinda like the DC Generations series might be interesting (depending on the creators involved).

The recent Gen-Next mini by Claremont was apparently sort of like that, dealing with the X-Men actually getting older and their children taking over. I haven't read it yet - but I figure I'll pick up the trade when it's on sale sometime...

galmando
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.marketworks.com/hi/74/74030/FEB072185.jpg

?

this is exactly what i meant by not liking the Marvel: The End stories so much, such as this.

or Highlander rip offs

HaphazardJoy
01-04-2009, 07:15 PM
The recent Gen-Next mini by Claremont was apparently sort of like that, dealing with the X-Men actually getting older and their children taking over. I haven't read it yet - but I figure I'll pick up the trade when it's on sale sometime...

It wasn't much like that really. The X-men are pretty much out of the picture.

robbdaman
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.goodenoughmother.com/uploads/images/full/40.jpg

or

http://www.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/c_71_article_1015829_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg

R~

galmando
01-05-2009, 03:13 AM
that's more like it!!!!!

fluxchild
01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
that's a cool idea actually. I think some of the heroes wouldn't age normally, so why wouldn'tthey form some alliance. The Old Avengers...lol!

Mark Bertolini
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
this is exactly what i meant by not liking the Marvel: The End stories so much, such as this.

or Highlander rip offs

I don't know if this was classified as a The End story, per se, but it was kick-ass.

galmando
01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
you're right, i just meant within that sort of vein.

and yer Flux, that's also another kewl idea, maybe we could see the ancestors of the heroes and those who age differently form a new avengers team, maybe all the books would culminate into that final battle with these new heroes.

when would you start from though? the original start of the marvel U? the 60's or from a more recent date with a few updated origins? it would make sense to age the characters up to present day, lease then you have the setting of today current climate.

magneto would surely be out of the game by now right? same with Charles, these guys would need to hand down their legacy as they reached their twilight years.

i mean, apart from the cloning, how old would Magneto be roughly right now?

robbdaman
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Magneto and Xavier would be in their 70s or early 80s at most, but then again so would Steve Rogers have been sans freezing and all. Heck Speedball would be near his mid 30s since he was created, the New Warriors would be old. :p

SatyQ
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
read Spider-Girl to see Peter Parker in his later years.

Savage Dragon had been trying to follow the real-time aging thing from its first issue - so far they've covered about 16 years. He's been raising a kid that has grown from maybe 6 to being a teenager now (she wasn't around at the beginning of the series - he married someone who already had a kid part way into the run). And of course he does have his own kid, Malcolm, though he was abducted at birth - we saw him born in the mid #20s of the run, and now he looks to be a young teenager (doing the math, the book was probably running from 1992 to 1994 before the birth of the kid so that should put him at 14 - looks about right).

If you really want to see the effects of time on a super-hero, I'd check it out. Probably easier to buy the trade collections at this point.

galmando
01-06-2009, 06:50 AM
i don't know if cap would age like others though, maybe the super serum would protect him?

imagine seing these guys in a fight in their old age when they suddenly realise they just weren't as fast as they used to be

bummer!

HaphazardJoy
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Yeah, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say Cap would age slower. Him and Bucky were both in forms of suspended animation over the years too.

It's interesting to note that Nick Fury doesn't age normally because if the Infinity Formula, but Dum-Dum Dugan hasn't aged either hehehhe.

It's all Marvel's compressed years anyway, but it gets pretty ridiculous when you really think about the timelines.

Mike225
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
It's interesting to note that Nick Fury doesn't age normally because if the Infinity Formula, but Dum-Dum Dugan hasn't aged either hehehhe. :eek: If you're suggesting that they're gay together, we don't appreciate it! :mad:

Mark Bertolini
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I just like the fact that Mr. Fantastic has been presented (in regular 616 continuity) as approximately 45 years old or so, for about 50 years. I mean, he's had that grey patch for the entire length of the Fantastic Four's history.

HaphazardJoy
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
:eek: If you're suggesting that they're gay together, we don't appreciate it! :mad:

I'm all for openness about gay characters, but that's not what I wanted you to get from that statement... unless you believe that the gay somehow have magical anti-aging powers, I'm def down with gay heroes having super powers.

Mike225
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
It's interesting to note that Nick Fury doesn't age normally because if the Infinity Formula, but Dum-Dum Dugan hasn't aged either hehehhe. Probably because they're so intimate. And by intimate, I mean gay.That's not what it sounds like! :mad:

HaphazardJoy
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
So what you're trying to say is that you're a homophobe?

Mike225
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The gay have magical anti-aging powers!

HaphazardJoy
01-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Probably. They're pretty fabulous.

Aidy
01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
If only Graham Chapman and the Mercury had known...

HaphazardJoy
01-06-2009, 09:30 PM
It's the reason why we'll never lose Sir Ian McKellen!

NIUSpydeyHero
01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
He'd be 67 and probably dead because of radiation spreading from the bite and accelerated aging. Maybe that was Frank Miller's motive---to see Spider Man dead at the ripe old age of about 70, or even swinging webs from his rocker while playing extreme frisbee.