PDA

View Full Version : Panels and Borders!!

pboy152
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey everyone! My situation is this: I have penciled 8 Pages of a 22pg comic that i'm doing and well, as I have been starting to do the coloring on the scanned in Inked versions of each page, I keep questioning the spacing and placement of panels in relation to each other and the borders of the comic board!! I can't seem to find an idiots guide to "page layout" but what is the professional approach to setting up panels (if there is one) and making sure i am keeping my pencils within the right border of the 3 printed on the page?? Most of the publications out there touch very lightly on the topic! Thanks!!

j giar
12-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Start here....excellent source and well worth bookmarking. Jim
http://calebmonroe.com/

UniverseX259
12-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Are you using pre-lined boards or are you setting up the trim, bleed, and live areas on a blank piece of paper?

If you're unsure of how to set up your panels, it really doesn't hurt to use a grid. You know, like the 9-panel grids Dave Gibbons used in Watchmen or the 16-panel grid Frank Miller used in DKR. It'll give you a basic layout of how to keep them precise, and of course you can break the grid structure if need be.

As far as border spacing, I work on 11"x17" paper and always use 1/4" between panels. I used to use the metric system when measuring, but 1cm. between borders just left too much blank space. As long as it doesn't compromise the art or the storytelling then I guess you can use whatever kind of spacing you want.